Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: HD activity using virtual machine - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HD activity using virtual machine iMac HD activity when using Parallels/Window XP

#1 User is offline   hshanko 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

[I have some applications that require Windows. I have been using Parallels, which worked well in the past. But recently, 6 months or more, there is a lot of HD head thrashing (it seems) taking place such that it takes 1-2 minutes for a mouse click to be honored. And takes near an hour to get into Windows!!!

I don't know if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question. But does anyone have an idea what is happening, and how to eliminate the problem. I tried a 'free' virus checker a few days ago but no files appeared to be corrupted.

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:47 PM

View Posthshanko, on 06 April 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

[I have some applications that require Windows. I have been using Parallels, which worked well in the past. But recently, 6 months or more, there is a lot of HD head thrashing (it seems) taking place such that it takes 1-2 minutes for a mouse click to be honored. And takes near an hour to get into Windows!!!

I don't know if this is the most appropriate place to ask this question. But does anyone have an idea what is happening, and how to eliminate the problem. I tried a 'free' virus checker a few days ago but no files appeared to be corrupted.

Just a guess, but it's possible what you're describing might happen if your virtual machine was configured to have more memory than your real one.

#3 User is offline   hshanko 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

bastion You wrote:
Just a guess, but it's possible what you're describing might happen if your virtual machine was configured to have more memory than your real one.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what to do with this information. To my knowledge a 5 GB HD partition was created for Windows and Parallels indicates some 512MB of RAM is used.

But, after a while after Suspending/Quitting Parallels/Windows, the iMac alone is also suffering for the same effects; ie: HD spending a lot of time moving the head not letting the user have access for many seconds, up to maybe a minute.

Not sure when this began. Maybe I added an application that ic causing this effect. It sure would be nice to have the iMac running normal speed/access.

Thank you for your hint. Got another for Parallels/Windows not being used?

This post has been edited by hshanko: 08 April 2012 - 09:48 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users