• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

Post your comments for Uncle Sam wants iPads, and maybe Androids here

#2 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Does it make sense to adopt as a vital component in our military a product assembled in a country that's ruled by a government whose murderous past, repressive present and troublesome relations with its weaker neighbors means we'd never sell it military hardware. In short, should we be buying military 'stuff' from a country to which we would never sell military 'stuff.'

I can understand the temptation. The iPad is a bright and shining new toy and for USAF pilots it'd beat lugging around a lot of paper. And bypassing the long and drawn out design and development process for solely military hardware would be marvelous. The news that there'll be a version of Scrivener for the iPad is making me think of getting one. But I'm not tasked with protecting our nation from all foes, potential and real. The Chinese government's behavior toward its domestic critics and in the international arena suggests that it should at least be considered a potential foe.

And this issue exists because Apple, like its competitors, sole sources assembly and production to where prices are cheapest. That leaves them at the mercy of some rather nasty governments and with nothing to bargain with but their money. Not smart.

#3 User is offline   3z4h 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostInkling, on 18 February 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Does it make sense to adopt as a vital component in our military a product assembled in a country that's ruled by a government whose murderous past, repressive present and troublesome relations with its weaker neighbors ...

iPads are not assembled in USA, oh wait.

#4 User is offline   bookworm858 

• Pip

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:10 AM

Thin-client computing isn't the way of the future: it's now. As far as Red China is concerned, I don't like it either, but times have changed. Plus, if the Chinese somehow managed to get across the Pacific Ocean with what passes for their navy, and attacked us, they would literally destroy their own market for all of the neat stuff that we consume here, not to mention the almost 1/3 of our national debt that they are holding paper on. I don't even think they are Communist anymore: It's more like "The Mao Dynasty". It's all about control, but historically, China's hegemony did not extend logistically to far beyond its immediate sphere of influence. They did read Sun Tzu, after all.

#5 User is offline   LeTap 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

a country that's ruled by a government whose murderous past, repressive present and troublesome relations with its weaker neighbors

For a minute there I thought you were talking about the good old US of A (and I'm sure most of the Latin-American neighbors would also feel the same way) and some not-so-near neighbors in the Middle East

#6 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hooboy. Off topic vs. way way way off topic. I need some popcorn.

BB

#7 User is offline   stonefingers 

• PipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

Does it make sense to adopt a [...] militara product assembled in a country

Can you name any tablet or smart phone that is solely and completely manufactured and assembled in the USA? I wish I could...
if it is to be, it is up to me...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users