Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Kaspersky Lab suspends Flashback-fighting tool - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kaspersky Lab suspends Flashback-fighting tool

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Post your comments for Kaspersky Lab suspends Flashback-fighting tool here

#2 User is offline   warlock7 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

How interesting that Kaspersky's tool was acting like a virus...
Stay sane inside insanity.

#3 User is offline   likethepear 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

Glad I didn't open this "removal tool" after downloading it. I won't trust anything from Kaspersky anymore, that's for sure. And I won't be purchasing any of their products. I'm too paranoid after all this. I miss the days where I could be all smug towards the Windows users I work with.

#4 User is offline   Salvo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Anyone who installs any Third-Party AV software after reading this article is an idiot.

Mac OS X doesn't need aftermarket AV. Even Microsoft are starting to push in-house AV in the form of MS Security Essentials, and discouraging users from using third-party products.

#5 User is offline   rthuringer 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

So when might Apple start implementing its own AV software like the MS Security Essentials? MS has taken the initiative to do this for all the Windows users, Apple should do the same. Right? Since Apple is gaining momentum in the PC market, enough to entice the virus hacker boys. Time to step up Apple and keep us safe and secure as we are your loyal users.

#6 User is offline   lkrupp 

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Way to go Kaspersky! Great marketing! Hosing user's computers is a really good way to promote your security software.

#7 User is offline   markbyrn 

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Looks like we have a case of the cure being worse than the disease. Having used Kaspersky on a Win box in the past, good luck in trying to remove it.

#8 User is offline   zarmanto 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

View Postrthuringer, on 12 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

So when might Apple start implementing its own AV software like the MS Security Essentials? ...

Apparently, you didn't get the memo; Apple did this already, back in 2009. ( reference ) In fact, there are reports that Apple updated the definitions for that built-in malware protection to address a previous version of Flashback, as recently as November 2011. ( reference )

The real question in my mind, is why did Apple need to release two separate Java updaters in order to address this latest incarnation of Flashback? Was XProtect not capable of dealing with it, for some reason?
- 24" iMac: 2.33GHz Core2 Duo/3GB RAM/2TB HD/GeForce 7600 w/256MB VRAM
- Hackintosh: 2.3GHz AMD Quad-Core/4GB RAM/multiple HDs/GeForce 8600 GTS w/256MB
- Verizon iPhone 4
- AppleTV (2nd Gen)
- 1TB Time Capsule
- 80GB iPod Classic

#9 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

View Postlkrupp, on 12 April 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Way to go Kaspersky! Great marketing! Hosing user's computers is a really good way to promote your security software.

No excuse for Kaspersky. This is very embarrasing for them. One could go into their possible inexperience with OSX vs. Windows, but it's very poor form.

As for myself (being an idiot according to Salvo's definition above), for the benefit of fellow candidate idiots, I installed Norton Internet Security on a Mac Mini and it went off without a hitch. No noticable performance impact. If things stay well, I'll install it on the other four Macs in the house. Word of advise, exclude your Time Machine drive, because of the way it's structured and implimented the intial system scan will take forever... If you don't have issues on your main drives, the Time Machine will be okay too.

This post has been edited by klahanas: 12 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#10 User is offline   klahanas 

• Veteran

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postklahanas, on 12 April 2012 - 07:15 PM, said:

No excuse for Kaspersky. This is very embarrasing for them. One could go into their possible inexperience with OSX vs. Windows, but it's very poor form.

As for myself (being an idiot according to Salvo's definition above), for the benefit of fellow candidate idiots, I installed Norton Internet Security on a Mac Mini and it went off without a hitch. No noticable performance impact. If things stay well, I'll install it on the other four Macs in the house. Word of advise, exclude your Time Machine drive, because of the way it's structured and implimented the intial system scan will take forever... If you don't have issues on your main drives, the Time Machine will be okay too.

Come to think of it, my advise is inadequate, the Time Machine would be a great place to hide malware. They need to figure out a way to scan it without rescanning every file five thousand times...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of music,
But glittering prizes and endless compromises
Shatter the illusion of integrity."

-Rush

#11 User is offline   geoxnet176 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

View Postrthuringer, on 12 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

So when might Apple start implementing its own AV software like the MS Security Essentials? MS has taken the initiative to do this for all the Windows users, Apple should do the same. Right? Since Apple is gaining momentum in the PC market, enough to entice the virus hacker boys. Time to step up Apple and keep us safe and secure as we are your loyal users.

What about Gatekeeper? It will feature the next OS X release (aka Mountain Lion). You can choose from three different settings; "allow installation from any source", "allow installation only from Mac App Store" and the third is "allow installation from only secure source and Mac App Store" if I recall correctly.

I guess with the most strict level such a trojan has not a chance since the OS does not allow its installation at all.

#12 User is offline   redgeminipa 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

Apple released another Java update yesterday that removes Flashback.

#13 User is offline   the_guy 

• PipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

A quick look at the script they put together shows it is totally brain dead. It scans all the applications on your computer for Java components and deletes them without warning or any log of its activity. In fact, even the UI is misleading as it states it will scan for trouble THEN offer to delete it, but when you proceed it simply starts the deletions. Truly brilliant code.

#14 User is offline   ProfessorTomrvyj 

• Pip

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Well, if Kaspersky's tool really did hose users' systems, they are now more secure because that End User can't access it to screw it up more. That counts for something, right?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users