Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 Mac computers, 5 major hardware failures

#1 User is online   rgustafson 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

I'm not meaning to start a tirade here, but I'm just curious to know if I have incredible bad luck, or if we as Apple owners, put up with what I feel is an unusually high level of hardware failures.

About six years ago I bought the first pair of Macs for our home office -- two iMacs. Since then I have purchased another iMac, and have bought two Macbook Pros. Each of these computers have had major hardware failures -- one of the iMacs had three different failures until it was replaced with yet another iMac that failed one month past the expiration of its AppleCare warranty.

This morning the legacy lives on. My Macbook Pro, only eight months old, seems to have a video card failure. It looks like it's attributable to Nvidia having an issue with their quality control. Once again I will be spending hours on the phone and replacing a computer in the midst of a very busy work week.

I love Apple's operating system and when the computer lights up and works, it's a wonderful experience. But I'm certainly disappointed in the track record of their products. I have bought six new computer over six years and every one has needed to be sent back at least once due to a major hardware issue. My computers sit on a desk in a home office , with an occasional trip to the sofa or library for the MBPs. Meanwhile my son, who is never short of criticism for my choice to buy Apple products, totes a couple of overworked PC notebooks in his backpack back and forth to university on public transit without a single problem for over two years.

Statistical samples are a tricky thing, and six does not qualify as a valid sample by any means. Yet I can't help but wonder how many other people are going through the same thing I am. Does Apple charge a premium for their products so they can cover the enormous cost of these failures? Or am I just the most unlucky Mac owner on the planet?

P.S. Six iPods, an iPhone, an iPad and an Apple TV have worked great!

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

View Postrgustafson, on 21 February 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

I'm not meaning to start a tirade here, but I'm just curious to know if I have incredible bad luck, or if we as Apple owners, put up with what I feel is an unusually high level of hardware failures.

Just from your subject line, and between those two choices, I'm going to go with "incredible bad luck." I've been buying Macs, on my own behalf and for others, for well over 20 years. It's a lot of machines. In that span, I've had an original HD and an original DIMM fail under warranty and a video board fail well out of warranty.

Now, that said, I don't know that I'm willing to just chalk it up completely to "bad luck." Clearly something's going wrong and while it's possible that you're somehow routinely getting marginal machines the odds are IMO much better that there's something environmental at work. Some kind of local condition that's killing components.

#3 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

I started using Apple before they were Macs.
I must have incredible good luck.
out of the 8 that are technically "Macs", I have experienced a zero failure rate.
out of the 8, 3 are still used, the oldest being a 12" powerbook.

you DO use a real UPS and not some cruddy little power strip eh?

#4 User is offline   HailCaesar 

• PipPip

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

It sounds like bad luck, Apple typically has awesome build quality.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users