Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Weekly Wrap: New iPad and Apple TV, new iOS apps, and a whole lot more - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weekly Wrap: New iPad and Apple TV, new iOS apps, and a whole lot more

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Post your comments for Weekly Wrap: New iPad and Apple TV, new iOS apps, and a whole lot more here

#2 User is offline   ChrisLJ 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

So, if Apple is going to refer to them simply as "iPad", does that mean we will be back to using the "generation" monikers as we did with the iPods? I always found that rather annoying.

#3 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:05 AM

View PostChrisLJ, on 10 March 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

So, if Apple is going to refer to them simply as "iPad", does that mean we will be back to using the "generation" monikers as we did with the iPods? I always found that rather annoying.

I find "tech" journalists guessing the names incorrectly to be more annoying. Here's what they called them vs. the actual name: iPhone 4G (iPhone 4), iPhone 5 (iPhone 4S), iPhone 5 (NEXT iPhone)... iPad 3/iPad HD (iPad). Though, the iPad 3 guess wasn't bad. Apple nipped that one in the bud before it got to the suggestions like "iPhone 5" - that never came and never will. These "tech" journalists just can't seem to grasp simple numbering/naming systems.

The NEXT iPhone will most likely just be called "iPhone" or "iPhone 4G," but the latter appears to be a stretch now, given the new iPad's naming shift. The next generation iPhone will be the 6th. There's no logic behind calling it iPhone 5. To argue that 5 comes after 4 has no logic. The iPhone 4 was the 4th generation, so the name works. Coincidently, the 4th generation followed the 3G/3GS naming (notice neither were called "iPhone 3"). The 3G (2nd iPhone) was named as such given the new 3G network ability, and the 3GS (3rd iPhone) was essentially the same phone with speed/camera improvements (think iPhone 4/4S). Dropping the G from 3GS to name it the iPhone 3 would've caused confusion ("Did the iPhone lose 3G already?").

It's called logic. More people should try using it sometime.

#4 User is offline   EricKrauss 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

"In keeping with tradition, the AT&T iPad--like the AT&T iPhone--also can't place calls."

Oh, really? My AT&T iPhone can place calls just fine. In fact, it would be pretty much useless as a phone without this feature.

#5 User is offline   Terryhatch 

• PipPip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

View PostEricKrauss, on 11 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

"In keeping with tradition, the AT&T iPad--like the AT&T iPhone--also can't place calls."

Oh, really? My AT&T iPhone can place calls just fine. In fact, it would be pretty much useless as a phone without this feature.

I think Friedman was trying to be sarcastic.

#6 User is offline   anderkh 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

View PostTerryhatch, on 11 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

View PostEricKrauss, on 11 March 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

I think Friedman was trying to be sarcastic.

Probably, but the AT&T iPhone can't make calls schtick is getting kinda old. If it were THAT bad, they wouldn't still be selling more iPhones than anyone else.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users