Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Subscription Renewal Cost

#1 User is online   pmcclain 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

I have been a subscriber for many years and would like to continue getting MacWorld. This week I got a letter from Shawne Burke saying only 1 issue left and to sign back up with the best savings of $34.97 for 12 issues.

Is this how long time subscribers are treated? WOW. I’m sure you are aware that you advertise 12 issues for $19.97 if I pay now.

I’m one of those folks who do not have unlimited resources and must watch how I spend my extra dollars on publications. If you will renew my subscription for $19.97 I would love to continue with you. If not, it has been a nice ride but time to go. Maybe I will re-subscribe later at the cheaper price.

Shawne I’m sure, knows a lot more about marketing than I do and I’m sure there is a reason for this. I just can’t imagine charging long time subscribers $15 more money than a newbe.

#2 User is offline   EGM 

• PipPip

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

You might be interested in my posts in this thread. So far, I have yet to buy an issue since my auto-renewal ended. Online access plus reading at the public library (I go there fairly often anyhow for other reasons) have been enough. They could have had $20 a year from me, plus one more subscriber on their rolls when they give advertisers their circulation numbers.

Others may disagree, but I consider screwing loyal subscribers for no reason other than their loyalty to be a sleazy tactic.

By the way, nobody from MacWorld had the decency to reply to that thread, though one poster disagreed with my take. Maybe you'll have better luck.

#3 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

View PostEGM, on 04 January 2012 - 12:01 PM, said:

You might be interested in my posts in this thread. So far, I have yet to buy an issue since my auto-renewal ended. Online access plus reading at the public library (I go there fairly often anyhow for other reasons) have been enough. They could have had $20 a year from me, plus one more subscriber on their rolls when they give advertisers their circulation numbers.

Others may disagree, but I consider screwing loyal subscribers for no reason other than their loyalty to be a sleazy tactic.

By the way, nobody from MacWorld had the decency to reply to that thread, though one poster disagreed with my take. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Hey folks,

This forum hasn't been monitored as often as we'd like, and I apologize for that. Busy winter months lead to things sometimes slipping through the cracks.

As I work in editorial, not subscriptions, I can't speak to why we price things the way we do, but I can understand why that might be frustrating. I'd definitely email our subscription department (subhelp@macworld.com) with your thoughts on the matter; we listen to subscriber feedback, so if you're unhappy, please do write. Sorry I can't do more to help!

#4 User is offline   AllanMarcus 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

WEll, I've subscribed to MacWorld since, well, it started!

$30 for two years as a new subscriber.
$34 for one year renewal.

Moronic.

Heck, I can get $20/year auto renew through Amazon!

Unfortunately print is dead. Tech magazines with months lead time in the internet age just ain't cutting it. Even worse, charging subscribers more to read in a digital format too. Time has it right; one price, both mediums.

I guess I've put it off for too long. I'm not renewing.

Ok, the fact that no one from subscriptions even reads this forum! Great.

-Allan

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users