• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mountain Lion's new features

#15 User is offline   UberTech 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostRamaFan, on 17 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Gatekeeper is the most startling app I've seen. Apple said they wouldn't force developers to move to the app store; they said they wouldn't lock things like windows has with 'signed' and 'unsigned' approval models but here it is.

The developers had a right to be worried; I predict that in the next update you won't be able to opt out of either a signed app or purchasing on the app store; the update after that you'll just be able to buy apps on the app store only.

This is something that Open Source developers have been trying to raise awareness of since App Store was announced three years ago. Nobody listened. There is going to be a lot people who can say "I told you so". Unfortunately it all comes down to money. People today are way too willing to give up their freedoms for a few bucks. Liberty and freedom in this country died when they cut down the liberty tree to put in a parking lot for large SUVs (yes that is a figure of speech). Does that sound dramatic when it comes to restriction of apps on a computing platform? Yes. But its a slippery slope that human-kind has an extensive documented history of abuse for.

#16 User is offline   chrisozman 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

After 30 years, Apple finally makes an OS that I don't want.

Three words: Snow Leopard Forever.

That happened for me with Lion, I've had it for months on USB but, given it's appalling reputation on so many levels, I'm still not game to install it until I've finished a row of editing jobs (ditto with Final cut pro X) Given the risks, I still can't see any reason to install Lion, let alone anything else. And I am a person who has always installed with glee the new OS everytime over the last 12 years. Older, wiser, Apple treating pro-customers with contempt as they rake in their billions in dumbed down consumer crap, all adds up to a snow leopard future for me.

#17 User is offline   WarrenS 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

[quote name='DanielAlderman' timestamp='1329452256' post='955406']
I can only agree that this is the second OS Apple has come out with that I will pass on. The only thing I see as useful is Notes, I use that a lot on my iPhone and iPad.

http://pogue.blogs.n...e-once-amazing/ In this column David Pogue explains how tired the rest of us are of all the old guy crap that gets spouted as if it were some new revelation. It is change, get over it, go to your cave on your electric go cart, and use your old SL or linx or system 7 who cares. If you want to live in the past stay put, you will be there tomorrow.

This post has been edited by WarrenS: 17 February 2012 - 08:19 AM

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

#18 User is offline   LelandHendrix 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

For all the gripes and growls, and especially all the extolling of Snow Leopeard, remember this..

Mountain Lion is to Lion, as Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

There are a lot of under-the-hood improvements going on. I'm glad to see better integration of iCloud, especially since system settings synchronization had disappeared with MobileMe!

Andy why, pray tell, should we NOT get pop-up notifications of reminders that we set on our phone? Why should we be forced to go into iCal for to-do lists? Why should we not have an app for notes that doesn't require us to launch and dig into otherwise hidden folder structure on Mail!?!?

There has been a LOT of iPhone "halo" effect--people buying Macs in droves because their first Apple product was iOS. But these "feature-parity" apps and tweaks aren't just for them, they are moving toward a very SENSIBLE paradigm! If we had to dig around in mail on iOS to set a reminder, we (I!) would be furious. Why lament moving to ONE, reasonable way to do everything??!!

#19 User is offline   gdjvj 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

View PostJamesleparis, on 16 February 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be really terrific for a lot of folks.

Believe it or not, I both understand and agree. My only point was that for me, and some others like me, this is one of those moments when you first realize that something you love isn't yours anymore. Like the first time you see an old girlfriend with another guy, or about 10 minutes into "The Phantom Menace" you realize that Star Wars is going to suck from here on out.

Clearly the old timers are in the minority. Time to take a swig of Geritol and chase some kids off the lawn.

Peace out.

Is this the first time you see your ex girlfriend with another guy?
I've seen mine dating entire tribes.
I adjusted quite happily with an elegant and stylish new girlfriend into the small environments of my iPhones, iPads and MacBook Air, but to productively create something serious on a big and powerful screen, my ex was clearly more adequate.
G.

#20 User is offline   DanielJohnson 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

View PostUberTech, on 17 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

It's pretty bad when a tech company ports a few mobile apps and calls it a new operating system. I don't care how much of an Apple fan you are (and I own a Macbook, Mac Mini, iPhone S, and an iPod Touch) but you can't honestly and with a straight face call this innovation. Unless you're a troll or shill. This is stuff that would be a free service pack with Microsoft. Apparently innovation died in Cupertino with Steve Jobs.

Must disagree.
Apple provides incremental OS updates at approx. $30.
Microsoft provides crippled versions of its OS unless you want to shell out $400 for Ultimate. At $400 I would certainly hope that they add features for free via SP updates.
Lion has been a flawless and welcome upgrade in my world. Runs perfectly on my Late 2007 iMac and my new MBP.

