Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Good Story
http://img.photobuck...f1/aef3bef5.png

I Do Love WWE & TNA Wrestling

#3 User is offline   downunder 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

The first Mac I ever bought was in 1986 and included a sticker saying Apple: changing the world one person at a time. The smell of the immaculately printed documentation in Apple Garamond 90 was, and has always remained, consistent in everything Apple under Steve did.
The miracle (and the magic) was all about Steve's leadership of a very talented company. The reason why I have continued to support them all this time. True perfection, but unfortunately the world will probably never get it the way they should have.

#4 User is offline   jshannon 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:14 AM

Going forward, Apple designers will have to ask themselves, "What would Steve do?"

#5 User is offline   Dogbrain 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:33 AM

That reminds me of another departed perfectionist, Frank Lloyd Wright, who would specify in his blueprints not only how many boards there would be in a floor, making sure that they came out even so that there would not be a narrow one next to a wall, but also specified in his plans such details as having the screws on electric face plates be turned so that the screw was left with its slot either perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical. And, he had the same desire to have everything perfect that Steve had, and ended up with something that critics might consider a walled garden. He would specify not the smallest detail of a room, but also would design its furniture. He left little or no space to hang pictures on walls - the room was the art.

#6 User is offline   deemery 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

View PostDogbrain, on 07 October 2011 - 09:33 AM, said:

That reminds me of another departed perfectionist, Frank Lloyd Wright, who would specify in his blueprints not only how many boards there would be in a floor, making sure that they came out even so that there would not be a narrow one next to a wall, but also specified in his plans such details as having the screws on electric face plates be turned so that the screw was left with its slot either perfectly horizontal or perfectly vertical. And, he had the same desire to have everything perfect that Steve had, and ended up with something that critics might consider a walled garden. He would specify not the smallest detail of a room, but also would design its furniture. He left little or no space to hang pictures on walls - the room was the art.
But unlike FLW's buildings, people can actually use/live with Apple's constructions. Wright buildings were great to look at, but were often uncomfortable or impractical.

#7 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

View Postjshannon, on 07 October 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

Going forward, Apple designers will have to ask themselves, "What would Steve do?"

I think everyone at Apple will be asking themselves that from now on.

#8 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

View Postjshannon, on 07 October 2011 - 09:14 AM, said:

While informed by "WWSD", I think that Steve would want Apple designers to follow their own intuition, their own gut if you will. By doing so they will be able to create the future "insanely great" products in the post Steve Jobs world at Apple.

As Steve himself said:

"It's really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them."

[BusinessWeek, May 25, 1998]

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.”

[Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]

OAS- The Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest at Steve's funeral - Marjie Phelps tweeted from a Twitter iPhone client on Oct 5th "Westboro will picket his funeral.He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin." Wow this is very sad, but it is great that we have such freedom in America. The state of humanity is such that people make far too many assumptions becoming ideologues and mentally disturbed/ill. IMO it is arrogant presumption to state that Steve gave no glory to God and that he taught sin. Personally I think there is a lot of wisdom in "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged." This does not mean that society should give up judging people based on the evidence of their actions, however as a general principal it is good because many times we do not have all of the facts to even begin to make a judgement.

#9 User is offline   Coolnevaun 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

OAS- The Westboro Baptist Church plans to protest at Steve's funeral - Marjie Phelps tweeted from a Twitter iPhone client on Oct 5th "Westboro will picket his funeral.He had a huge platform; gave God no glory & taught sin." Wow this is very sad, but it is great that we have such freedom in America. The state of humanity is such that people make far too many assumptions becoming ideologues and mentally disturbed/ill. IMO it is arrogant presumption to state that Steve gave no glory to God and that he taught sin. Personally I think there is a lot of wisdom in "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged." This does not mean that society should give up judging people based on the evidence of their actions, however as a general principal it is good because many times we do not have all of the facts to even begin to make a judgement.

There is no God, Santa Clause or Tooth Fairy they are man made constructs to make us feel better while we inhabit this planet, in many ways just like "magical" apple products can and definitely do by enriching our time here and now through communication and creativity. Steve Jobs knew this as death is the end there is no afterlife. Listen to the Stanford address, you only have one life don't waste it living someone else's dream. Marjie Phelps is a twit and she will burn in hell. Oh right there isn't one either, we made that up too so no need to worry Marjie.

#10 User is offline   commercial 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

I totally agree, I mean it is weird to think of it this way I would say Steve Jobs is the Jesus of the 21st century. He performs "miracles" but instead of saving people from wounds, blindness, and leparcy, Jobs "miracles" save time! Every thing he created was in sense a miracle, never once before imagined and now we have a phone that talks back to you! He touched so many people just as Jesus had... truly amazing man! (I am not saying Jobs is the next savior nor am I comparing them I am making an analogy between how so many people were touched by them and what they did)

#11 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

View PostCoolnevaun, on 07 October 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

There is no God, Santa Clause or Tooth Fairy they are man made constructs to make us feel better while we inhabit this planet, in many ways just like "magical" apple products can and definitely do by enriching our time here and now through communication and creativity. Steve Jobs knew this as death is the end there is no afterlife. Listen to the Stanford address, you only have one life don't waste it living someone else's dream. Marjie Phelps is a twit and she will burn in hell. Oh right there isn't one either, we made that up too so no need to worry Marjie.

Personally I do not have enough data to make such statements. Also why do we want to feel better? I would like to know just one thing with absolute certainty. If I am truthful with myself I do not even know with 100% certainty that I am here in this plane of existence nor what that existence ultimately means. I have quite of few 9's on that, but 100% -No! But this is just me...

#12 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:20 PM

View Postbettercitizens, on 07 October 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

snip

Please, let's stay on topic.

#13 User is offline   Grapho 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:01 AM

"Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected."
-Steve Jobs

#14 User is offline   Grapho 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

View Postbettercitizens, on 07 October 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

View PostCoolnevaun, on 07 October 2011 - 11:37 AM, said:

Personally I do not have enough data to make such statements. Also why do we want to feel better? I would like to know just one thing with absolute certainty. If I am truthful with myself I do not even know with 100% certainty that I am here in this plane of existence nor what that existence ultimately means. I have quite of few 9's on that, but 100% -No! But this is just me...

I disagree, Steve, more than others will live on within our memories. Books will be written, movies will be made. Steve Jobs influence will carry on for a very long time. In my eyes, he has reached a certain level of immortality, just like Einstein, Beethoven and many other great ones.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users