Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: New iPad's battery life matches Apple's claims, but iPad 2 lasts longer - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New iPad's battery life matches Apple's claims, but iPad 2 lasts longer

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:01 AM

Post your comments for New iPad's battery life matches Apple's claims, but iPad 2 lasts longer here

#2 User is offline   GamerChase 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:24 AM

I'd like to see the iPad 1 included on that graph.

#3 User is offline   Payup 

• Pip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

How about a similar test - a time lapse video of iPad 2 and new iPad side by side with nothing but safari open on full brightness and an infrared thermometer pointed at each one of them. This would show a) battery life difference B) how hot it gets during very basic usage.

#4 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:39 AM

With the extra crisp display the new iPad has, I don't find it necessary to keep the screen nearly as bright as I did with the previous 2 iPads. Therefore, I find the battery life to be essentially the same.

Full brightness on the new iPad is almost too bright for regular use.

#5 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:00 AM

If I might offer an opinion on your feature request to Apple: A repeat option would have somewhat limited value, outside of testing scenarios such as yours -- but I think a native video "playlist" feature would have more broad applicability to many more users, and would also serve the same purpose as that repeat option, for your product testing.

Personally, I would love to have this playlist feature myself for watching music videos on my iPhone, (which seems to be the most commonly stated reason for this request) or for letting the kids watch their DVRed TV shows back-to-back on long car rides, without me having to queue up a new show for them every twenty-two minutes.

That said, there are already a couple of less-then-perfect-but-serviceable video playlist options in the iOS App Store. Might be worth a glance.
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#6 User is offline   MutantPie 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:28 AM

Like GamerChase, I'd like to see the results with an iPad 1 included, however I think that to be fair/accurate all three models should be tested with new batteries, the versions 1 & 2 getting fresh ones installed.

#7 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:45 AM

View PostMutantPie, on 30 March 2012 - 07:28 AM, said:

Like GamerChase, I'd like to see the results with an iPad 1 included, however I think that to be fair/accurate all three models should be tested with new batteries, the versions 1 & 2 getting fresh ones installed.

That might be difficult for the original iPad unless it uses the same battery as the iPad 2. If the replacement battery has been sitting on a shelf for 2 years, it could very well be less than "like new". The problem is that lithium ion batteries degrade even sitting on a shelf. Not as much as if used but they do have a shelf life.

#8 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

Thank you for adding the refinement of measuring the backlight intensity. I've been wondering about that for a while. It is far better than setting a comfortable or reasonable level by sight alone since the backlight is the biggest battery drain in these kinds of devices.

#9 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Not everyone is that interested in movie watching or game playing. A reading test, including page turns, at living-room brightness and in a darkened room would useful, as would a test of battery life as an mobile productivity device in lieu of a laptop. Quite a few people, me included, see our new iPads as a substitute for a laptop, particularly for less complex tasks.

#10 User is offline   kent909 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

I have never ended the day with my iPad battery being dead. I think I have seen 8% as the lowest reading. So for me the bottom line is, it does not matter how long the battery lasts, but does the battery last as long as I need it to. In my case it does. I would also suggest that if you run out of battery before the end of the day, maybe you should be spending some time do something else.

#11 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostInkling, on 30 March 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Not everyone is that interested in movie watching or game playing. ...

I think you fail to see the true significance of the test; movie watching and game playing are two of the most battery draining activities that you can perform on any given mobile device. The intent here is to show what "worst case scenario" usage looks like, and to assure potential customers that the new iPad will live up to Apple's advertising claims even under those usage cases. We can then infer that most other types of usage (including mixed usage) will almost always result in longer battery life, to different degrees depending upon the types of usage.

Since we're talking about an advertised battery life of ten hours, and you're asking about common every day activities, (as opposed to uncommon extended use scenarios, such as international flights which might potentially last longer then the battery) then I think it's safe to say that you're worrying too much about the statistics, and not enough about the user experience.

This post has been edited by zarmanto: 30 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#12 User is offline   ScottHines3ku0 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

The test seems fair. I keep my iPad plugged in as much as possible, but a quick trip outside or to the mall uses very little power.

#13 User is offline   Petew 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

James wrote: "As a side note, we chose 150 cd/m^2, instead of just setting the brightness slider to the center so that we could compare results across a variety of tablets in future tests."

So, instead of halfway, where is the slider on both iPads at 150 cd/m^2? An included picture of this would have been nice.

#14 User is offline   Althewop 

• Pip

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Since I had battery issues (that Apple barely acknowledgeed) with my iPad 2 from the time I bought it until the iOS 5.1 update, I a thrilled with the battery performance in the new iPad.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users