Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: MS Word can't be opened. -1712 - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MS Word can't be opened. -1712 How do I fix this?

#1 User is offline   cathmint 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

I have MS Office 2008, and until today, used it nearly every day. Now, suddenly, I cannot open it, or read/create any files, even though I can see the documents in my folders, and the light under the Icon is lit on the dock. When I open my Applications Folder, Word is shown as in there, but when I clicked on it, I saw the following pop up (error message?): The application Microsoft Word can't be opened - 1712. I have no idea how this happened, but I'm hoping that someone can tell me what to do about it. Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, running 10.7.3.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

View Postcathmint, on 17 March 2012 - 09:52 AM, said:

I have MS Office 2008, and until today, used it nearly every day. Now, suddenly, I cannot open it, or read/create any files, even though I can see the documents in my folders, and the light under the Icon is lit on the dock. When I open my Applications Folder, Word is shown as in there, but when I clicked on it, I saw the following pop up (error message?): The application Microsoft Word can't be opened - 1712. I have no idea how this happened, but I'm hoping that someone can tell me what to do about it. Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm using a MacBook Pro, running 10.7.3.

Seems this is a known, albeit rare, issue with Microsoft apps. Open Activity Monitor or the force quit window and see if it appears to already be running. If it is, force quit it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users