Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Levinson becomes chairman, Iger joins Apple board of directors - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Levinson becomes chairman, Iger joins Apple board of directors

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

  • Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot
  • Posts: 34,402
  • Joined: 30-November 07

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

Post your comments for Levinson becomes chairman, Iger joins Apple board of directors here
0

#2 User is offline   aralim_1 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 59
  • Joined: 22-January 08

  Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

Something just popped into my head on reading this. Presumably, Laurene Jobs inherited all of Steve's Disney shares when he died. So does she now have any major voting power at Disney?
0

#3 User is offline   jdb8167 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,584
  • Joined: 30-August 04

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

View Postaralim_1, on 15 November 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

Presumably, Laurene Jobs inherited all of Steve's Disney shares when he died. So does she now have any major voting power at Disney?

If she cares to exercise them, then presumably...
0

#4 User is offline   bettercitizens 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 28-August 09

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

View Postaralim_1, on 15 November 2011 - 02:26 PM, said:

Something just popped into my head on reading this. Presumably, Laurene Jobs inherited all of Steve's Disney shares when he died. So does she now have any major voting power at Disney?


She may have inherited the shares, but the Jobs Estate will be subject to the Estate Tax with a 5 million dollar exclusion and a 35% tax on the gross adjusted estate - see http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

When my father passed in 2004 the exclusion was 1.5 million and the tax on the gross adjusted estate was 48%. Man that extra 3.5 million exclusion and 13% tax rate reduction would have helped my family if we would have had those limits in 2004 or if my father had passed in 2011. Or better yet my family would have had to pay no estate tax if he had passed in 2010 due to the repeal of the law.

If Steve had passed last year his estate would have had no estate tax, but since he passed in 2011 his estate will have to file a 706 tax return and will probably have to pay I would guess in the tens of millions of dollars. The amount of tax depends on how the gross estate is calculated. Since Steve had a large estate the trustees can hire the best lawyers and may get part of the tax converted away from the estate tax to capital gains at a much lower rate. Those lawyers can go to tax court if necessary and possibly kick the IRS' lawyers butt.

Most families are not subject to the estate tax. My families estate was and while it was no fun to pay the tax I learned a lot settling my fathers estate.
0

#5 User is offline   anstormacworld 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 06-June 08

  Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

Unfortunately Bob will discover that none of future Apple products are suitable for Disney's content creation.

Just to name a few:

1) Name 3D modeling softwares that works on Lion.
Bob will have Disney buy Windows machines.
2) What is Bob going to do about Disney flavor Androids?
Nothing. He may even snatch a few Apple Engineers to work on it.

Having Bob on Apple's board is no better than having Bill Gates on Apple board.

If I were a shareholder, I'd rather have Bill Gates on Apple board instead.

At least Microsoft will have enough reason to release a 100% cocoa Office suite and a bunch of HTML5 products to move poor Mac web-designers who have no other choice but stuck with dreamweaver.

Bob is a mole and I challenge all Mac users in the world to prove me wrong.
-2

#6 User is offline   nmpike 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 691
  • Joined: 13-February 04

  Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

It's so sad. I've seen so many things happen since Steve died that is the beginning of the demise of apple (not the end, but not the Apple Steve built)...

I've love and hated apple through the years, mainly because they deny apps I've written... Steve would come in and make them approve my apps... I met Steve on a different level than anyone....

I'm not Larry Ellison, I'm not Laurene.... but I was someone who he talked with a lot... on things that ranged from the best way to eat fish to why the hell certain things suck.... he advised me on things I've done, and our latest endeavor was cut short unfortunately.

the people running apple now are not Steve... they feared steve and as bad as it sounds, they were relieved when he died (I'll leave names out, but you KNOW WHO YOU ARE when you said it!!!).

iOS, iPhone and iPad are what they are because steve was UNCOMPROMISING. He never gave in, and he was right. 100% of the time. I've been that way in life and got screwed a time or two.. but Steve was always right.

i'm not a fan boy... I've told Steve a few times what I really thought and he didn't get angry, he tried to understand why I said what I did...

