Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Use OS X linen pattern for desktop background - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Use OS X linen pattern for desktop background

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Post your comments for Use OS X linen pattern for desktop background here

#2 User is offline   daddyprimetime 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

At last! I can finally get shot of this horrible background every time I log in. Just tried reversing the procedure and wood effect doesn't work on Lion's login screen - has to be a dark background really due to the log-in icons.

Nice one, Kirk.

#3 User is offline   MeGhostwriter 

• Pip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

View Postdaddyprimetime, on 19 March 2012 - 06:31 AM, said:

At last! I can finally get shot of this horrible background every time I log in. Just tried reversing the procedure and wood effect doesn't work on Lion's login screen - has to be a dark background really due to the log-in icons.

Nice one, Kirk.

Isn't there a way to do that with the linen background in mission control? That one I see far more often.

By the way, this one works kinda alright as wooden background:

#4 User is offline   Roedael 

• PipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:57 AM

At last! I can finally get s, I'd be happy to ,hot of this horrible background every time I log in. Just tried reversing the procedure and wood effect doesn't work on Lion's login screen - has to be a dark background really due to the log-in icons.

Nice one, Kirk.

Yes, thank you Kirk. Indeed handy to be able to see the back of that lousy rag background. Oh, I know, I know, 'De gustibus non est disputandem', but even so, that fake woven pattern was decidedly not in keeping with the Mac design esthetic, it looks more like worn and dirty sack cloth than fine linen. Now if it really did resemble quality woven flax, I'd be happy with that; here's hoping for better in Mountain Lion, and in iCloud.

And while we are on the subject, please Sir Jonny, have that fowl colored fake leather look in Address Book and iCal, likewise the ridiculous torn page effect, returned to the simple elegant OS interface scheme.

#5 User is offline   thinkman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

View PostRoedael, on 19 March 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

At last! I can finally get s, I'd be happy to ,hot of this horrible background every time I log in. Just tried reversing the procedure and wood effect doesn't work on Lion's login screen - has to be a dark background really due to the log-in icons.

Nice one, Kirk.

Yes, thank you Kirk. Indeed handy to be able to see the back of that lousy rag background. Oh, I know, I know, 'De gustibus non est disputandem', but even so, that fake woven pattern was decidedly not in keeping with the Mac design esthetic, it looks more like worn and dirty sack cloth than fine linen. Now if it really did resemble quality woven flax, I'd be happy with that; here's hoping for better in Mountain Lion, and in iCloud.

And while we are on the subject, please Sir Jonny, have that fowl colored fake leather look in Address Book and iCal, likewise the ridiculous torn page effect, returned to the simple elegant OS interface scheme.

I don't think Sir Jonny has anything to do with interface design - strictly hardware. It took me a while, but I've gotten used to the faux leather look. I like the interface of Adobe's Lightroom most - for everything!

This post has been edited by thinkman: 19 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

#6 User is offline   bjmac 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

Thanks for this tip. Unfortunately, when I follow the instructions the desktop pattern turns out blurry - like the resolution of the PNG file isn't larger enough to fill my MacBook Pro's screen. It's possible this is happening because I am unable to find the menu item "Tile" in what you describe as "the image well". I must be missing something.

Any suggestions?

#7 User is offline   harrylr 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 AM

I have the same issue - I cannot find the "Tile" option anywhere on the Desktop & Screen Saver preference pane.

What am I missing?

Harry

#8 User is offline   nately 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

View Postbjmac, on 20 March 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Thanks for this tip. Unfortunately, when I follow the instructions the desktop pattern turns out blurry - like the resolution of the PNG file isn't larger enough to fill my MacBook Pro's screen. It's possible this is happening because I am unable to find the menu item "Tile" in what you describe as "the image well". I must be missing something.

Any suggestions?

Yes. You're probably not following the instructions correctly. If you're a neat freak like me, I didn't want the file in my 'Pictures' folder so I put it in Library->Desktop Pictures. Well, System Preferences only allows full screen for images in Desktop Pictures, since they are supposed to be full size.
You have to put the image in the Pictures folder. (No worries, though, you can organize it into a subfolder and add that using the '+' button at the bottom of the list in the Desktop & Screen Saver pane.
Once you select an image that isn't full resolution for your screen, a pop-up menu will show up above the image thumbnails allowing you to Tile, Stretch, Fill, Center, or Fit the image to your screen.
http://dl.dropbox.co...topPrefPane.png

#9 User is offline   eduwiko 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

I know a easiest way: just tile this image on your mac http://goo.gl/jYooQ (pon esta imagen en mosaico en tu mac)

#10 User is offline   harrylr 

• Pip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

You are correct sir, I wanted the pattern in the "Patterns" folder, which seemed to make sense at the time, so I was not following the instructions exactly.

Moving the ".png" to the Pictures folder worked out fine, thank you.

Harry

View Postnately, on 20 March 2012 - 07:43 AM, said:

View Postbjmac, on 20 March 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

Any suggestions?

Yes. You're probably not following the instructions correctly. If you're a neat freak like me, I didn't want the file in my 'Pictures' folder so I put it in Library->Desktop Pictures. Well, System Preferences only allows full screen for images in Desktop Pictures, since they are supposed to be full size.
You have to put the image in the Pictures folder. (No worries, though, you can organize it into a subfolder and add that using the '+' button at the bottom of the list in the Desktop & Screen Saver pane.
Once you select an image that isn't full resolution for your screen, a pop-up menu will show up above the image thumbnails allowing you to Tile, Stretch, Fill, Center, or Fit the image to your screen.
http://dl.dropbox.co...topPrefPane.png

#11 User is offline   Edac2 

• PipPip

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Good find, but the linen texture that OS X uses is not a tile but a single, large image. Notice that it is not evenly lit or textured; there is a highlight in the middle of the screen, sort of like a worn knee on a pair of jeans. A while back someone found (or perhaps created) the background with the Apple logo debossed in the middle. It was possible to use the contextual fill tool in Photoshop to remove the logo. But OS X's linen image remains hidden.

#12 User is offline   younkint 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostMeGhostwriter, on 19 March 2012 - 06:46 AM, said:

Nice one, Kirk.

Isn't there a way to do that with the linen background in mission control? That one I see far more often.

By the way, this one works kinda alright as wooden background:

I also would be interested in the lighter linen background used for Mission Control. So far, I cannot find that one.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users