Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple TV (third generation): What you need to know - Macworld Forums

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple TV (third generation): What you need to know

#57 User is offline   prouser1 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:05 AM

I really like the existing remote. In fact it is one of the best features. All you need is your thumb. No fumbling in the dark looking for a minute button located between other minute buttons. Yes, it is a bit annoying when first typing in passwords etc. but when that is done it is plane sailing. Surfing Netflix could not be easier.

#58 User is offline   smayer97 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostLelandHendrix, on 08 March 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

View PostCantabro, on 07 March 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Another piece of trash that obsessively tries to make you buy more and more movies and entertainment services and continues to dsicriminate on Mac users given that, for example, mirroring whatever you have on your display is possible for iOS devices but not for Mac ones. In addition to two iMacs and a Macbook Pro, I have a Macbook air mid 2011 and, yet, I remained barred from taking advantage of AirPlay, just because Apple doesn't want to, for it is perfectly possible. Fortunately, there are several non-Apple devices that give you the freedom to do whatever you wish wirelessly. I'm really getting fed up with the great disregard that Apple is exhibiting before the millions of faithfull Mac users who are the foundation that enabled Apple to born again after almost disappearing from the business scene.

What are you on about?

The AppleTV 3rd generation has nothing to do with limiting its inputs! Yes, you can AirPlay mirror screens from your iPhone and iPad...because that's a feature of the INDIVIDUAL DEVICES. I also have a MBP (first unibody, late '08) and an i7 iMac 27", and just got a mid-11 MacBook Air on Monday. But none of those devices ever said they would mirror when I bought them.

But take note--OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion will be released this summer, in just a few more weeks, and IT will have a new feature to mirror the display on your Mac to an APPLE TV, 2nd generation OR this newly announced AppleTV 3RD GENERATION.

So yes, it's coming, but it's a feature that's being added to your MAC software. It has NOTHING to do with what you so blithely call "another piece of trash"

Take note that AirPlay support being added to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion to mirror your Mac's display via AppleTV will require a second generation iCore (i3, i5, i7, etc) Intel chip. It is essentially leveraging a technology developed by Intel called WiDi or Wireless Display. No other hardware will work. An example Mac released with the 2nd generation iCore chip are the 2010 iMacs.

#59 User is offline   seancbrown 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Can you set up Apple Tv to play different content pieces at specific times throughout the day. For example if i had 4 x 10 - 15 minute footage segments and i have some still data pages with graphics can i thread these together to make a single loop that is played at intervals i require. This is for a business and would require the screen to be active throughout the day. I guess what I am asking is - can Apple TV act as a fully functional content management system.

#60 User is offline   Micbop 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Can i use the Apple TV just with my 23" Apple HD Monitor from 2006/7?

#61 User is offline   Micbop 

• Pip

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Can I just use my Apple HD 23" monitor 2006/7 on its own without going through a mac mini or a power mac Apple TV?r

#62 User is offline   rjmasotta 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Question. I am looking to buy the Apple TV G3. I'm trying to solve an issue. I have a 1080p CEILING mounted projector (providing video only, no audio) which is currently wired with component video cables coming from a high-end receiver. The sound is produced from optical out of the reeiver to speakers. Current video inputs are from cable box and DVD. I have an iPad 2 and want to stream video from it( Hulu, Crackel, HBO) to the projector. I don't want to remove the 35' of component cables and replace with HDMI) What I'm thinking is to use the HDMI output from the Apple TV into a HDMI to Component converter device, then take the component output produced and push it through the component video cables which run up, into, and over the ceiling to the projector. I would also use the optical output from the Apple TV to the second optical port on the receiver for sound.

#63 User is offline   rjmasotta 

• Pip

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Forgot to ask!! Will this method work???

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users