Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: How do I add a work or home phone number to a contact? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do I add a work or home phone number to a contact?

#1 User is offline   weld 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

Please, somebody tell me that I'm an idiot and what I'm trying to do is ridiculously simple. My new iPhone has iOS 5, and I'm adding contacts. In "Contacts" I click on "+" and add the person's first name, last name, and mobile phone number. Then I want to add a home phone number and/or a work phone number, but there isn't a space for either. There IS a space called "home," but it wants an e-mail address, not a number. There's no space called "work."

At the very bottom there's an option called "add field," but "work" and "home" are not among the options there. What do I need to do to add another phone number besides "mobile"?

(Oddly, when I add contacts through "Phone," not through "Contacts," there's a space for an extra phone number, but it's labeled "iPhone," and that's not exactly what I want; even if I were to enter the person's home number there, I would still want another box for his/her work number.)

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:21 AM

weld, on 22 October 2011 - 01:12 AM, said:

Please, somebody tell me that I'm an idiot and what I'm trying to do is ridiculously simple. My new iPhone has iOS 5, and I'm adding contacts. In "Contacts" I click on "+" and add the person's first name, last name, and mobile phone number. Then I want to add a home phone number and/or a work phone number, but there isn't a space for either. There IS a space called "home," but it wants an e-mail address, not a number. There's no space called "work."

At the very bottom there's an option called "add field," but "work" and "home" are not among the options there. What do I need to do to add another phone number besides "mobile"?

(Oddly, when I add contacts through "Phone," not through "Contacts," there's a space for an extra phone number, but it's labeled "iPhone," and that's not exactly what I want; even if I were to enter the person's home number there, I would still want another box for his/her work number.)

I don't have an iPhone but on my Mac and on the iOS 5 devices I *do* have when you're in edit mode each type of information - each field - that can have multiple values is presented as a group. So there's an e-mail address group, and a phone number group and so on. In each group, the last entry should be blank, there for entering a new member of the group. You can tap on the label for an entry to select a different label (mobile, iPhone, home, work, main, home fax, work fax, other fax, pager, other, ...).

So I would think in the scenario you describe you should just put the first phone number you want to add in the space provide, and change the label to reflect it. When you do that, I think it'll add a new row which you can use to add the next number. And so on.

#3 User is offline   weld 

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:20 AM

Many thanks, Bastion! That worked perfectly. I never thought to click on "mobile," but doing so did indeed bring up a list of other possible labels.

#4 User is offline   kinzamalik01 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:35 AM

its working nicely so many thanks for your sharing

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users