• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:31 AM

Post your comments for Western Digital My Passport Studio 1TB here

#2 User is offline   pessex 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if you can get rid of the Unlocker software by partitioning the drive. I wouldn't want it on any drive I use, but I would like to know if it's in ROM and can't be bypassed. That would affect my decision to purchase this drive vs another similar one.

#3 User is offline   Gordito1973 

• Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postpessex, on 16 March 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if you can get rid of the Unlocker software by partitioning the drive. I wouldn't want it on any drive I use, but I would like to know if it's in ROM and can't be bypassed. That would affect my decision to purchase this drive vs another similar one.

I have this very same drive and indeed it works great. I immediately reformatted it and thus got rid of all WD stuff. I use the Vault encryption coming with Lion and it works great. So the short answer to your question is, yes, you can get rid of the WD stuff.

#4 User is offline   mponzi 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

I bought this to use as a portable scratch drive for video and photo editing with a MacBook Pro. I chose it because it's a bus-powered Firewire 800 drive (no power adapter required). It works great for me, and I've never had a problem with slow transfer speeds editing HD video with Final Cut Pro. Although I'm sure there are faster ones out there. I formatted / partitioned the drive right away, and there is no WD security software on it now. No password required.

#5 User is offline   mac_savant 

• PipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:30 PM

Question I have for the reviewer:

You state that it either asks you for a password when it's connected or you can use the utility to remove the password. Did you run the tests using the password with the security in place or did you remove the password?

If you used it with the password in place, then it was most likely encrypting the data, which would explain the slow transfer speed. If you disabled the password, then yes, the drive itself performed poorly.

Please explain your testing methodology as it can affect the outcome greatly.

#6 User is offline   gamera87 

• Pip

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

"The drive faired" !

#7 User is offline   rafolabi 

• Pip

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

I use the drive as a shared drive on Linux Virtual Machines. Issue i have is i cant change ownership of folders on the drive. Anyone have any suggestions please?
Thanks,

-Richard

#8 User is offline   nerodavalos 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi, I got a PowerBook G4 (12").
does anybody know if it is possible to use "Western Digital My Passport Studio 1tb"that is Firewire 800 with my Mac tha has a Firewire 400 port? If it's possible what kind of cable or adaptor do I need ?
thank you very much

#9 User is offline   nerodavalos 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hi, I got a PowerBook G4 (12"). does anybody know if it is possible to use "Western Digital My Passport Studio 1tb"that is Firewire 800 with my Mac tha has a Firewire 400 port? If it's possible what kind of cable or adaptor do I need ? thank you very much

...what about speed, will it be firewire 400 or less?

#10 User is offline   imti 

• Pip

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Gordito1973 said:

pessex said
Out of curiosity, I'd like to know if you can get rid of the Unlocker software by partitioning the drive. I wouldn't want it on any drive I use, but I would like to know if it's in ROM and can't be bypassed. That would affect my decision to purchase this drive vs another similar one. I have this very same drive and indeed it works great. I immediately reformatted it and thus got rid of all WD stuff. I use the Vault encryption coming with Lion and it works great. So the short answer to your question is, yes, you can get rid of the WD stuff.

Hi

Can you please explain how you reformatted using Vault encryption.

TIA

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users