• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

Post your comments for Troubleshooting a battery-sucking iPhone 4S here

#2 User is offline   donhibbert 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I have the iPhone 4, and I noticed that after I installed iOS 5 and used some of the new features, my battery life was reduced dramatically. I think the culprit may have been Wireless Sync. I disabled the option, and now my iPhone 4 battery is back to it's old self again (I can go about 2 or 3 days between charging if need be).

#3 User is offline   MattHoyler 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:37 AM

I work on iPhones and I have heard of this a lot. What seems to be the problem is when you restore from backup. Every single time I've had this happen, I deleted all the contacts on said phones and then the problem was solved, so I'm guessing it's an iCloud contact issue. I've tried to recreate it on my phone, but I cannot, and the reason is probably because I ALWAYS start fresh when updating/buying a new phone. That's just a habit from being a part of #teamjailbreak for so long, but now with iOS 5, I am having trouble finding reasons to jailbreak.

#4 User is offline   GurbirPerhar 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

For me it was iCloud's calendar sync. Calendar items kept jumping and refreshing (I have multiple calendar subscriptions). Going back to google calendar fixed my iPhone 4's battery life.

#5 User is offline   tbertran 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

View Postdonhibbert, on 24 October 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

I have the iPhone 4, and I noticed that after I installed iOS 5 and used some of the new features, my battery life was reduced dramatically. I think the culprit may have been Wireless Sync. I disabled the option, and now my iPhone 4 battery is back to it's old self again (I can go about 2 or 3 days between charging if need be).

That would be surprising since wireless sync only kicks in when tethered to a power cord.

#6 User is offline   ElVox 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:59 AM

I've got battery-kill twice on my iphone4...once on ios4 and once on ios5, and both times it was fixed by removing my mail accounts (have both imap and exchange, 4 accounts total), rebooting, and then adding the accounts back...problem disappears.

I blame a stuck push channel of one of the accounts, just have no clue which account it is, which is why I just kill 'em all :)

#7 User is offline   DonSmith 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

The first day I had my new iPhone 4S I realized it was hot in my shirt pocket. I pulled it out and it was indeed hot, and had crashed. The battery had been suddenly much depleted. Mostly black screen with some fragment of graphics on it. I did a deep reboot and it has been fine since, but I'm not confident it won't happen again.

#8 User is offline   JohnnyO 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

My co-worker had the same issue, whereas my iPhone 4S (which was completely sync'd up with old data and iCloud) sipped the juice similarly to my iPhone 3GS. He ended up returning the phone to Apple and getting a replacement. It took two visits to the Apple Store to get them to agree to swap it. His new phone is working fine.

These were both AT&T 32 GB black phones. One other odd thing was the model number differed between our two phones. Mine was the MC919LL. HIs was the MC922LL. It turned out that the model number was not related as his replacement was also the MC922LL.

You should not have to spend so much time troubleshooting a brand new product.

This post has been edited by JohnnyO: 24 October 2011 - 10:08 AM

#9 User is offline   peterywong 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

View Posttbertran, on 24 October 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

View Postdonhibbert, on 24 October 2011 - 09:36 AM, said:

That would be surprising since wireless sync only kicks in when tethered to a power cord.

I turned off that too and it seems to be better the battery life.

It could be a bug with the wireless syncing, when I do a netstat I see a connection between my mac and my iphone 4s.

#10 User is offline   WhiteKnight 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

So... is this going to be considered "Battery-gate" or "Suck-gate"? It's hard to keep up with the pundits.

#11 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

View PostWhiteKnight, on 24 October 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

So... is this going to be considered "Battery-gate" or "Suck-gate"? It's hard to keep up with the pundits.

Hopefully it will be no variety of "gate" at all, but rather something that's easily addressed in an update.

#12 User is offline   DexterDog 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

I think that you may find that the actual culprit is Location Services and not iCloud. See which Apps are using them - by toggling some of these off, you may find battery life increases significantly. Leading up to Hurricane Irene (I was using the beta for ios 5), I was using a weather app that constantly checked for updates based on my location. Toggling this off had a huge impact on my battery life.

#13 User is offline   jeremyan 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

I have a lot of awdd_2011_xxxxx logs.
Tons of them. I do not know what this means.

#14 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

View PostDexterDog, on 24 October 2011 - 10:47 AM, said:

I think that you may find that the actual culprit is Location Services and not iCloud. See which Apps are using them - by toggling some of these off, you may find battery life increases significantly. Leading up to Hurricane Irene (I was using the beta for ios 5), I was using a weather app that constantly checked for updates based on my location. Toggling this off had a huge impact on my battery life.

If that were the case then I should still be seeing a rapid battery drain, as my location settings are the same as they were before. And yet I'm not.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users