• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Post your comments for LaCie 2big Thunderbolt Series 6TB RAID array here

#2 User is offline   cuddapah 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Any audio corruption issues with two thunderbolt displays ?

#3 User is offline   jescott418 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

I just bought a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt port. I just looked around for what storage option use it. This one comes up a lot. But the price scared me away. Its a almost as much as my Macbook Pro. I'll stick with USB a while longer for that price.

#4 User is offline   cseeman 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

View Postjescott418, on 07 March 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

I just bought a Macbook Pro with Thunderbolt port. I just looked around for what storage option use it. This one comes up a lot. But the price scared me away. Its a almost as much as my Macbook Pro. I'll stick with USB a while longer for that price.

I don't think you understand the use of Thunderbolt. If you're looking for "storage" you can certainly stick with USB. If you fast throughput such as those working in professional video or audio or otherwise need to move things fast, that's the market for Thunderbolt. Personally I think the price is VERY GOOD if 6TB is at about $800 given current hard drive prices. As the article notes it's only $100+ more than their multiport storage (probably better suited to your needs). Sorry but you're looking at the wrong product lines if you're thinking of Thunderbolt for pedestrian storage.

#5 User is offline   Cesium133x 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

"Two Thunderbolt ports for daisy chaining devices" is not a 'pro', it's a bare minimum.

#6 User is offline   agno3 

• PipPip

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

its not faster then the esata version?

#7 User is offline   Soulshaker 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:37 AM

View Postjescott418, on 07 March 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Or you just get firewire 800 , twice as fast as usb
With a good 70MB/S tranfer speed is it more then acceptable

#8 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:13 AM

Why 7200-rpm drives and not 10,000-rpms...heat...cost...shortages?

#9 User is offline   2jfa 

• Pip

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

No USB 3.0, way too expensive when I can get two 3TB 7200RPM hard drives for $280, and a dual bay USB3 enclosure for $85. And hard drive prices will get much cheaper by christmas time.

#10 User is offline   uter1985 

• Pip

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

View Postcuddapah, on 07 March 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Any audio corruption issues with two thunderbolt displays ?

This is something I also want to know...
Do you know if this works with MacBook Pro i7 daisy chained with two Thunderbolt Displays...
I heard from some folks that the Promise Pegasus Thunderbolt External Drive will experience audio interruptions when two thunderbolt displays are being daisy chained.

Please help!!!

#11 User is offline   eddiet 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm looking for a fast thunderbolt external drive for video editing. The 2big looks good. I especially like the way you can pop the drives out. I have a workflow question. Is it odd to treat this drive like a shell, loading up pairs of RAID 0 configured disks with video projects, then popping the drives out and storing them together, and putting in new disks for the next project? Or is that foolish? Any pitfalls? Is there a better way? Is it better, for example to just move the stuff off the drives onto a large USB drive, then wiping the disks? Thanks in advance.

#12 User is offline   Pinlight 

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

This looks like a great drive, but I've been using a LaCie Thunderbolt Hub. It's only $199 and can also give you T-bolt ports plus ESATA ports. So then you can use lesser expensive drives, or build your own. The hub is also allowing me to string my MacBookPro to a Thunderbolt monitor, and then to a 4TB Firewire 800 drive, (from out of the back of the monitor) and then to a Sony Bravia 1080P monitor --- all on the same Thunderbolt chain. If you do it this way, everything will work and I still have extra Firewire and USB ports. If you try and run an HD monitor out of a Thunderbolt monitor, it won't work. So, the LaCie hub is valuable in more than one way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users