Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Can't Access Time Machine Backups After Lion Install - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can't Access Time Machine Backups After Lion Install

#1 User is offline   macgurrl 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

I took the plunge this past week and did a clean install of Lion X on my imac. Everything went smoothly except now I can't automatically access my time machine backups except for the ones created with Lion. Luckily, I can still access them manually and drag and drop what I need. What I want to know is this a common problem and why hasn't it been fixed by now. I use a Western Digital external drive for my time machine backups. I have already done a lot of google searches and can't seem to find any answers. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. <_<

#2 User is offline   puertoricanmac 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for sharing with us...that is good information to know.

My guess as a long time PC tech is that it has to do with some sort of registrations between one OS X and the new one (e.g. a different user name on the second OS X install). I am glad that you can still access Time Machine backups manually, I had seen that I could do that the other day and am glad Apple makes it that easy for us.

- dave | Orlando FL

#3 User is offline   guyfry 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

I erased my hard drive and reinstalled Lion. After the installation Lion could NOT find my Time Machine, so I transferred manually from my Time Machine HD. Now When I Get Info it says
Used: 94.7 GB.
Available: 24.39
Opening the MacBook Pro (Lion, OS X 10.7.3, 2.2 GHz Intel Core Duo with 4 GB 667 MHz DDR1 SDRAM), There is only about 23 MB total.
Where are the 70 GB's?
I have only, according to Get Info, I have only 24.34 GB available.
How can I remove the 70 GB that I can't see?

This post has been edited by guyfry: 13 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

View Postmacgurrl, on 30 January 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

I took the plunge this past week and did a clean install of Lion X on my imac. Everything went smoothly except now I can't automatically access my time machine backups except for the ones created with Lion. Luckily, I can still access them manually and drag and drop what I need. What I want to know is this a common problem and why hasn't it been fixed by now. I use a Western Digital external drive for my time machine backups. I have already done a lot of google searches and can't seem to find any answers. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. <_<

This is not a Lion issue, and in fact Lion has a better way of dealing with it than was previously available. The problem is that if you erased the disk for your "clean install" it's not the same disk any more as far as Time Machine is concerned. Lion provides explicit support for remedying this.

http://www.macworld....ac_in_lion.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users