• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Post your comments for Quickly create new Sticky notes here

#2 User is offline   TheISChawlaGroup 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

oh so great! i may finally start using stickies!

#3 User is offline   GBSJared 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

Services in stickies says there is no services and when I launch the system preferences the shortcut for this action is checked off under keyboard.

Is that a system wide shortcut? Why does it not appear in services on the menu? How do I enable that?

If the box is checked under the keyboard shortcuts - why does it not work and why is it not assocaited in the menu of the Stickes app itself?

#4 User is offline   GBSJared 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:14 AM

View PostGBSJared, on 24 January 2012 - 05:10 AM, said:

Services in stickies says there is no services and when I launch the system preferences the shortcut for this action is checked off under keyboard.

Is that a system wide shortcut? Why does it not appear in services on the menu? How do I enable that?

If the box is checked under the keyboard shortcuts - why does it not work and why is it not assocaited in the menu of the Stickes app itself?

I am using Lion - all updated etc. Just some background.

Running MacBook Pro 13" with SSD, 8 GB Ram.

So shortcuts are my thing. I like speed.

Looking forward to input.

This post has been edited by GBSJared: 24 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

#5 User is offline   nbuck 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:23 AM

I had a problem, too. When I tried it on text from this article, I got an error message (with the Safari icon) saying, "The “Make New Sticky Note” service could not be used because the application could not be opened. Try reinstalling the application." The service was checked off in Preferences, too. However, when I launched Stickies it worked, and continued to work as long as it was open. I too, have Lion installed with all updates, and a recent 27" iMac.

#6 User is online   rcmit 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

This work great on my iMac running Lion - except in Mail. In Mail the Command-Shift-Y shortcut is assigned to "Add Sender to Addressbook". (Why "Y"?) I can't seen to find how to change the Mail shortcut to something else (maybe Command_Shift-A). I don't see the shortcut in Preferences.

#7 User is offline   GBSJared 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

View Postnbuck, on 24 January 2012 - 05:23 AM, said:

I had a problem, too. When I tried it on text from this article, I got an error message (with the Safari icon) saying, "The “Make New Sticky Note” service could not be used because the application could not be opened. Try reinstalling the application." The service was checked off in Preferences, too. However, when I launched Stickies it worked, and continued to work as long as it was open. I too, have Lion installed with all updates, and a recent 27" iMac.

...ok.. I get it. Sort of.

You are right - you have to select text to have the shortcut work.

You cannot just command a NEW blank sticky note. Which really makes a question mark appear above my head. Not logical.

If I select the text on this page and hit the shortcut - it will create a new sticky.

I guess this is normal..?

Jared

This post has been edited by GBSJared: 24 January 2012 - 06:44 AM

#8 User is offline   MacManCan 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:12 AM

Everything works fine for me but I'm still a bit confused on the whole keyboard thing in "preferences". Why does "Services Preference" come up under keyboard, and then how do all the other settings work. In the keyboard service section there is a check box under internet "Add to Reading List" I have this checked but that option does not appear in the Services menu when I hi-light text on a web page.

#9 User is offline   marilynat107 

• PipPip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

The shortcut worked for me exactly as described in the article. White MacBook, Lion. I love it--lightning fast!
I use Stickies a lot and now it will be fun instead of clunky! Love this hint! Thanks a bunch!

#10 User is offline   GBSJared 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostMacManCan, on 24 January 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

Everything works fine for me but I'm still a bit confused on the whole keyboard thing in "preferences". Why does "Services Preference" come up under keyboard, and then how do all the other settings work. In the keyboard service section there is a check box under internet "Add to Reading List" I have this checked but that option does not appear in the Services menu when I hi-light text on a web page.

Ya... it confusing. For sure.

Based on what I just learned. I tried this and it may be what you are looking for.

Highlight the URL of the web page you want to add to the reading list. Then go to Services in the Safari Menu.

Down the list "Add to Reading List" should appear. But. This is not a keyboard shortcut. Its a menu item to me.

Holding Shift+clicking a link is faster to me.

This what you were looking for?

Jared

This post has been edited by GBSJared: 24 January 2012 - 07:27 AM

#11 User is offline   Strawtag 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Everybody should be using Services Manager. It's not perfect, but it's better than the Keyboard prefpane.
http://macosxautomat...ervicesmanager/

And, btw, you might want to make widgets instead of Stickies.
http://hints.macworl...009052714461214

#12 User is offline   ma_bear 

• Pip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

As long as I've been using Mac I still don't fully incorporate shortcuts, but I'm very happy to learn of this one. Makes saving notes so quick and easy!

#13 User is offline   Strawtag 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostStrawtag, on 24 January 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Everybody should be using Services Manager. It's not perfect, but it's better than the Keyboard prefpane.
http://macosxautomat...ervicesmanager/

And, btw, you might want to make widgets instead of Stickies.
http://hints.macworl...009052714461214

I've now submitted a hint that incorporates Mac OS X Services to create the Sticky Widget. No guarantees, of course, but you might want to keep an eye out for it at hints.macworld.com

#14 User is offline   mskocko 

• PipPip

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Killer tip! Command-Shift-Y (after highlighting text) will save me tons of time. Thanks!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users