Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iPhone 4 trade-ins up in advance of Apple announcement - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iPhone 4 trade-ins up in advance of Apple announcement

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

Post your comments for iPhone 4 trade-ins up in advance of Apple announcement here

#2 User is offline   inq1784 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm due for upgrade in January, you think ATT is going to cut me any slack? Probably not.

#3 User is offline   thomqi 

• PipPip

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Are there more people who own an iPhone 4 this year than there were people who owned an iPhone 3GS last year? What's the ratio?

Is there any consideration of the number of people with this type of phone having increased in number, and therefore there being a corresponding increase in the number of people who can use and do use this type of service?

Furthermore, since I've never heard of such a service or tactic as selling my old phone before I have a replacement phone, could there be more people learning about the trade-in service from those who used it last year, as well as the same people using the service as last year?

IOW, I'm not really convinced their reasons for the boost in the number of people using their service are indicators of greater demand for the the next iPhone model beyond what would be expected from a greater informed public this year than last year merely from word of mouth and shared personal experiences, as would be expected as time marches on.

What if some of these people are elated at getting some money back on an iPhone they don't want, for various reasons such as all they really want is a basic phone without all the whiz-bang features or a lower phone bill or whatever?

30,000 people last year, and they suspect it'll be double this year? So 60,000? A difference of 30,000? This just isn't impressing me as an indicator of demand for the next model some specific phone, nor as an indicator of great demand for some specific phone. OTOH, there is apparent increase in demand for the service of reselling a phone. This article about these services printing on the last day of max value for such phones that'd be affected by announcement of a relevant new phone on the next day is serving as an advertisement (paid or free?) for the services.

So, this article sounds more like advertising for companies providing this service that would like to get more people interested (such as double, or 15x to 16x times than last year) before the re-sell price drops (per these companies expressed concern), and masked as being informative to anyone who hasn't heard of this service before this last and final day, hence spurring impulse decisions of trading in one's own phone. It's doesn't even really sound like a trade-in, because you don't get a phone from them, you just give your phone to them for money.

Macworld, Macworld, Macworld... It's a good thing the Macalope is too distracted by tech pundits who are in turn distracted by their own imaginations, else the Macalope could find plenty of fodder in your articles for burying you as a poorly performing media outlet, as normal as that has become in this new century. (And to think yesterday I thought the sudden and unexplained short-sightedness of both Snell and Ihnatko was shocking. Apparently they've become infected by their Macworld journalistic peers.)

#4 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

View Postinq1784, on 03 October 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm due for upgrade in January, you think ATT is going to cut me any slack? Probably not.

The latest rumors have the iPhone 5 delayed until first quarter 2012 for everyone except Sprint. So you might have your timing perfect if you plan on staying with AT&T. Of course it is just one rumor but makes some sense with the WSJ story about Sprint committing $20B on the iPhone. I can't imagine Sprint doing that without a WiMAX phone which Apple would never build without a large commitment from Sprint.

#5 User is offline   djmidway 

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Man, I bet these guys would be pissed if Apple just release an iPhone 4gs or something like that.

#6 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

I'm eligible to upgrade in November. That should be a good space of time to see if I want to upgrade, or wait for the iPhone 6 with its 250 gig storage, thee day battery and complimentary backrubs at my favorite spa. Y'all heard the rumors, right? ;)
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#7 User is offline   djmidway 

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

View Postdjmidway, on 04 October 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

Man, I bet these guys would be pissed if Apple just release an iPhone 4gs or something like that.

Funny when jokes come true :blink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users