Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Not so hot: New iPad heat levels comparable to Android tablets - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not so hot: New iPad heat levels comparable to Android tablets

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Post your comments for Not so hot: New iPad heat levels comparable to Android tablets here

#2 User is offline   KAdamsInCO 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

Finally, some sanity on the heated situation for the new iPad. I don't play games, but I do watch a lot of video on the new iPad, with WiFi on, in a case and I haven't noticed the heat level. Sounds totally blown out of proportion for sure. And what you get in exchange for a bit more heat.... a much faster iPad with a dramatically improved display.... well worth it in my opinion.

#3 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:19 AM

Same question as I asked when I read about the CR test, are you doing this test on multiple units? I suspect a fairly wide variation on different devices based on the reports. My new iPad has results very similar to what is reported here but it is hard to discount others who claim that they feel that the lower (in upright portrait) left corner is actually hot. So far, mine is barely warm under the harshest conditions.

There may still be more to this. More testing would clear it up once and for all.

#4 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

CR have degenerated to the level of 'click whores.' Sad, really.

#5 User is offline   AppleZilla 

• PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'll be looking for the many, many headlines today proclaiming that Android tablets run hot.

#6 User is offline   thinkman 

• PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

As someone who has been in marketing for over 40 years, I have no doubt whatsoever that a good number of these claims are generated in one way or another by companies like Microsoft and Google (primarily Samsung) as a way of discrediting the competition. And it's working! Apple's stock, which should by all rights be soaring from the sales of the new iPad, is doing just the opposite. If this is how the game is played, I would hope that Apple learns some of the tricks of this trade, and do an eye for an eye payback! There is no other answer to this crapfest!

#7 User is offline   brlawyer 

• PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

In other words, a NON-ISSUE.

Thank you Macworld for clarifying this matter once and for all...my iPad 3 will be arriving in one week (I gave the wonderful iPad 1 to my Dad already)..!

#8 User is offline   macrogeek 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

The back light wasn't at 100% and Infinity Blade 2 consumes more power than Riptide does. Stick to hack journalism and leave the science to scientists.

#9 User is offline   macrogeek 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

The back light wasn't at 100% and Infinity Blade 2 consumes more power than Riptide does. It is the back light LEDs that push it to the elevated temps that CR recorded...as well as a poor thermo-mechanical layout. Stick to hack journalism and leave the science to scientists.

#10 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:05 AM

Once again the bias of CR is revealed- they are smarter than everyone else and know what is best for us.
Not accepting advertising may remove one variable for bias but not all. They have fiercely held for many years they are the only unbiased mag of their type in the world and this lie has been seen through again.
As *jdb8167* has pointed out CR's scientific method is woefully inadequate. As this article points out so nicely, having other devices to compare the new iPad to changes the context of assertion altogether. Let's see how hot there other tablets get when their screens have this resolution and they run LTE, etc.
BTW, if anyone finds it too warm for whatever reason but likes the features *adapting to the situation* with a stand for certain activities is still an option.

#11 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

MacWorld should not have performed these tests as they will be held up to ridicule by the iHater crowd. Remember when Apple performed tests on other phones during antenna-gate? Same thing happened and Apple looked defensive. Just live with it. Apple products will forever be held to higher/double standards. An issue on an iDevice will be hyped until the mole hill is Mount Everest while the exact same issue on a competitive device will be totally ignored.

Heat-gate is already gone. Youtube has only a couple of videos alleging heat issues. C|net has not revisited the issue since its initial report. Consumer Reports has not followed up yet. This article, however, will only serve to reignite this dying non-issue.

#12 User is offline   mojo66 

• PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

Could someone convert this to degrees Celcius for all of us who live in the 21st century? Thanks!

#13 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postmojo66, on 26 March 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Could someone convert this to degrees Celcius for all of us who live in the 21st century? Thanks!

You can download a free Widget to do those kinds of conversions. (Fahrenheit to Celsius.) Whew! Jumped the snark on that one!

This post has been edited by Lenjc1957: 26 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

#14 User is offline   mojo66 

• PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

View PostLenjc1957, on 26 March 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

View Postmojo66, on 26 March 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

You can download a free Widget to do those kinds of conversions. (Fahrenheit to Celsius.) Whew! Jumped the snark on that one!

That is surely better than broading the own horizon. Quoting the Wikipedia:

According to the American Central Intelligence Agency's Factbook, the International System of Units is the official system of measurement for all nations in the world except for Burma, Liberia and the United States.

Now that's some company to have!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users