• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Troubleshooting a battery-sucking iPhone 4S

#15 User is offline   daleedwards 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

I have seen the same with my iPad2 3G ... a marked reduction in the battery life (went from 20% to 10% in 30 minutes while I was reading an iBook while on 3G not wi-fi).
Running (sleeping?) in the background were mail, ical, safari, kindle app and airport app. I closed all running applications excluding ibooks and the battery drain stopped.

Strangely, my iPhone4 battery life seems to have improved with iOS5 (about 12 hrs longer).

Both are setup with my Mobile Me account info.

#16 User is offline   hhhofer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

I am having similar problems with my iPhone 4 after installing IOS 5 and iCloud. In addition to the battery drain I am having lots of problems with syncing with iCloud. At first it didn't sync contacts and bookmarks at all. I then tried to wipe the information on the phone and resync with iCloud. It would load only some of the contacts and none of the bookmarks. I went through and cleaned up my contact thinking that there might me some corrupt data, though it syncs perfect with my PC and my Mac. It seems that during these attempts to sync, the phone would get hot and the battery drained quick. Things seem to have stabilized now. The batery doesn't drain as fast, but I can still not sync bookmarka, and I still have fewer contact on the phone than in iCloud. Also, new address entries on the phone don't ever make it to iCloud - kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

#17 User is offline   qualla 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

View PostWhiteKnight, on 24 October 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

So... is this going to be considered "Battery-gate" or "Suck-gate"? It's hard to keep up with the pundits.

Well, if it has to be one or the other ... perhaps it should be XORGate. :rolleyes:

#18 User is offline   Blackfeather 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:24 AM

I had the same problem. I logged out of iCloud, restarted and re-logged back in. Everything synced and never had a problem again. In fact it's better than iPhone 4!

#19 User is offline   macnews 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

There was a problem with battery life on my iPhone 4 when I was beta testing iOS5. Turned out to be a problem with the OS always sending data and diagnotic info to Apple. This is a setting which can be turned off Settings - General - About -Diagnostics and Usage (down at the very bottom) - Don't Send (vs Automatically Send)

Not sure if this is it but once I turned that off had no battery issues. Not sure this is an iPhone 4S problem.

#20 User is offline   macnews 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

View Postdaleedwards, on 24 October 2011 - 10:54 AM, said:

I have seen the same with my iPad2 3G ... a marked reduction in the battery life (went from 20% to 10% in 30 minutes while I was reading an iBook while on 3G not wi-fi).
Running (sleeping?) in the background were mail, ical, safari, kindle app and airport app. I closed all running applications excluding ibooks and the battery drain stopped.

Strangely, my iPhone4 battery life seems to have improved with iOS5 (about 12 hrs longer).

Both are setup with my Mobile Me account info.

See my the post I just put up. I think this is an iOS5 issue - NOT AN IPHONE 4S. I'm telling you to look at the diagnostic info and make sure that is turned off. While it may not be the ONLY thing I think it could be a contributing factor.

#21 User is offline   maydupp 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

View PostMattHoyler, on 24 October 2011 - 09:37 AM, said:

I work on iPhones and I have heard of this a lot. What seems to be the problem is when you restore from backup. Every single time I've had this happen, I deleted all the contacts on said phones and then the problem was solved, so I'm guessing it's an iCloud contact issue. I've tried to recreate it on my phone, but I cannot, and the reason is probably because I ALWAYS start fresh when updating/buying a new phone. That's just a habit from being a part of #teamjailbreak for so long, but now with iOS 5, I am having trouble finding reasons to jailbreak.

I agree. Clean download of contact and calendar data appears to be key. Mr. Breen's first reset apparently included restoring contact data from a backup. His second try, he got the data from iCloud. It seems that is the important part.
Not just iCloud, but for MobileMe too. My iPhone was frequently warm when out of WiFi range. After reading Mr. Breen's column, I turned off MobileMe calendars and contacts, selecting "delete from phone". I did not reset or restore my phone! Then I turned both back on and so far, so good. Battery still at 94% after 2 hours of listening to audio. Hope this is the end of that problem.

This post has been edited by maydupp: 24 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

#22 User is offline   JonSturtevant 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

I the same problem!!!

View Postjeremyan, on 24 October 2011 - 10:49 AM, said:

I have a lot of awdd_2011_xxxxx logs.
Tons of them. I do not know what this means.

#23 User is offline   ScottSchroeder 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

I was having terrible battery problems with my iPhone 4S. Drained around 15% in an hour. Ran very hot. Went to Settings:Store:NYTimes and turned it off. Now I'm draining less than 2% per hour. I don't think I changed anything else. I had already turned off iCloud and most notifications and location services, so I was really getting stumped - hope this keeps it stable now!

#24 User is offline   flyperson 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have an iPhone 4 and fwiw, mine was losing 10% per 2 hours and running warm as soon as I upgraded to iOS 5. In my case the culprit was quite easy to track-down. The new OS Location Services has a new sub menu: System Services. These services by default do not show the familiar arrow icon at the top right of the status bar. However, a new setting allows System Services location usage to be displayed. Just as well as in my case (I hasten to add that your mileage might vary) the culprit was 'Compass Calibration' which was perpetually holding on to Location Services even through restarts. Switching the blighter off cured the problem. What's odd is that I have tentatively switched it back on since and it no longer activates Location Services. Very odd, but there's my tale.

While I'm on the subject I may as well recount the story of my iPhone 3G which when quite new (under iOS 3) also ran hot and took the battery down in double quick time. I downloaded a system monitor app at the time but could not find the process that wasn't letting go (even through restarts and restores). Took it to a genius who also could not find the errant process - the phone needed to be replaced.

Anyway, sorry for the length of post and hope it may help someone out there.

#25 User is offline   chris_st 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

This is both helpful and annoying, it is like a treasure hunt to find the secret cause of battery drain. Although most seemed linked to location/diagnostics, this is still much more of a hassle than it should be to get "normal" battery life

#26 User is offline   dennisco 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:41 PM

I got an IPhone 4S the first day. That phone sucked the battery at a rate of 10% every half hour and I was not using it AT ALL. The next evening I brought the phone back to the Apple store and it was clear something was running and making the stats show the "phone" was being used the entire time when it was not. A new phone now works perfect the same as the old IPhone 4. Clearly there was something wrong as I have put the same apps back with the same settings.

#27 User is offline   Barneyr501 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Welcome to dealing with a cloud-enabled device. Whether it's stuck in a crash loop or what have you, you're now experiencing what Android users are now adept at dealing with. It's unfortunate you had to install an analytics app to get at the issue. I suspect that the more cloud services you enable, the more you'll experience this.

#28 User is offline   dux5 

• PipPip

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

After reading the thread, I'll start the diagnostics by disabling the diagnostic data. I am seeing a lot of "awdd_" messages in the log, FWIW.

Also of note, the battery life on the my new 4s is far inferior to the 3-year old 3GS it replaced. I strongly suspect that it's software related, not the hardware.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users