Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iPad (3rd generation) problem with magnetic covers? - Macworld Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iPad (3rd generation) problem with magnetic covers?

#1 User is offline   ahakim 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-May 11

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM

Hi. I just purchased a targus case for my new iPad and the magnetic on/off isn't working. Seen a few articles on the web that there is a problem with the new iPad and magnetic on/off. Anyone here having this problem? The case says it was designed for the third generation iPad but I've never had a magnetic cover before.
0

#2 User is offline   tntoak 

  • Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 10-June 11

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:22 PM

View Postahakim, on 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi. I just purchased a targus case for my new iPad and the magnetic on/off isn't working. Seen a few articles on the web that there is a problem with the new iPad and magnetic on/off. Anyone here having this problem? The case says it was designed for the third generation iPad but I've never had a magnetic cover before.


I picked up a Targus case for my new iPad and it works fine. Apparently Apple moved the sensor in the new iPad, so some older cases will not work. The Apple Smart Covers have magnets all along the edge, so they were unaffected. Basically, if a case/cover mfr only used one magnet, it's out of position with the new iPad's sensor.

This post has been edited by tntoak: 20 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

0

#3 User is offline   ahakim 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-May 11

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Posttntoak, on 20 March 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

View Postahakim, on 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi. I just purchased a targus case for my new iPad and the magnetic on/off isn't working. Seen a few articles on the web that there is a problem with the new iPad and magnetic on/off. Anyone here having this problem? The case says it was designed for the third generation iPad but I've never had a magnetic cover before.


I picked up a Targus case for my new iPad and it works fine. Apparently Apple moved the sensor in the new iPad, so some older cases will not work. The Apple Smart Covers have magnets all along the edge, so they were unaffected. Basically, if a case/cover mfr only used one magnet, it's out of posting with the new iPad.


Interesting. I had an online chat with a Targus rep and he said this is now a known issue and they will send me a replacement case in 6-8 weeks. The specific case I bought is the Targus VersaVu for iPad 3rd generation. Disappointing that they didn't know about this beforehand but at least they're going to fix the problem.
0

#4 User is offline   tntoak 

  • Member
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 10-June 11

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postahakim, on 20 March 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

View Posttntoak, on 20 March 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

View Postahakim, on 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi. I just purchased a targus case for my new iPad and the magnetic on/off isn't working. Seen a few articles on the web that there is a problem with the new iPad and magnetic on/off. Anyone here having this problem? The case says it was designed for the third generation iPad but I've never had a magnetic cover before.


I picked up a Targus case for my new iPad and it works fine. Apparently Apple moved the sensor in the new iPad, so some older cases will not work. The Apple Smart Covers have magnets all along the edge, so they were unaffected. Basically, if a case/cover mfr only used one magnet, it's out of posting with the new iPad.


Interesting. I had an online chat with a Targus rep and he said this is now a known issue and they will send me a replacement case in 6-8 weeks. The specific case I bought is the Targus VersaVu for iPad 3rd generation. Disappointing that they didn't know about this beforehand but at least they're going to fix the problem.


Same case I bought, and mine works fine...
0

#5 User is offline   vaughner 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 02-March 12

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

The problem is the polarity of the magnet in the case. Apple had issues with the original cases putting the iPad to sleep when the cover was wrapped around behind the iPad. They fixed this by requiring one of the specific poles (North or South) to be pointed at the sensor to engage it, that way, when the magnet was behind the iPad, it was showing the wrong pole to the sensor. Many vendors were unaware of this change as the iPad 1 and 2 both worked either way. If there is any way to get at the magnet, just flip it over and it should work find.
0

#6 User is offline   ahakim 

  • Newbie
  • Group: Macworld Insiders
  • Posts: 4
  • Joined: 16-May 11

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

View Postvaughner, on 04 April 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

The problem is the polarity of the magnet in the case. Apple had issues with the original cases putting the iPad to sleep when the cover was wrapped around behind the iPad. They fixed this by requiring one of the specific poles (North or South) to be pointed at the sensor to engage it, that way, when the magnet was behind the iPad, it was showing the wrong pole to the sensor. Many vendors were unaware of this change as the iPad 1 and 2 both worked either way. If there is any way to get at the magnet, just flip it over and it should work find.


I can't get to the magnets without cutting the case open. Targus is going to send me a free case with this problem fixed in about a month.
0

#7 User is offline   vaughner 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 39
  • Joined: 02-March 12

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

Understood. It's a chance everyone takes. There are some blogs showing how to cut open or break into cases to reverse the magnets. It's not for everyone.
0

#8 User is offline   ethansamuel17 

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 23
  • Joined: 02-April 12

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:22 AM

Yes, I have same problem with my iPad 3 cover and I got new cover before 3 days with great working condition.
0

#9 User is offline   Supersonic68 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: New Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 19-May 12

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

View Postahakim, on 20 March 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Hi. I just purchased a targus case for my new iPad and the magnetic on/off isn't working. Seen a few articles on the web that there is a problem with the new iPad and magnetic on/off. Anyone here having this problem? The case says it was designed for the third generation iPad but I've never had a magnetic cover before.




Are you sure you have it set to work that way in settings? If not go to settings- general-in the right hand column iPad lock/off- on. I don't lil,e using it personally, I think it's easier to turn off and on myself- for some reason I find it irratating so your not missing much!!
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users