• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

Post your comments for First look: OnLive Desktop here

#2 User is offline   Dan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

I've never had an issue creating, editing or saving Word docs with Apple's iWork Apps. Pages makes it soooo easy to do. Why the 800 lb. Gorilla when it's not necessary. What am I missing?

#3 User is offline   yomacdaddy 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Dan,

Pages is no where near 100% compatible with MS Word. This has been argued on numerous forums. But, I will give you one example. Try to create an outline on Pages using a numbered list like 1, 1.1, 1.11 or 1, a, ii, etc. Pages does not have this fundamental feature. If you exchange documents in business, the formatting has to be exact. Other programs like NeoOffice come much closer for both Word and Excel.

FYI, Numbers is pretty. But, it is not even in the same book much less page as Excel.

#4 User is offline   Dan 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

View Postyomacdaddy, on 16 January 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Dan,

Pages is no where near 100% compatible with MS Word. This has been argued on numerous forums. But, I will give you one example. Try to create an outline on Pages using a numbered list like 1, 1.1, 1.11 or 1, a, ii, etc. Pages does not have this fundamental feature. If you exchange documents in business, the formatting has to be exact. Other programs like NeoOffice come much closer for both Word and Excel.

FYI, Numbers is pretty. But, it is not even in the same book much less page as Excel.

Understood; for BASIC word processing tasks, I use pages to edit, reply to and re-send/return Word documents I've received from customers. For the heavy lifting, I use InDesign, a program that can format circles around Word. Yes?

#5 User is offline   yomacdaddy 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostDan, on 16 January 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

Dan,

Understood; for BASIC word processing tasks, I use pages to edit, reply to and re-send/return Word documents I've received from customers. For the heavy lifting, I use InDesign, a program that can format circles around Word. Yes?

Dan,

If you have not checked out NeoOffice, you should. I think it is either free or $10. It will do everyting and is nearly 100% compatible with the industry standard programs Word/Excel. If InDesign works for you, that is great. But, again, for the heavy lifting, it is not compatible with Word. Thus, a major setback in my opinion.

#6 User is offline   MrEnglish 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Just started playing with this today and it's very cool. Clearly it's a start, and I probably will use this more for nostalgia and just because it's available than for serious business use. It is, however, very interesting, and well done for what it is. Smooth, fast, and familiar. I like what they've done and hope for a more robust flavor in the months to come.

#7 User is offline   Dan 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

View Postyomacdaddy, on 16 January 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Dan,

Dan,

If you have not checked out NeoOffice, you should. I think it is either free or $10. It will do everyting and is nearly 100% compatible with the industry standard programs Word/Excel. If InDesign works for you, that is great. But, again, for the heavy lifting, it is not compatible with Word. Thus, a major setback in my opinion.

I've been curious for some time about the NeoOffice but never looked into it. Thanks for the reminder.
I believe I understand your emphasis on Word compatibility; its a normal part of your workflow. It's not for me as my final documents are InDesign files. This review by MacWorld and all of your comments are appropriate for the subject at hand. I'm a bit off base with my comments. My apologies.
With that said, may I ask you why it's important for you to maintain nearly 100% compatibility with Word? Is your final result Work docs? Do you produce/print final output through Word? Just curious.

#8 User is offline   sterlizzi 

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

The best thing is the ability to track changes in Word while editing on your iPad. However, they need to provide a way to upload directly from your iPad using GoodReader or something. Then, you can get a Word document in your mail and edit on your iPad. Very cool.

#9 User is offline   prettythin 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostDan, on 16 January 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

I've never had an issue creating, editing or saving Word docs with Apple's iWork Apps. Pages makes it soooo easy to do. Why the 800 lb. Gorilla when it's not necessary. What am I missing?

Dan, I totally agree. I haven't used Microsoft Word since Pages 09 came out. I write heavily and work with publishing houses who use MS Word. We've had seamless back-and-forth editing for years. Pages is elegant and powerful, whereas Word is utilitarian and at best a lowest common denominator. I call it no contest.

#10 User is offline   jescott418 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

I just have to question why people buy a Apple product and have to work so hard to use Microsoft products?
I thought Apple was so great? Its like buying a BMW and putting a Hemi in it? Why? But also why do any document on a Tablet of any kind?

#11 User is offline   Maverick513 

• PipPip

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

I do not use this. But I can see it is useful.

#12 User is offline   wcontello 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Dan,

Your assertion that you cannot make numbered lists in your statement "Try to create an outline on Pages using a numbered list like 1, 1.1, 1.11 or 1, a, ii, etc. Pages does not have this fundamental feature." is patently false. iWork is not a replacement for some MSOffice features but, for the money, it is an excellent software package. In many ways I prefer to use iWork. There are a small, and limited, set of conditions where iWork just won't cut it.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by wcontello: 17 January 2012 - 12:56 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users