Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Hands on: iBooks Author effortless to use, but iPad-only - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hands on: iBooks Author effortless to use, but iPad-only

#15 User is offline   PeterStephens 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:35 PM

Too bad about no iPhone / iPod Touch support, even though the new iBooks 2 is for both of those devices as well as iPad. I want to make an interactive book for a limited audience, but few of the members of that audience have an iPad.

#16 User is offline   AndrewFortune 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

If you create an eBook on the Mac, can't it be read on that Mac - or will it only read on the iPad. If the latter, this sounds like just a way to get everyone to buy an iPad.

#17 User is offline   veggiedude 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

View PostAndrewFortune, on 19 January 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

If you create an eBook on the Mac, can't it be read on that Mac - or will it only read on the iPad. If the latter, this sounds like just a way to get everyone to buy an iPad.

The eBook can be in PDF format, which is cross-platform and works every where. I tried it and it looked great. Not a solution for all eBooks as you won't have the interactivity and other cool technologies (like html5 and javascript) abilities. Who knows? Maybe in the future Macs will be able to run them. Rome wasn't built in a day.

#18 User is offline   wheat 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

My biggest disappointment was when I discovered that you can't set up an iBooks Author book to enable the end user to select their own font size, font or theme when reading the book. iBook Author is best used only by designers who want to stipulate heavy and elaborate formatting which is fixed.
Wheat Williams

#19 User is offline   zekegri 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostSerenity, on 19 January 2012 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postzekegri, on 19 January 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

You were being awfully kind in the reporting-how about all the missing Flash type interactivity-buttons that can be styled with actions-a timeline with simple actions? Interactivity in layers?

Eh, I think putting in basic support for action buttons etc rather than importing really nice Keynote project transitions seems a little silly. They've covered their bases with Keynote Widget import. Pomp and circumstance is less important to me than the reading experience.

You it seems are not an interactive designer-so calling interactivity "pomp and circumstance" shows your lack of understanding.
A keynote transition only allows a jump to another slide not interactivity within the same slide or any kind of real button action.
Adding layers of interactivity, functions and 3D animations would enhance the readers experience.
So much more functionality can be attained-too bad you can't see that.

#20 User is offline   lynnfredricks 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

Ive done a quick test of 3D import and it works pretty well, even with complex 3d models. Will be demoing it on Facebook tomorrow if you are interested.

http://www.facebook....93518047366472/
Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Mirye Software
http://www.mirye.net
http://www.linkedin....lynn-fredricks/

#21 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

Indeed, Serenity, a lot of your wishes for iBooks Author went unfulfilled. No iBooks reader for the Mac, limited input and output options (though PDF output would enable the Superguid authors to include a Mac friendly version of their work going forward, if it actually works). I suspect this app will follow the same development course as iWeb, which was designed originally to work only with .Mac/MobileMe and got very few improvements over the years. Apple is clearly not interested in creating a global ePub solution. For that one is left with InDesign CS 5.5 and Quark XPress 9.2, which both do ePub more or less as an afterthought. A true ePub authoring program remains unrealized. Apple could have done better, but I doubt they will take the matter seriously beyond authoring for the iPad. In the end, you get what you pay for. IBooks Author is no exception to that rule. It remains for someone to fill this niche with a truly competent app. When they do, iBooks Author will follow iWeb down the rabbit hole to oblivion, never having been more than half-baked.

#22 User is offline   EddieC 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

Great post. Thanks so much for the whole series. This is the kind of thing Macworld was good at in its glory days. Heck, I might have to subscribe again.

#23 User is offline   CPD_1 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostIan147, on 19 January 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Is it harsh to say Apple is banging the education drum but isn't creating a ePub standard (that can be used on non-Apple devices) in order to lock more people into the iOS ecosystem?

I know it is business but Appe slated Flash for a more friendly HTML5 standard but is not playing the ePub standard game. Just seems a little hypocritical.

Also don't see why iBooks Author shouldn't have the ability for simple text only books and iPhone/iPod support.

Well, they do leave you the option of putting out a PDF, but as far as I know, a numberof features that are supported by the iBook Author tool (and iBooks 2) aren't a part of the ePub format. At least not yet.

#24 User is offline   Doppleherz 

• Pip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Yep, what about reading these things in my iMac?

#25 User is offline   trichardlin 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

View Postzekegri, on 19 January 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

...So much more functionality can be attained-too bad you can't see that.

By now you should know Apple is big on simplicity and usability rather than feature galore. There is always something missing. Recall iPhone 1, no App Store, no Cut-and-Paste.

#26 User is offline   bigh 

• PipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

View Postwhitedog, on 19 January 2012 - 06:32 PM, said:

Indeed, Serenity, a lot of your wishes for iBooks Author went unfulfilled. No iBooks reader for the Mac, limited input and output options (though PDF output would enable the Superguid authors to include a Mac friendly version of their work going forward, if it actually works). I suspect this app will follow the same development course as iWeb, which was designed originally to work only with .Mac/MobileMe and got very few improvements over the years. Apple is clearly not interested in creating a global ePub solution. For that one is left with InDesign CS 5.5 and Quark XPress 9.2, which both do ePub more or less as an afterthought. A true ePub authoring program remains unrealized. Apple could have done better, but I doubt they will take the matter seriously beyond authoring for the iPad. In the end, you get what you pay for. IBooks Author is no exception to that rule. It remains for someone to fill this niche with a truly competent app. When they do, iBooks Author will follow iWeb down the rabbit hole to oblivion, never having been more than half-baked.

Pains me to say you're spot on here WD (as usual, which doesn't pain me to say :)

#27 User is offline   jake1 

• Pip

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

Whats up with the templates? I found this via google, http://www.ibooksauthortemplates.com/ but wish that apple had considered the *naked* men in the default templates before pushing so hard into education.
The app is amazing, especially at the price point, but the default templates leave much to be desired.

Also - Where are the templates that show image galleries, quizzes, or 3D objects ? C'mon Apple . . pages templates blew the socks off of iBooks

#28 User is offline   rksummers 

• Pip

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:50 AM

Amazon doesn't require ISBN numbers for its ebooks. I wonder why Apple does, since ebooks created with iBooks Author can only be sold within the closed iBookStore ecosystem.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users