• Group: MW Bot

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Place your bets! here

#2 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:24 AM

View PostMacworld, on 11 February 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

If there’s one thing the Macalope’s learned from the Internet, it’s that people have all kinds of weird fetishes.

The biggest being the failure to understand that people who don't agree with them aren't just fanboys or suckers of marketing :blink:

#3 User is offline   ZombieReagan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

Moritz has moved over to Bloomberg/Businessweek, where they have him on wither a tighter leash or better meds. At any rate he apparently is not permitted to write opinion pieces.

One of his last pieces for The Street was in September, titled '5 Items You Won't See at Apple's Show' and #1 was Steve Jobs and "his "one more thing" schtick and his "magical" and "revolutionary" pronouncements". Stay classy, Moritz.

#4 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:45 AM

Regarding Metro only... This just isn't a big deal. Choice is good. Like Metro, use Metro, like Desktop, use desktop. Better yet, use what's more convenient at the time.

A far bigger deal, just as egregious as what I criticize Apple for (and less forgivable, coming from MS) is "Windows Store Only" and curation. As far as this person goes, "it's not happening".

This post has been edited by klahanas: 11 February 2012 - 07:46 AM

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#5 User is offline   hww11 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:00 AM

"This changes how we look at tablets."

Squint, squint, squint, ......

#6 User is offline   NaOH 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

How is putting the full desktop experience on a tablet computer any different to what Microsoft tried 10 years ago?

#7 User is offline   won 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:03 AM

Uh.. Macalope?

http://www.thestreet...e-iphone-4.html

http://www.thestreet...e/10378532.html

#8 User is offline   won 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Also:

http://www.thestreet...-will-flop.html

You seem to be referencing page 2 of that article (in other words, on page 2, those are the last three paragraphs of the article, not the first three).

#9 User is offline   LenWilliamsrar3 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:14 AM

Ah Macalope! I breathe a sigh of relief every time I read one of your Saturday columns. You are my surrogate haranguer of the MPTBP (morons pretending to be pundits).

#10 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostDocNo, on 11 February 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

View PostMacworld, on 11 February 2012 - 07:01 AM, said:

If there’s one thing the Macalope’s learned from the Internet, it’s that people have all kinds of weird fetishes.

The biggest being the failure to understand that people who don't agree with them aren't just fanboys or suckers of marketing :blink:

Yep; and these are all just tools, what matters is what you produce with them. That what Steve wanted to create --great tools. So use the tool of your choice, but create, create, create...

#11 User is offline   bawilliamson 

• PipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

As reported on Daring Fireball, Jim Cramer wrote a piece on Feb. 6th titled "The Best Super Bowl Ad," which totally nailed why Apple doesn't need to buy those kinds of ads anymore. Here's what he wrote:

"I saw a lot of commercials last night that were cute. Funny dogs. Smiling, mischievous babies. Lovable polar bears. I saw some stupid ones, too, like the insulting and endless demeaning of women by GoDaddy, or something about a kid relieving himself in pool. I guess that was an ad for porta-potties?

But there was one ad that struck me as the most honest, most riveting and most compelling of all. You see, the game had just ended, and Colts great Raymond Berry ran the Giant gantlet with the Lombardi Trophy. Suddenly it seemed like every other Giant pulled out an Apple iPhone to snap pictures of the moment.

One after another after another. And I said to myself, there it is, not some pet dangling a bag of chips or some headlights killing vampires or King Elton getting trapdoored. Nope, there was an ad worthy of Steve Jobs and the company he built.

Of course, it wasn't an ad. It was just a collection of the most cool, most idolized competitors in the world whipping out their favorite device, which they had on the field, ready for action."

#12 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostNaOH, on 11 February 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

How is putting the full desktop experience on a tablet computer any different to what Microsoft tried 10 years ago?

It's not. And didn't they just announce you will have to use the four Office apps they are allowing on WOA (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and something I've never heard of) and denying all other non-Metro software? Is this what they call the full Windows experience?

Ballmer is lucky the MS board is a bunch of bozos who couldn't find their butts with a map and both hands. Otherwise, he'd be amongst the unemployed. (Who else would hire him now that Enron is out of business?)

This post has been edited by leicaman: 11 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#13 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Windows 8 and the Google Entertainment thingy that's *rumored* all over the web will have exactly the same impact on Apple: Zero point zero zero – unless, of course, they repel people from Windows and Android more quickly than they're already deserting (what's next after "droves").

The punditbots will be fun to laugh at in the interim, though.

#14 User is offline   TheMacalope 

• Mythical Beast

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

View Postwon, on 11 February 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Also:

http://www.thestreet...-will-flop.html

You seem to be referencing page 2 of that article (in other words, on page 2, those are the last three paragraphs of the article, not the first three).

Thanks for the links. The Macalope got the dead ones from some of his older pieces. He's posted a parenthetical correction above.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users