• You cannot reply to this topic

Familiar Apple TV adds 1080p video support

#29 User is offline   RexShrek 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:45 AM

Hello,
Thanks for this first feedback.
Did you notice any improvement on Airplay mirroring for Games, like Asphalt6 or MetalStorm:Wingman ?
With Apple TV 2 (2010), I experience lags, despite having the Apple TV connected in Ethernet to my WiFi N Router that is close to the TV (and the iPad2 - so max WiFi bandwidth). I was wondering if this was relative to the processor of the Apple TV 2 that is less powerfull than the one of the iPad 2.
So any noticeable improvements ?

#30 User is offline   Alphaman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Ok, so my TV only does 1080i. I couldn't buy an ATV2 as it only did 720p for HD (and I wasn't thrilled at viewing content at only 480p).

My questions:

Will the new ATV output to a 1080i set?
Will it upscale 720p content to 1080i?
Will it interlace 1080p content to display on my 1080i set?

If the answers are mostly yes (1st question is mandatory), then I'm sold!

#31 User is offline   mark1965 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

Jason,
Maybe you could help us out with some Handbrake settings suggestions for the new apple TV

#32 User is offline   JakeT 

• PipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

View Postclassicmacs01, on 15 March 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

View PostFixx, on 15 March 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

View PostDocNo, on 15 March 2012 - 01:15 AM, said:

View Postmattwie, on 14 March 2012 - 07:05 PM, said:

The massive white elephant in the room of course, is that it can't play content via USB.

Because for most people it's easier to stream it from the cloud or their computer.

For that reason alone, many millions of people won't purchase it.

Millions? Hardly! Don't flatter yourself...

Yes, millions. Cloud services are still so clunky that many of us keep media in USB-hdd. As keeping it in MBP or iMac, they do not fit there, so storage at external hdd is the way to go.
Also, MBP/iMac may be tied to work processes and not available for playback.

At some point cloud storage is the way to go but we are not there yet.

Apparently you don't own an AppleTV and you have never used Apple's iCloud (or Netflix or Hulu or Amazon), which is now updated to support movies. How can you claim media files don't fit on your MBP or iMac, but they somehow fit on your USB thumb drive? You make no sense. Movies and TV shows play flawlessly from the Cloud through AppleTV. They also play flawlessly from a Mac, even if the Mac is doing something else. The Mac isn't playing the content for the AppleTV, it is only sending the data so the AppleTV can play it. The AppleTV has 8GB of flash storage so the content is downloaded from the Mac and stored on the flash memory, so the Mac isn't streaming the data for the entire length of the movie. The others in this forum saw right through you. Sounds like you prefer USB drives because of the methods you used to obtain your media files.

Perhaps, I can explain it to you. If the movies are stored in the cloud, they have to be redownloaded every single time they are played. That's a waste of bandwidth. That can be expensive. Look at how much Verizon and AT&T charge for 4G. If they are stored on a Mac, then the Mac has to be turned on and iTunes has to be running. If, on the other hand, the movies are stored on an external disk, that can be plugged into the AppleTV device, then you don't need anything else. The original AppleTV had an internal hard drive that could store a few movies. The second and third AppleTVs are a downgrade from the original.

#33 User is offline   Sportymonk 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:36 AM

Will Apple TV work on an older CRT TV with RCA jacks? As my TV watching is getting less and less, I really don't see the need to upgrade TVs, the old ones work fine but I would like to download a movie on my iMac and watch it on the tv.

#34 User is offline   daustins 

• Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

I find that all 1080p videos take a very long time to start to stream, and I'm using WiFi to a nearby computer. Some 1080p video's just won't stream at all.

But nothing happens for over a minute, until nearly all is downloaded. And oddly enough I can try to do it on up to three 1080p movies, and I can go back and forth rapidly because I assume all are partially buffered in the Apple TV.

Still, it takes over a minute to even start, and starting with every other format is instantaneous.

#35 User is offline   mobilecasedirect 

• Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:42 AM

I didn't have the previous version so this will be interesting when it's delivered in a few days. One of the reasons I liked it when I went to my friend's house was streaming it from any of our Apple devices which was cool.

The only issue I can see is will you now have to pay for some space on iCloud? I find that I have already exceed their "free" space just syncing my iPhone 4S.

I guess Apple will receive multiple revenue streams from Apple TV, iPad, iPhone & iCloud synergy?

#36 User is offline   jmooresh 

• Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

So now I will finally buy that 1080p tv I've been dreaming of having, a little larger, better connected, etc...

I'll move my Apple tv and older 720p tv to the guest room.

Apple timed this one perfectly for me.

#37 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

How nice it would be to slide a blue-ray disk into a built in player, like the original Mac-mini did with DVDs instead of third party hardware and software.

#38 User is offline   BobForsberg 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

The $99 Brite-view mini has been streaming 1080p for almost the last 2 years in my home, .mkv files too.

#39 User is online   alirob 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:34 AM

Will the new Apple TV show closed captions?

#40 User is offline   dctek 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Isn't there another difference with the latest Apple TV? I was told at Best Buy with the new iPad you are able to display its interface/desktop on your tv screen.

#41 User is offline   shaunturner 

• Pip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:35 PM

I don't understand why the new Apple TV doesn't allow an output refresh rate of 24fps.

The content sold on iTunes is 1080p/24 and Blu-ray players and modern HD televisions use this standard, so I don't understand why the Apple TV 3 only outputs at 25 or 30fps. In either of those refresh rates, there's a noticeable jerking every second or so when playing 24fps content. It's really annoying.

Even better, the Apple TV should automatically switch the refresh rate being output to match the content that’s playing. I have content at 24, 25 and 30fps and outputting at the same refresh rate would eliminate the jerking.

Other than that, I love my Apple TVs.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users