• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

vitrual windows on mac how to

#1 User is offline   SteveHume 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hi to all,
first of all i would like to say that this has a lot of good contant on here.
Now, my quastion is, sometime this week i hope to become a mac user, waitng for my imac to turnup.

I use a programe for business called quickbooks pro,(windows) it is not aviliable for the mac and have been looking how to get around this,
and as i like the programe and having just bought my mac i am a bit short of money.
After speaking to quickbooks they suggest that i use an emulator, i have been readinbg on here like parrels and so on,

Can someone please explain how it works, am i right in thinking that i just install the programe/app and then just start it like another programe and install windows into it?
hope someone can help

thank you in advance
steve

#2 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi

With a Mac, there are a couple ways to approach the need to run windows.

you can emulate as you asked about or you can use Bootcamp and have your Mac boot into Windows and for all practical purposes, be a Windows machine ( like any PC)

to emulate...
you need to purchase an application such as Parallels or VMware

you will hear some say one is better than the other... but reality is they are so close, either would be fine.
I use VMware and have for some time now, so I won't be buying Parallels.

you will also need to buy a copy of Windows, preferably 7 as it's current. Vista or XP would work also.

you install your virtualware like any application.. then launch it and set a partition for Windows.
then it will tell you to install your Windows.

once you follow the simple instructions and have your virtual windows up and running, you can install your windows application you need.

then, you simply launch your VMware/Parallels and you get a Windows window. in that window, you run your needed program.
just remember, in the virtual, when you run Windows.. it's like any other windows, you will need antivirus like any other PC.

The bootcamp route requires rebooting whenever you wish to run windows.. the other does not.
just do not try to game in a virtual environment. it's not pretty.

and running virtual requires as much RAM as you can get your hands on.. so have at least 4Gigs.. more is definitely better.

#3 User is offline   SteveHume 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hi , Many thanks for the reply,
you say i need to partition, whats happens if i uninstall the vmwear programe will this restore my hard drive back to he full capcity for mac os, also once i have done my work in windows i close down the windows and is all speed back to the mac,

sorry if thisounds silly.
thanks again
s

#4 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

if you to lose the vmware as well as the partitions...
run the uninstaller as well as delete the "Virtual Machines" subdirectory of your "Documents" directory.

and yes, once you are thru with windows and close up the app....
you are back to your Mac like it was.
although i will say that if you run mac applications while running virtual, they don't take as big of a speed hit as the virtual windows does.

#5 User is offline   SteveHume 

• Pip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

thanks again for your help, looking forward to becoming a mac man.

#6 User is offline   Lexxie 

• PipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

View Postmacnuke, on 21 February 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

run the uninstaller as well as delete the "Virtual Machines" subdirectory of your "Documents" directory.

although i will say that if you run mac applications while running virtual, they don't take as big of a speed hit as the virtual windows does.

Neither Parallels nor VMWare creates a "partition". The windows will be just one large file file. You can copy it, back it up, delete it, or keep it for later. When you uninstall the virtualizer you do not loose the Windows Virtual Machine file automatically.

#7 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

View PostLexxie, on 14 March 2012 - 09:01 AM, said:

View Postmacnuke, on 21 February 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Neither Parallels nor VMWare creates a "partition". The windows will be just one large file file. You can copy it, back it up, delete it, or keep it for later. When you uninstall the virtualizer you do not loose the Windows Virtual Machine file automatically.

I do believe this wrong on so many levels.

#8 User is offline   aonali21 

• PipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

I am planning to purchase a new laptop (might be Apple Air Book ;) ). I want to know if there is any way to use Windows and Macintosh on it without logging off one operating system. I know there are some software, called virtual machines which provide this functionality. But I don't know exactly what is the name of that software.

Thanks.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users