Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Enable local Time Machine snapshots on a desktop Mac - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Enable local Time Machine snapshots on a desktop Mac

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Post your comments for Enable local Time Machine snapshots on a desktop Mac here

#2 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for the info. Though I don’t need to use local backups on my Mac Pro, I was unsure how the process worked. I assume the local backups are purged once the Time Machine drive has been connected and updated. Otherwise they would be a serious threat to free space on a laptops relatively small drive, even more so on an SSD equipped Mac.

#3 User is offline   Hairby 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

Does this mean that when an external disk is reattached it will revert to backing up on the external disk and remove the snapshots on the internal harddisk?

#4 User is offline   LexFriedman 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostHairby, on 17 January 2012 - 05:28 AM, said:

Does this mean that when an external disk is reattached it will revert to backing up on the external disk and remove the snapshots on the internal harddisk?

Nope! They live in tandem, hence the discussion of how Tme Machine users colors to distinguish between local and external backups.

#5 User is offline   worksafe 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:06 AM

I believe and you can correct me if I am wrong, that if you display the Hidden Files feature and you look at your "Devices" you will see the "Mobile Backups" that TimeMachine creates when not connected to a external disk.

#6 User is offline   RobLewis 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as local snapshots. Where are they stored?

I just checked my MacBook Pro and found something odd: I have both a purple AND a gray bar for most of the recent hourly backups. Does this mean it's doing both normal AND local backups? My backup drive is a FireWire drive that is almost always connected and powered on--what's going on here???

#7 User is offline   Hairby 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

View PostLexFriedman, on 17 January 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

Nope! They live in tandem, hence the discussion of how Tme Machine users colors to distinguish between local and external backups.

As Whitedog says is that not going to fill up your laptop drive? I like the idea of it i think but not so sure about it on a Macbook Air for instance

#8 User is offline   mretondo 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

This could be just the thing that would fill out my sons backup work flow I created for him. He has a MB Pro but that's backed up to a TC. The bottom line, the time it takes to backup every hour over Wi-Fi is just too long as compared to my iMac over Ethernet.

So I have him setup to only back up once a day. His Mac wakes up at 4:49 a.m. and backs up to the TC at 5 for the whole previous day's work. The down side of course he has no hourly backups he can go to during the day if he needs too.

If I can turn on local backups during the day and then switch to TM backups right before 5 I would have the best of both. Now, to figure out how to create that workflow.

#9 User is offline   mretondo 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostLexFriedman, on 17 January 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

I thought I read somewhere, that one of the purposes of this feature was so user of laptops could take their Macs on the road and when they get back it would sync their local backups with TimeMachine, no?

#10 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

There is a common misunderstanding that local backups are moved to the Time Machine drive when the TM drive is connected. That is not the case -- the local backups stay around. Local backups are deleted as necessary to make room for files, but this doesn't always work reasonably well. You can delete all the local backups by turning off and then back on Time Machine (the big on-off switch in the preference pane).

#11 User is offline   flowney 

• PipPip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

What I want to do is take a snapshot of my home desktop machine and then use it to update my laptop. As well, I want to be able to do likewise to my office desktop. Ideally, I would confine this updating to my user folder and a folder called "Data" where I keep all of my downloads and work files.
Can this be done w/o incurring the wrath of permission issues?
Dr. Frank Lowney Georgia College & State University
Senior Director for External Projects
and Assistant to the Director, Digital Innovation Group @ Georgia College

#12 User is offline   MarkS 

• Pip

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

When I look at my Time Machine backups for a particular file (actually a package), the modified dates seem to be recorded differently between the local and disk backups. Sometimes the file on a local backup shows a modified date *later* than the local backup time. Anyone else see this?

Mark

#13 User is offline   DrKarl 

• PipPip

Posted 21 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Tried this on my Mac Pro and got an error for "tmutil snapshot":

Failed to send message because a remote port for 'com.apple.mtmd' couldn't be created. (error 255)

Can't find anything related to this in a search. Disk permissions are OK. Only thing unusual about my system is that my boot drive is an SSD and my User folders are on a different HD.
Mac Pro Early 2008 8-core 2.8 GHz; iPad 3G

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users