#21 User is offline   iJavaJoe 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

I don't see how Moutain Lion is taking any features away, if anything it's making it easier to access features. Allot of the nay sayers remind me of old windows coders that would say, "if it was hard to write it should be hard to use". If there were no IOS and these Mountain Lion features were added would you all be singing this same negative song. So far I've heard nothing fron the ML haters to shy me away from this upgrade. If you want to convince me give me some specific examples of what's bad. Also has Apple even announced a price for this upgrade. If recent upgrades can be used as a guide it will be anywhere from free to $20 so don't bark about cost untill we get to see the numbers following the doller sign.

#22 User is offline   jeremyab 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:39 PM

I haven't seen any screenshots of Finder windows. Did Apple put back the color into the sidebar along with enabling user icons?

#23 User is offline   jsisti 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

When is apple going to switch over all their products to the new A chip set?

#24 User is offline   AndreHunt 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

I am new to Apple. I started with the iPhone and I now found that Apple is enjoyable. Lacking, but enjoyable.I liked SL and Lion added features I liked. Now there is Mountain Lion??? I downloaded Messages and I like that I can contact with messenger, but I do not like look of it. If the name and preview wasn't so large it would be great. I don't feel the Notes will be a good feature. Notification is cool, but I don't know how it will look and work on a Mac. The screen isn't that big. Maybe it will be ok on an iMac. Reminders, Share Sheets, Gatekeeper looks easy to secure a mac. AirPlay Mirroring seems like something that was in a previous feature and had a make over. Think the position Apple is in right now, they are running out of original ideas. Not as exciting as before.

I wish instead of all these changes, a way to use some of the Windows based programs on a mac. I cannot use a Dell printer on Lion, that would work on SL. I can point some problems out, but going back to SL and putting the options of Mountain and Lion in them would be the best.

#25 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

View PostRamaFan, on 17 February 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

Gatekeeper is the most startling app I've seen. Apple said they wouldn't force developers to move to the app store; they said they wouldn't lock things like windows has with 'signed' and 'unsigned' approval models but here it is.

The developers had a right to be worried; I predict that in the next update you won't be able to opt out of either a signed app or purchasing on the app store; the update after that you'll just be able to buy apps on the app store only.

Steven Frank (a developer at Panic) has a post over on the company's blog that you may find interesting. http://www.panic.com...out-gatekeeper/

#26 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

View PostJamesleparis, on 16 February 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostDavidlgxb, on 16 February 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 05:24 PM, said:

After 30 years, Apple finally makes an OS that I don't want.

Three words: Snow Leopard Forever.

A little dramatic don't you think? We are not talking about system 7 here. Plus, these changes make sense and I'm glad there will be more parity across all apple devices. Isn't parity among ones devices what Apple has been about for the past 16 years.

If I wanted an iPad, I'd have bought an iPad. I wanted a computer so I bought a Mac Pro. Feature parity is great as long as you're a fan of the lowest common denominator. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be depressing for a lot of folks.

I wanted a tablet so I bought an iPad. I wanted a computer so I bought a MacBook Pro. Feature parity is great if you want them to work together. I don't expect everyone to understand or agree, but the fact remains, this is going to be really terrific for a lot of folks.

Agree, it's basically -apart from a few features so far - an update - for which we'll have to pay - not an upgrade. OS X for me stopped being a Mac after Leopard which was the single most incredible OS.

#27 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

View PostDocNo, on 16 February 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

View PostBeeDeeAych, on 16 February 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

this is going to be depressing for a lot of folks.

No where near enough to affect Apple in the least. Lion was chocked full of overdue improvements, and Mountain Lion looks like it's going to bring some much needed unification between iOS and OSX (thank you for also dropping Mac from Mac OSX - finally!)

Live in the past or switch to something else - but just remember, for each compatriot whining your same objections there are literally tens of thousands of normal people who don't even read sites like this, let alone comment in threads like this, who couldn't care less. The choice is yours...

"there are literally tens of thousands of normal people who don't even read sites like this, let alone comment in threads like this, who couldn't care less."
That goes for your comment as well :-)
It's not living in the past, it's that the future could have improved.

#28 User is offline   zetal 

• PipPip

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

you're all sooo emotional about Mountain Lion..
until we see it and use it, there is no point of even discussing it.
if somebody saw a presentation, it means NOTHING . period.
to see a presentation is NOT using a new system by yourself.
like...don't like...it's waste of your time here.
We MUST trust Mac developers.
If people will keep criticizing them, will happen the same what is happening to Windoz.
too much critics, too much garbage from people who have no idea what they are talking.
After all, not YOU who is on the other side - a smart developer with ideas.
SO...let them keep developing, and stop this f...b... with useless "points" and "advices"

This post has been edited by zetal: 17 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users