Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple's Retina-ready Web update reveals the pixels behind the magic - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple's Retina-ready Web update reveals the pixels behind the magic

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

  • Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot
  • Posts: 34,402
  • Joined: 30-November 07

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Post your comments for Apple's Retina-ready Web update reveals the pixels behind the magic here
0

#2 User is offline   ConnorMeeblings 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: 15-September 11

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:59 AM

To me, this is just as silly as the whole hype over 4G when it first came out. I love apple and I appreciate their sense of detail but this just doesn't seem that important.
0

#3 User is offline   bcode 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 28-March 07

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

View PostConnorMeeblings, on 13 March 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

To me, this is just as silly as the whole hype over 4G when it first came out. I love apple and I appreciate their sense of detail but this just doesn't seem that important.


Agreed, though I don't foresee the whole web adding Retina-ready images to their websites... so I just see it as Apple ensuring your first web experience on an iPad 3 is as good as it can be.

As for why they didn't go to this length for the iPhone 4... It's all about screen-size.
0

#4 User is offline   monospaced 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 25-June 04

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think the term "pixel doubling" is very misleading. The fact of the matter is that it's pixel quadrupling.
0

#5 User is offline   LexFriedman 

  • Member
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 12-February 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

View Postmonospaced, on 13 March 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

I think the term "pixel doubling" is very misleading. The fact of the matter is that it's pixel quadrupling.


In fact, I agree. I don't believe I used the term pixel doubling for that very reason!

"Apple substitutes a version of the image that doubles its width and height"
"The original image is shown at the left; the one on the right shows a section of the doubly large Retina version."
"The doubling of the image empowers the Retina display to work its visual magic"

I'll concede that the last one there may be slightly misleading, but I won't cop to "very misleading" yet.

If I have a one inch square cube, and you have a two inch square cube, I'd say that yours is twice as big as mine—it's mine, doubled.

The images Apple uses for Retina screens are doubled in terms of pixel width and height. The pixel counts are thus quadrupled. I tried to avoid getting into that nuance in the story above, but I think I did so without getting misleading.

#6 User is offline   monospaced 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 25-June 04

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostLexFriedman, on 13 March 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

If I have a one inch square cube, and you have a two inch square cube, I'd say that yours is twice as big as mine—it's mine, doubled.

The images Apple uses for Retina screens are doubled in terms of pixel width and height. The pixel counts are thus quadrupled. I tried to avoid getting into that nuance in the story above, but I think I did so without getting misleading.


If I have a 1-inch square, and you have a 2-inch square, yours is four times bigger, not twice as big. Each pixel on the Retina displays (iPad and iPhone) are 1/4 the size of the lower resolution predecessors. Pixel quadrupling, and quadruple pixel-density is correct.
0

#7 User is offline   macmacmacmac 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 74
  • Joined: 08-June 11

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

Won't there be a worse picture viewing 1080 content on a higher resolution screen like the new ipad?
Instead of viewing 1080 content on a 1080 screen?
When I watch standard def content on my hdtv it looks pretty bad.

comments?
0

#8 User is offline   dudemac 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 18-February 05

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Why are we not getting an SVG version of the web page then? Scaling bitmaps seems a little silly to me.
0

#9 User is offline   dudemac 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 49
  • Joined: 18-February 05

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

View Postdudemac, on 13 March 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

Why are we not getting an SVG version of the web page then? Scaling bitmaps seems a little silly to me.


At least for all the graphics. Photos are not easily converted, but text, and graphics should be converted no problem and SVG is a web standard.
0

#10 User is offline   monospaced 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 25-June 04

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

View Postmacmacmacmac, on 13 March 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

Won't there be a worse picture viewing 1080 content on a higher resolution screen like the new ipad?


Even if it's scaled up 4x, the worst it'll look is how it appears on the previous iPads, which is great.
0

#11 User is offline   ScottHines3ku0 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 18-July 11

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

guys, guys, put away your rulers, 2 inches is enough
0

#12 User is offline   flybynight 

  • Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,347
  • Joined: 21-July 06

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

View Postmonospaced, on 13 March 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

View PostLexFriedman, on 13 March 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

If I have a one inch square cube, and you have a two inch square cube, I'd say that yours is twice as big as mine—it's mine, doubled.

The images Apple uses for Retina screens are doubled in terms of pixel width and height. The pixel counts are thus quadrupled. I tried to avoid getting into that nuance in the story above, but I think I did so without getting misleading.


If I have a 1-inch square, and you have a 2-inch square, yours is four times bigger, not twice as big. Each pixel on the Retina displays (iPad and iPhone) are 1/4 the size of the lower resolution predecessors. Pixel quadrupling, and quadruple pixel-density is correct.

Actually, if you are comparing a 1" and 2" SQUARE, then the 2" one is quadrupled. However, if you are talking about a 1" vs. a 2" CUBE... then it is actually octupled. A cube measuring 2x2x2 = 8 cubic inches, vs. 1 cubic inch. Of course, this has no bearing on the display of the new iPad, as it has only 2 dimensions, not 3. It would only effect the semantics of your arguments above. :P

Start the rumors for the iPad cube!

This post has been edited by flybynight: 13 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

0

#13 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 149
  • Joined: 12-April 11

  Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

The lack of an SD slot on the new iPad seems silly in light of ever inflating data
0

#14 User is offline   veggiedude 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 962
  • Joined: 30-August 04

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

View PostKrasniOktabr, on 13 March 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

The lack of an SD slot on the new iPad seems silly in light of ever inflating data


Really? There are so many cloud options.
0

Share this topic:


  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users