• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uses for PCMCIA card slot

#1 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:10 AM

I have owned four laptops to date and have only ever used the PC card slot on one of them (the only Windows machine of the four). PBs are so well specced (is that a word?) that it seems a waste of space include this. So I was wandering, what could this slot be used for?

For example - could a video card be put onto a PC card thus enabling PB owners to upgrade the Video card?

Any other ideas?

#2 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2002 - 08:41 AM

I suppose in theory you could put a PC Card based video display adapter in there - but to the best of my knowledge such a device does not exist (for Macs, anyway).

The most common use I put it to - inserting a digital camera memory card (via its PC Card Adapter) to transfer files quickly.

#3 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2002 - 03:40 PM

I have a PCI floppy drive, but I guess that is pretty much as useless as floppies themselves.

#4 User is offline   HKL 

• PipPip

Posted 04 December 2002 - 10:38 PM

wireless network card, ethernet card, modem, and a host of other features.

#5 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 December 2002 - 02:00 AM

There are also professional audio cards, pc card to pci chassis expansion cards, pcmcia hard drives, flash memory cards, usb 2.0 add-in cards, SCSI cards, etc

#6 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 December 2002 - 11:23 PM

Hi
Ports: FireWire, SCSI, USB
Video: Capture
Audio: Capture I think there may have been/is a very very small number of grahics accelerator, output cards
Com: Ethernet, Modem, Wireless
Storage: Flash drives, adapters for flash media, hard drive case adapters
Other: PC-Card to expansion enclosures that include 3.5", 5.25" bays and PCI slots

Of course, nowadays you can many of these in features better in external devices.

MacCheetah3
"Give me pizza"

#7 User is offline   Blitzen 

• PipPip

Posted 14 December 2002 - 07:36 AM

A handy gum dispenser.

#8 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2002 - 09:12 AM

I wonder if it would be possible to extend the Airport card antenna through the PC card slot?

#9 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2002 - 10:36 AM

I use a USB 2 expansion card connected to a hub. I have 6 USB devices (Kensington Studio mouse, EyeTV, Soundsticks, natural keyboard, an rxternal CDR so I don't have to switch out as many cds for different games, and a Wacom tablet). I use my Ti to take some notes for college so all I have to do is eject the PC card instead of unplugging all of those devices.

#10 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2002 - 07:59 PM

how fast can it transfer data? If it's too slow, I'm guessing there won't be video card upgrades. I use it for A compact flash reader. I think you can buy 802.11 adaptors for the slot, but not to extend the built in AirPort card.

#11 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2002 - 10:31 PM

Hi
quote:
I think you can buy 802.11 adaptors for the slot, but not to extend the built in AirPort card.

Some have noted extra distance using Wi-Fi but that is probably because wireless PC-Cards have external antennas and some have bigger antennas. Probably not enough to "flip over" though.
quote:
I'm guessing there won't be video card upgrades

I think, they did have such a thing back in '98 for the Wallstreet PowerBook G3s but it didn't do so well. I can't quite remember the name. It is probably because of the fact it isn't quite as fast as being soldered to the logic board and the fact you must figure out a way to bypass the internal graphics subsystem. Plus the fact that newer GPUs give off much more heat, require more power, and the large amount of RAM takes up a LOT of space. It isn't a reasonble product or probably even possible.

MacCheetah3
"Crystalized fat?"

[ 12-14-2002: Message edited by: MacCheetah3 ]

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users