• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Post your comments for Facebook buys Instagram for $1 billion here

#2 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

A billion? Wow, I had no idea Instapaper was worth so much! Of course, to be fair, I've never used the app/service. But still, wow.

#3 User is offline   AppleZilla 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Double click home. Hold icon until wiggle. Delete app.

Done.

#4 User is offline   Lenjc1957 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Wow. Does this mean that the party's over now? Because I really don't wish to be connected to Facebook in any way, shape, or form.

This post has been edited by Lenjc1957: 09 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

#5 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Wait ... a $0 app that applies a filter to a photo and uploads it to a free photo sharing site which connects to Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter = ONE BILLION USD.

I must be missing something. But then again. One BILLION ???

#6 User is offline   booishboos 

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

Pretty soon, we'll all either need to get Facebook accounts or stop using technology. I'm not sure which I'll choose.

#7 User is offline   Jasonmwa 

• PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:55 PM

View PostAppleZilla, on 09 April 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Double click home. Hold icon until wiggle. Delete app.

Done.

Gotta say, that was my knee-jerk reaction. I love(d) Instagram and have furthered myself day by day from Facebook.

“We need to be mindful about keeping and building on Instagram’s strengths and features rather than just trying to integrate everything into Facebook,” Zuckerberg wrote on his Facebook timeline. “That’s why we’re committed to building and growing Instagram independently.”

Integrate... EVERYTHING... sounds like Facebook picked this up to gut it, use what they can and toss the rest when they're done. I can't blame them; Instagram has done social photography so well, better than Facebook ever did. For some time people have pondered what was Instagram's revenue raising ventures with no one seeing how the free app could continue with no financial plan. Perhaps this is their way to support it.

Until Facebook kills it.

Social media was flourishing at one time yet has trimmed back; while FB and Twitter look to be staples, I fear for other smaller groups like Path or Pinterest. How long until some massive conglomerate snatches them up if for no other reason than to eliminate the competition/lay claim to technology.

#8 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

View Postbooishboos, on 09 April 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

Pretty soon, we'll all either need to get Facebook accounts or stop using technology. I'm not sure which I'll choose.

Unfortunately it does seem we are heading to Facebook Nation or FaceBook World, doesn't it?

There's been several websites that hopped on the Facebook wagon and now require you to have a Facebook account to register, comment, ... You can't watch or read the news without seeing FB buttons everywhere. Everybody and every business wants you to like them.

Maybe in time there'll be a new think different movement ;)

#9 User is offline   chosmith 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

You might have missed the small print where by now FB can use all of the personal data collected from each photo to add to their growing pool of data of millions of users to help drive more accurate advertising :-) = 1 Billion.

View Posticerabbit, on 09 April 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

Wait ... a $0 app that applies a filter to a photo and uploads it to a free photo sharing site which connects to Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter = ONE BILLION USD.

#10 User is offline   bradpaulp 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

Beh, im not a fan of anything Facebook does/acquires. Partically when they acquire great existing services and then eventually FORCE you to sign on with Facebook or get rid of the service completely. For instance, Beluga chat service was amazing and then they acquired it, still let you use it for a little while, and then poof it no longer exists, and can only now use "Facebook chat". I HOPE Im wrong when I say that I think the same might happen to instagram. I hope I'm wrong.

#11 User is offline   NikoNikorocksComxfn3 

• PipPip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:14 AM

View Posticerabbit, on 09 April 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

You hit the nail on the head. Starving children: Continue starving, the brat billionaire behind Facebook is still at large.

#12 User is online   johnm0630 

• Pip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

Regarding acquisitions such as Facbook's strategic acquisition of Instagram, Apple should acquire PATH (path.com) and integrate it into the IOS platform. Apple has great products but has truly failed at Social as part of the platform and user experience. Path is such a beautifully designed experience that it would make a seamless addition to the IOS experience.

#13 User is offline   ljmac 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Haven't we learnt anything from the Dot Com bubble and the GFC? A company that gives away its product for free and doesn't have any apparent source of revenue gets $500 million in venture capital then gets bought for $1 billion? And the company buying it (despite its ubiquity) still hasn't demonstrated it can turn a profit itself? Meanwhile, all sorts of people with perfectly viable business models can't get investors. What's going on here?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users