Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does the color wheel mean?

#1 User is offline   mbryda 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2002 - 06:24 PM

Now that I've been playing with the Mac almost exclusively, I have one question. What the heck is the computer doing when the spinning color wheel pops up?

I mean it seems like every other thing I do produces some delay with the SCW (Spinning Color Wheel). Pop into iPhoto, wait for the SCW to clear. Open a photo in iPhoto - OK, open another, SCW. Pop into Photoshop, SCW. In short, it seems like there is a little too much SCW activity.

I tried tracing it down, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason for it. It happens sometimes if the system is paging other times it happens out of the blue. Since the Mac has no HD light (and it has a quiet HD) I can't tell if it's disk access or what. I have 384MB RAM in the PC, so I don't know if it's RAM or some internal thing for OSX that's causig it...

Anyone have any clues/suggestions, etc. for this? Is it a problem we just have to live with?

-Matt

#2 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2002 - 06:29 PM

It's just a "busy" indicator. It means that the app you're currently in won't accept any input at the time. This doesn't mean, unlike OS 9, that you can't switch into another app. In fact, that's what I usually do if an app is being temperamental.

#3 User is offline   Nobody 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2002 - 07:30 PM

If this is occurring quite often one way to try to isolate why it is happening is to go to the Terminal and type top to get a list of all the open processes, how much CPU percentage is being used, how much real memory is being used, how much VM is being used etc...
Jim
You could also use the process viewer, but I find top to be more informative.

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: jpmhughes ]

#4 User is offline   mbryda 

• PipPip

Posted 06 May 2002 - 02:20 AM

It truly seems to me more random. I've looked at top and vmstat 5 adn sometimes it does come on when paging happens, but other times it seems like it doesn't make sense.

iPhoto, for one. Looking at a couple pictures - double click one it pops up right away. Close that one and open another and boom, color wheel. Scroll through a bunch of pics. 1/4 way through it, bam SCW.

I'll have to keep an eye on it closer with top and vmstat. Any good primers on deciphering the memory columns of top?

-Matt

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users