• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Post your comments for Mountain Lion's new features here

#2 User is offline   BeeDeeAych 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

After 30 years, Apple finally makes an OS that I don't want.

Three words: Snow Leopard Forever.

#3 User is offline   Davidlgxb 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

A little dramatic don't you think? We are not talking about system 7 here. Plus, these changes make sense and I'm glad there will be more parity across all apple devices. Isn't parity among ones devices what Apple has been about for the past 16 years.

#4 User is offline   BeeDeeAych 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostDavidlgxb, on 16 February 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

A little dramatic don't you think? We are not talking about system 7 here. Plus, these changes make sense and I'm glad there will be more parity across all apple devices. Isn't parity among ones devices what Apple has been about for the past 16 years.

If I wanted an iPad, I'd have bought an iPad. I wanted a computer so I bought a Mac Pro. Feature parity is great as long as you're a fan of the lowest common denominator. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be depressing for a lot of folks.

#5 User is offline   Jamesleparis 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostDavidlgxb, on 16 February 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

If I wanted an iPad, I'd have bought an iPad. I wanted a computer so I bought a Mac Pro. Feature parity is great as long as you're a fan of the lowest common denominator. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be depressing for a lot of folks.

I wanted a tablet so I bought an iPad. I wanted a computer so I bought a MacBook Pro. Feature parity is great if you want them to work together. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be really terrific for a lot of folks.

#6 User is offline   DanielAlderman 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I can only agree that this is the second OS Apple has come out with that I will pass on. The only thing I see as useful is Notes, I use that a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

As the man said, I wanted an iPad so I bought an iPad, love it, I wanted a computer so I bought an iMac, it died, Apple replaced it with a Lion model, took it back and insisted on a SL model.
Be ok if a Lion could be made to run SL but it will not even run as a VM.
Apple stock broke 500, Wonder how long that will last?
iOS belongs on iOS devices not on the computer.
So far Lion is the worst OS since Vista or maybe Windows Me.
Apple doesn't care as iOS devices are what they see as the future, us old-timers no longer make enough for Apple to matter.
I suppose that time marches on with or without.

#7 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

this is going to be depressing for a lot of folks.

No where near enough to affect Apple in the least. Lion was chocked full of overdue improvements, and Mountain Lion looks like it's going to bring some much needed unification between iOS and OSX (thank you for also dropping Mac from Mac OSX - finally!)

Live in the past or switch to something else - but just remember, for each compatriot whining your same objections there are literally tens of thousands of normal people who don't even read sites like this, let alone comment in threads like this, who couldn't care less. The choice is yours...

#8 User is offline   BeeDeeAych 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostJamesleparis, on 16 February 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be really terrific for a lot of folks.

Believe it or not, I both understand and agree. My only point was that for me, and some others like me, this is one of those moments when you first realize that something you love isn't yours anymore. Like the first time you see an old girlfriend with another guy, or about 10 minutes into "The Phantom Menace" you realize that Star Wars is going to suck from here on out.

Clearly the old timers are in the minority. Time to take a swig of Geritol and chase some kids off the lawn.

Peace out.

#9 User is offline   JayProspero 

• Pip

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Wish they'd get rid of that fugly leather look and either stick with the grey windows/title bars or go for a change and have that nice black look used in the Reminders app. Apart from that I'm liking it so far.

#10 User is offline   chase 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

these photos are way too tiny to see.
why is there no full screen option?

#11 User is offline   magoo2 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:54 AM

** OS X 10.5 Leopard was the greatest update ever **

I somewhat agree that Lion and Mountain Lion are an attempt to bring OS X to the minimum common denominator, i.e. to the iPad/iPhone level (instead of viceversa, unfortunately).

To me the last really amazingly great update was 10.5 Leopard.
Just think at:
- Quick Look
- Time Machine (including over the air backups!)
- Bootcamp
- better Automator and Preview
- screen sharing via iChat
- boolean searches in Spotlight
- Core Animation
- .....(and many more)

it was just an impressive update and I remember I rushed out to purchase a new mac that could support it.
How many of these features do we use every day since then!!

From the end user point of view, all that came after (Snow Leopard, Lion) seem just lame minor tweaks.
I don't know Mountain Lion for now, but hopefully some great improvements are planned but not yet disclosed.

#12 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

I'm still considered a newbie in the Apple world. My first Mac was a new MacBook Unibody 3 years ago (March '09). Anyone care to guess what made me switch, after 14 years of Windows? Vista! OS X isn't perfect, but it's a far cry from comparing it to ANYTHING named Windows.

Anyone who compares OS X to Vista really needs to find a way to take out frustrations, because I haven't had an issue with OS X yet that would remotely have me compare it to Vista, period! I find each version to be somewhat refreshing, and more capable than the previous.

I started with Leopard. Then I eagerly upgraded to Snow Leopard (on release day), and excitedly upgraded to Lion (on release day). For me, Mountain Lion can't come fast enough. I'll be buying it, on release day, as well.

Yes, I own an iPad 2, iPhone 4S, Apple TV 2nd Gen., Time Capsule, Airport Express and my iMac. Microsoft products that I own? An Xbox 360 that I bought before Christmas and never play it...

Previous Apple products: original iPad, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, MacBook Unibody 2.4Ghz C2D... all in the past 3 years. No, I've never owned an iPod...

#13 User is offline   UberTech 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

It's pretty bad when a tech company ports a few mobile apps and calls it a new operating system. I don't care how much of an Apple fan you are (and I own a Macbook, Mac Mini, iPhone S, and an iPod Touch) but you can't honestly and with a straight face call this innovation. Unless you're a troll or shill. This is stuff that would be a free service pack with Microsoft. Apparently innovation died in Cupertino with Steve Jobs.

#14 User is offline   RamaFan 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

Gatekeeper is the most startling app I've seen. Apple said they wouldn't force developers to move to the app store; they said they wouldn't lock things like windows has with 'signed' and 'unsigned' approval models but here it is.

The developers had a right to be worried; I predict that in the next update you won't be able to opt out of either a signed app or purchasing on the app store; the update after that you'll just be able to buy apps on the app store only.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users