I'm sorry, this appointment is BS. A week off for Apple employees in November is BS. Steve motivated people by showing what they potentially do vs. what they really do... I have hundreds of stories at why people think he was a douche bag, but I have thousands of stories of why he wasn't.

I still miss him dearly... and to be honest I'm thinking of getting out of this business now... because there isn't a whole lot left to get excited about....

In closing, this is me... when he died... I'm sorry people, but technology got a whole lots more boring on October 5, 2011

This is me... talking about my friend Steve... [censored] stock prices...

http://www.koat.com/...949/detail.html

Mike
0

#7 User is offline   cybernaut 

  • Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 17
  • Joined: 31-January 11

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

View Postnmpike, on 15 November 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:


It's so sad. I've seen so many things happen since Steve died that is the beginning of the demise of apple (not the end, but not the Apple Steve built)...

I've love and hated apple through the years, mainly because they deny apps I've written... Steve would come in and make them approve my apps... I met Steve on a different level than anyone....

I'm not Larry Ellison, I'm not Laurene.... but I was someone who he talked with a lot... on things that ranged from the best way to eat fish to why the hell certain things suck.... he advised me on things I've done, and our latest endeavor was cut short unfortunately.

the people running apple now are not Steve... they feared steve and as bad as it sounds, they were relieved when he died (I'll leave names out, but you KNOW WHO YOU ARE when you said it!!!).

iOS, iPhone and iPad are what they are because steve was UNCOMPROMISING. He never gave in, and he was right. 100% of the time. I've been that way in life and got screwed a time or two.. but Steve was always right.

i'm not a fan boy... I've told Steve a few times what I really thought and he didn't get angry, he tried to understand why I said what I did...

I'm sorry, this appointment is BS. A week off for Apple employees in November is BS. Steve motivated people by showing what they potentially do vs. what they really do... I have hundreds of stories at why people think he was a douche bag, but I have thousands of stories of why he wasn't.

I still miss him dearly... and to be honest I'm thinking of getting out of this business now... because there isn't a whole lot left to get excited about....

In closing, this is me... when he died... I'm sorry people, but technology got a whole lots more boring on October 5, 2011

This is me... talking about my friend Steve... [censored] stock prices...

http://www.koat.com/...949/detail.html

Mike


I don't know if you are the real Mike Pike but it does not matter for what I going to say. WIth all due respect I believe that even when I so much admired Steve for the way he basically innovated (not invented) the future for us, I do believe he was not right 100% all the time. FIrst of all, as humans it is impossible to be 100% correct all the time and Second, if you have read his biography you will find out that even he, in his own words, admits many instances in which he considered he has been so narrow minded that he blew it, lost the opportunity for Apple or simple put, the instances in which his decisions "F***up" so much that Apple lost momentum.
Regards
G.S
0

#8 User is offline   bastion 

  • Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 9,272
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:15 AM

View Postanstormacworld, on 15 November 2011 - 04:41 PM, said:

Unfortunately Bob will discover that none of future Apple products are suitable for Disney's content creation.

Just to name a few:

1) Name 3D modeling softwares that works on Lion.
Bob will have Disney buy Windows machines.


Several exist. But it doesn't really matter much because Disney and Pixar have their own in-house development staff. They can, and will, use whatever machines they like to get the job done because they can, and do, write their software themselves. Remember, Pixar actually *started* as a software development crew.

Quote

2) What is Bob going to do about Disney flavor Androids?
Nothing. He may even snatch a few Apple Engineers to work on it.


What are you talking about? Why would he have to do anything about Disney's branded Android devices?

Quote

Bob is a mole and I challenge all Mac users in the world to prove me wrong.


This "challenge" is completely nonsensical.
1

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users