• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:21 AM

Post your comments for Video: Join audiobook tracks for iTunes here

#2 User is offline   GadgetDon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

I've switched to Audiobook Builder to join items together. Join Together can't create chapter marks under Lion, but Audiobook Builder can.

#3 User is offline   Mr_EMan 

• PipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Is there still a time limit to an audio file? When I looked into this before, it seemed like it was 8 hours.

#4 User is offline   cajhughes 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

If you're a Windows user, then there is a useful utility called "Chapter and Verse" that does something similar to Join Together.

You can find the utility at http://lodensoftware...pter-and-verse/

#5 User is offline   bookmarkapp 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostMr_EMan, on 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

Is there still a time limit to an audio file? When I looked into this before, it seemed like it was 8 hours.

No, I've seen larger, but it's important that you use AAC instead of MP3 for large tracks. Because of the way AAC is encoded, iOS can skip around to different times within the file much faster than for MP3's.

#6 User is offline   phdtop 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

THANK YOU for providing a transcript!!! I wish every video maker could/would do this.

#7 User is offline   Jason Snell 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:44 PM

View PostGadgetDon, on 05 January 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

I've switched to Audiobook Builder to join items together.

Good tip -- I'll check it out. It's not free, but if you do this a lot the $10 is probably well worth it.

#8 User is offline   DrBubba 

• Pip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

Audiobook Builder is "THE" way to convert multiple disk audiobook CDs for listening on an i-device. It's money well spent. I've converted dozens and dozens of audiobook CDs this way and IMHO the results are better than an Audible.com download. Why? Because you can specify the length of each chapter, you can add graphics for each chapter, specify how many combined files to create, choose bit rate and thus audio quality of the converted file(s), and you can easily select a specific chapter while listening. I've recently listened to audiobooks downloaded from the iTunes store, Audible.com and audiobook CDs I've converted using Audiobook Builder, and in every case I've found the Audiobook Builder files to be a better listening experience. Of course, that's just my opinion. YMMV.

#9 User is offline   RickyF 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

This is very useful for classical music and opera, too, since that type of music doen't lend itself well to shuffle mode.

#10 User is offline   richsadams 

• PipPip

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

I can also highly recommend Audiobook Builder. For less than $10 (and often included in various Mac bundles) it does a terrific job of creating a file for iPod/iPhone/iPad use, chapters, cover and all.

Start the program, type the book's name and author and begin ripping. When it's done the file drops right into iTunes books. Audiobook builder is that simple.

#11 User is offline   platonium 

• Pip

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

Never tried Audbiobook Builder. Do SWEAR by the fabulous Audio BookBinder which is free http://bluezbox.com/...ookbinder.html. Liked it so much I ended up making a donation to them.

#12 User is offline   autnagrag 

• Pip

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

I also listen to a lot of audiobooks. I have found no reason to care how many tracks are involved. The tracks do require to be named usefully in order to play in the right sequence, but, other than that, why care if an audobook has 500 files in it. It has never caused me a problem.

Having said that, there are some audiobook publishers that will break each CD into 99 tracks. This has helped me define 1000 tracks as the upper limit of manageable for me, and in such a case I use JoinTogether.

Some of the third party (freeware or shareware) rippers that remove the Macrovision ticks and pops from some audiobook CDs that do not adhere to the published standard for "Compact Disc" will join multiple tracks at the time of ripping. I mention XLD and Max as examples.

#13 User is offline   plauman 

• Pip

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for the article with the useful hints on joining tracks in iTunes. I tried to download Quicktime 7 but it would not install since I have Quicktime 10 on my computer. Any ideas?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users