• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Post your comments for How to make Lion's desktop spaces stick here

#2 User is offline   singingyogi 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Wow, have had Lion now for quite some time and learning something new is always refreshing! Working on my dissertation with multiple screens....never thought or knew of this option. Thanks so much!

#3 User is offline   billthecat 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

How do I prevent different Finder windows from getting scattered among different spaces?

#4 User is offline   pcharles 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

I held of Lion for the longest time, but now I have switched (wanted iBooks Author and needed to migrate to iCloud so I could pair with iPad) I am pretty happy. I just started using full screen and spaces, and programmed my two buttons on my logitech mouse to switch between them, and it works great.

Just looked at Mission control and have to wonder which of the 5 or so buttons/scrollwheel on my mouse correspond to the 32 mouse buttons it lists! Crazy!!!!

#5 User is offline   ToddJolley 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

View Postbillthecat, on 04 April 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

How do I prevent different Finder windows from getting scattered among different spaces?

Open finder on whatever desktop you want all your Finder windows to aggregate on. Then right click (or command click) the Finder icon -> Options -> This Desktop. Now every time you open Finder it will snap to the desktop you defined

#6 User is offline   billthecat 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostToddJolley, on 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

View Postbillthecat, on 04 April 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Open finder on whatever desktop you want all your Finder windows to aggregate on. Then right click (or command click) the Finder icon -> Options -> This Desktop. Now every time you open Finder it will snap to the desktop you defined

Cool, thanks! :)

#7 User is offline   Fiorentino 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Is there any way to assign a number to one of the full-screen app spaces? For example, I have three desktops that I can switch between by using control-1, control-2, or control-3. (You might have to turn this option on in Keyboard Shortcuts, but it's there.) The only keyboard command to switch to a full-screen app is with control-left or -right (which, depending on where the app is, might have to be repeated). This isn't a bad solution, but I wish there were a keyboard command that would take me directly there.

#8 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Potentially easier (but not a single keystroke) is to use Command-Tab.

#9 User is offline   JacktheMac 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:48 AM

"The first is the main desktop for OS X, then on the right I have a blank desktop that I use as a space for applications with a lot of windows. "

Is it possible to create a Space with a desktop that's completely blank (no folders, attached drives etc) ? Hyperspaces did this (and usefully labelled each space) but isn't compatible with Lion. A pity because it made Spaces much more intuitive to use.

Do let me know how to create a blank desktop. I have a feeling I'm going to have a Homer Duuuh moment when you do...

#10 User is offline   bradpaulp 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

Thank you so much for the reply MacWorld ! So glad that you guys take the time to read through these emails that come in ! I also can't believe I never found that little checkbox before :) Thank you again for your help.

#11 User is offline   johnnylundy 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

Anyone have the issue where you have to click twice on a Dock icon in order for the app to appear, when the app is in a different Space? I basically can't use Spaces because of this.

The first click shows the menu bar of the chosen app, without any window. The second click actually slides the Space in. It's bizarre.

#12 User is offline   afippinger 

• Pip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have a sort of related question. Is there anyway to make the menu bar remain visible when in a full screen application. For instance, I use Chrome in full screen, but I hate that I can't easily see the time and date from the menu bar. And I would like the dropdown menu options to be readily visible.

#13 User is offline   jhumroo 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Never thought to look for this option under Mission Control. Thanks!

#14 User is offline   rocketmouse 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

And now for how to do the same in Snow Leopard... Please.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users