#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Post your comments for What LTE means for Apple's new iPad here

#2 User is offline   PetitPaul 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

We just heard that here in Belgium the new iPad wont be able to work in 4G as in Belgium 4G uses the 1800Mhz and 2600 Mhz frequencies, while the iPad uses the 700Mhz and 2100hz. I understand France has the same issues. I don't know about the UK.

#3 User is offline   buzglyd 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Interesting that we still have to "choose" an iPad. I wonder if that is partially enforced by the carriers?

I've got a 4S phone with ATT and a 1st gen pad with ATT.

I travel for business (thankfully not to NYC or San Fran) and have excellent coverage at my home in San Diego.

I think I would still choose an ATT Pad if only because ATT's 3G (now apparently called 4G) is much faster than Verizon's CDMA network.

If you're in an LTE city I suppose they are pretty close.

#4 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

What it meant to me when I bought mine yesterday was, "4G? Just a faster way to hit the limit. Forget it."
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#5 User is offline   jhavek5l4 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

Too bad many of the European countries won't be able to take advantage of the LTE capability, as the European flavors (frequencies) are not the same. Or will there be country specific iPads for the rest of the World...?

#6 User is offline   GregKoster 

• Pip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

"Please. Call me Mr. Fleishman."

I stopped calling you Shirley. What more do you want?

#7 User is offline   Glenn_Fleishman 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

View PostPetitPaul, on 08 March 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

We just heard that here in Belgium the new iPad wont be able to work in 4G as in Belgium 4G uses the 1800Mhz and 2600 Mhz frequencies, while the iPad uses the 700Mhz and 2100hz. I understand France has the same issues. I don't know about the UK.

I suspect Apple is still working through the morass of different LTE implementations. I didn't mention all this in the main article, but there are two different encoding (TDD and FDD) for putting data on the signal; there are dozens of potential frequencies that have been assigned in various countries around the world; there are multiple MIMO configurations; there are many channel widths (I mentioned that); and there are multiple authentication schemes.

So the odds of two countries' carriers (or sometimes two carriers in the same country) having fully interoperable LTE from the bottom radio stuff up to the top authentication part is very low.

It could take months or longer for Apple to release iPads for every regulatory domain and carrier!

#8 User is offline   Glenn_Fleishman 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

View Postbuzglyd, on 08 March 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Interesting that we still have to "choose" an iPad. I wonder if that is partially enforced by the carriers?...
I think I would still choose an ATT Pad if only because ATT's 3G (now apparently called 4G) is much faster than Verizon's CDMA network.

It's an interesting issue. There are technical differences, so this isn't arbitrary. Apple would prefer to make a single model, just as they did for the iPhone 4S. But you still have the issue of network authentication. The iPhone 4S must be purchased for a GSM or CDMA carrier, after which you cannot switch between domestic market carriers. A GSM phone can't later go CDMA. A CDMA phone is locked to use GSM only outside the home country (at least in the U.S.; internationally, I'm unclear on that, as regulators often don't allow that sort of home-country locking).

On the 3G front, AT&T has every motivation to continue to improve its 3G network for the same reason that it's deploying: spectral efficiency. More bits over the same frequency costs less even after capital improvements and ongoing costs. So we'll see 21 Mbps and 42 Mbps 3G all over the place, and the "4G" iPad will work just fine with those, too.

#9 User is offline   Glenn_Fleishman 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

View Postjhavek5l4, on 08 March 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Too bad many of the European countries won't be able to take advantage of the LTE capability, as the European flavors (frequencies) are not the same. Or will there be country specific iPads for the rest of the World...?

They will. Apple's going to either have to release more country-specific 4G models, or with their continuing engineering, release minor updates to the 3rd-generation iPad that have support for a greater array of frequencies, encodings, and authentications. It'll take months.

#10 User is offline   bonesb 

• PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

How's the LTE coverage in Sicily AK? OK, Roslyn WA? You are near there at least part time. I'd never watched Northern Exposure when it was on but I'm watching it now courtesy of Netflix - my point is I won't call you Fleishman until I'm done watching the series. I just can't do it yet.

#11 User is offline   Glenn_Fleishman 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

View Postbonesb, on 08 March 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

How's the LTE coverage in Sicily AK? OK, Roslyn WA? You are near there at least part time. I'd never watched Northern Exposure when it was on but I'm watching it now courtesy of Netflix - my point is I won't call you Fleishman until I'm done watching the series. I just can't do it yet.

They call me _MISTER_ Tibbs.

#12 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

View Postbuzglyd, on 08 March 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Interesting that we still have to "choose" an iPad. I wonder if that is partially enforced by the carriers?

I've got a 4S phone with ATT and a 1st gen pad with ATT.

I travel for business (thankfully not to NYC or San Fran) and have excellent coverage at my home in San Diego.

If you're in an LTE city I suppose they are pretty close.

I have a Samsung LTE phone, and when in an LTE zone, I did routinely clock 30+ Mbs on Speedtest.
Interoperability of networks remains a disaster. Congress should have gotten involved very long ago.

This post has been edited by klahanas: 08 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#13 User is offline   tbutler67 

• PipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

View Postleicaman, on 08 March 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

What it meant to me when I bought mine yesterday was, "4G? Just a faster way to hit the limit. Forget it."

Only if the speed changes your usage habits.

If you use it for web browsing, you might get some additional usage from doing more browsing in the same amount of time, but I don't think that'd be a very significant uptick; it wouldn't make me read any faster, so mostly it'd just mean less waiting.

If you use it for streaming audio from service like Pandora, and that service streams at a fixed quality level, data usage won't change at all; streaming at, say, FM-radio quality means delivering the same amount of data per unit time; there's no difference between 3G and 4G there, if you listen to it <x> hours you'll consume <y> amount of data.

If you use it for streaming media from a source that adjusts the quality based on the speed of the connection, then you'd be using more data with 4G. It would still be a change in usage habits, because you're viewing a higher-quality stream instead of a lower, but it'd be one driven automatically by the software.

If you take advantage of the speed to stream media that you didn't stream before, then yeah, you'd definitely hit the cap faster - but that's unequivocally a change in usage habits that you have control over.

Me, I don't have any plans to stream lots of media over cellular on 3G or 4G; so all it'd mean for me is doing the same kind of heavily text-based/low-data usage (web browsing, email, weather maps, PDF document synching, news apps, etc.) with less lag and a more pleasant experience.

This post has been edited by tbutler67: 08 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

#14 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Let's face it gang, Apple added LTE to keep its lead in the enterprise where these speed advances are considered specs that mean something to big business. I believe this will be a big plus in getting a stronger business foothold before the next wave of whiz-bang competitors come out.
Just as the new HD capabilities/Retina Display are something a consumer might want it is an *absolute necessity* when iPad is used by the medical community in the area of diagnostic imaging (EKG, EEG, MRI, X-Ray, etc). Apple just made themselves *needed* by millions of healthcare agencies and providers as these improvements, or lack thereof, will be part of defensive medicine in the court-room. Plaintiff's atty., "And as you were viewing my client's X-Ray of their tibia what was the resolution of the device you used? Defendant, "I was using a 9 month old iPad 2 with ___ dpi." Atty., "So you are saying that is why you couldn't see the micro-fracture that resulted in a blot to the brain leaving my client a quadriplegic? Sorry for the factual license used here but you get the point.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users