Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Dealing with iTunes Match's 25,000 track limit - Macworld Forums

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dealing with iTunes Match's 25,000 track limit

#71 User is offline   Fofer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

View PostFofer, on 18 December 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

You can more easily "uncloud" something by creating a temporary 2nd iTunes library (launch iTunes while holding down the Option key,) turning on iTunes Match there, letting it download the index... and then, finally, removing whatever cloud files you want. I wrote about this strategy a few posts above. I successfully cleared out my iTunes Match locker (to start over) this way.

After deleting, just be sure to leave iTunes running for a bit, and also to "Update iTunes Match" just to make sure the deletions have time to sync with the server. I checked by creating another temporary iTunes database, logging into iTunes Match, and confirming the index was now entirely empty.

To add to this, I just read this interesting note on Apple's support discussion forum:

When you delete your library from iCloud, the deletion is limited to 1001 songs. These are deleted immediately. You may then update itunes match to see what is still left in iCloud. You will observe that the number of songs after updating decreases by 1001. You may continue to delete and update itunes match until all the music is clear from iCloud. This should take just a few minutes and you need not wait for a long time.

https://discussions....035816#17035816

#72 User is offline   TikiMax 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

View Postlymond, on 14 November 2011 - 11:39 AM, said:

I'm curious if anyone knows what percentage of iTunes users have more than 25,000 tracks of non-iTunes-purchased music.

I can only speak for myself but I have a 36,500 song library with about 5,500 coming from itunes. The rest are burned from my CD collection. I know I could easily do without thousands of these songs but it's a hassle to cull my collection. I'm going to try the work-around now...

#73 User is offline   userhjig 

• Pip

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Wish me luck. Tonight I take my 48K tracks. Turn them all to Voice Memos, turn on sharing, and slowly add tracks to iTunes Match by turning them back into audio files. This means that

1) I wont be able to navigate my full library via Apple TV.
2) I wont be able to navigate there via the Apple Remote on my iPhone.
3) I wont be able to find the file via the command line.*

Basically it's the same as having a whole new culled library except that I will be able to play the voice-memoed-tracks through iTunes from my server console (which I'm seldom at).

I'm going to have to do this without a net though. Even if I duplicate the iTunes folder (my media is stored outside of the folder), and do this on a duplicate library, once the files are voice memos, the filenames change and the old database/library wont be able to find the files. No point in using the duplicate at all really.

* I COULD turn off the "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised" option and then turning things to voice memo wont change the name. However I like this option as labels frequently send me poorly tagged albums. FYI (since you'll ask), if you turn that option off, change the files to voice memos, then turn it back on, iTunes will go back and change the names of all the files.

#74 User is offline   kimhill 

• PipPip

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

View Postuserhjig, on 30 December 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'm going to have to do this without a net though. Even if I duplicate the iTunes folder (my media is stored outside of the folder), and do this on a duplicate library, once the files are voice memos, the filenames change and the old database/library wont be able to find the files. No point in using the duplicate at all really.

Why don't you duplicate your Music folder *plus* your "iTunes Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files? That would be a 100% effective net.

#75 User is offline   userhjig 

• Pip

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

View Postkimhill, on 30 December 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

Why don't you duplicate your Music folder *plus* your "iTunes Library.xml" and "iTunes Library.itl" files? That would be a 100% effective net.

Because it's 400G of music and I don't want to duplicate all that. Do I even have the space? Anyway, so far so good. It took about an hour and a half for iTunes to reassign everything to Voice Memo. I've now turned on iTunes Match and I've been returning a few thousand tracks to Music (and the Cloud). Over the next few weeks I'll be constantly adding music back to my Match-able library, and sadly missing tracks I want to hear that are effectively locked away from all my mobile devices. Like everyone else, I hope Apple decides to up the limit for those with more tracks and more $$$.

#76 User is offline   kimhill 

• PipPip

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:15 PM

So, when you're using iTunes locally, the voice memo hack is transparent for regular use?

#77 User is offline   Fofer 

• PipPip

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

View Postuserhjig, on 30 December 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

Wish me luck. Tonight I take my 48K tracks. Turn them all to Voice Memos, turn on sharing, and slowly add tracks to iTunes Match by turning them back into audio files.

What do you mean by 'turn on sharing' above? Do you mean iTunes Match? Or iTunes Home Sharing? What does the latter have to do with this setup? Is this because you have a media server console and a separate client Mac?

Anyway... good luck and thanks for sharing these notes! I'll be in a similar boat soon with a smaller library than yours. 32,097 tracks. I knew about the AppleTV limitation that voice memos introduce... but I didn't realize it would apply to the Remote app on iOS devices too. I'm with you on the hope that Apple ups the 25k limit. I'm having a hard time taking the time to shrink my library and having to decide which ~7100+ tracks to leave as Voice Memos ahead of time is going to be tough.

#78 User is offline   userhjig 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

View Postkimhill, on 30 December 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

So, when you're using iTunes locally, the voice memo hack is transparent for regular use?

Yes. When using iTunes locally the voice memo hack is transparent. Playlists with voice memos play just like any other playlist.

#79 User is offline   kimhill 

• PipPip

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:16 AM

View Postuserhjig, on 31 December 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

...When using iTunes locally the voice memo hack is transparent.  Playlists with voice memos play just like any other playlist.

I assume that when voice memo tracks are returned to "Music," everything functions as it did before. It's as if the hack had never been applied. E.g. no altered metadata, cover art, etc. 

I'm just interested in whether there's a downside (later on) of temporarily using this hack. From what we know at this point, it appears that there is no damage done, and that returning tracks to "Music" status makes your library indistinguishable from where it was at the start- aside from new modification dates for the affected tracks. 

#80 User is offline   userhjig 

• Pip

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

View Postkimhill, on 31 December 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

View Postuserhjig, on 31 December 2011 - 06:41 AM, said:

...When using iTunes locally the voice memo hack is transparent.  Playlists with voice memos play just like any other playlist.

I assume that when voice memo tracks are returned to "Music," everything functions as it did before. It's as if the hack had never been applied. E.g. no altered metadata, cover art, etc. 

I'm just interested in whether there's a downside (later on) of temporarily using this hack. From what we know at this point, it appears that there is no damage done, and that returning tracks to "Music" status makes your library indistinguishable from where it was at the start- aside from new modification dates for the affected tracks. 

Create a temporary library and experiment. I haven't found a lasting side effect. However I will say I've discovered that I've lost the track order to playlists after all my work last night. I don't know what to blame that on yet though. Just discovered about 5 minutes ago and now working to verify and reproduce the errors in temporary libraries. Glad I made the copy of the iTunes folder to be able to pull up those playlists (even though they wont play) to recreate the order.

#81 User is offline   Fofer 

• PipPip

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

View Postuserhjig, on 31 December 2011 - 07:43 AM, said:

Create a temporary library and experiment. I haven't found a lasting side effect. However I will say I've discovered that I've lost the track order to playlists after all my work last night. I don't know what to blame that on yet though. Just discovered about 5 minutes ago and now working to verify and reproduce the errors in temporary libraries. Glad I made the copy of the iTunes folder to be able to pull up those playlists (even though they wont play) to recreate the order.

Any update on your project, userhjig? We're in the same boat with similarly-sized libraries (and devices) and I'd like to do the same Voice Memo trick. Curious to know if you've uncovered any issues to share.

#82 User is offline   TreyKendrick 

• Pip

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

I just found AudioGalaxy....it will allow streaming of your Itunes Library up to 200,000 songs.... free!

#83 User is offline   Fofer 

• PipPip

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostTreyKendrick, on 13 January 2012 - 12:40 AM, said:

I just found AudioGalaxy....it will allow streaming of your Itunes Library up to 200,000 songs.... free!

Right but it streams from your own computer. (Same as Subsonic.) Not especially useful if all I've got is a laptop that's not on 24/7.

#84 User is offline   ChadPinson 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:21 AM

I have over 25k songs in iTunes. I originally tried the "create a second library" solution. I reduced to less than 25k songs and successfully ran iTunes match. Then I discovered the limitations of the second library solution regarding adding more music, managing playlists, and turning back on my main library and being greeted with all sorts of problems.

So, I created a blank library, ran iTunes match, and its showed me all of my files in the cloud that had been matched or uploaded. I deleted all of the files, mindful of the 1000 file limit per delete. I have confirmed I have now deleted them all. An iTunes match update says I have no files in the cloud. Perfect.

I reduced my library again, this time using the superior method of just changing the files I do not want to match to voice memos. That is done. I have less than 25 k songs.

I waited 2 days and ran match again. Yikes. It did not let me match or upload anything, and every music files's cloud status just says "exceeded limit," despite the fact that my cloud is devoid of music and I have no access to any music via match.

I am in a limbo where I have nothing in the cloud from match, but I can't add anything because match says I exceeded my limit.

I emailed customer support, and got back a useless email linking me to a very general article about iTunes match. I called customer service and they said this was something the iTunes store people would need to address, and they can only be contacted by email. Sigh . . . .

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users