Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Spammed by Linkedin - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spammed by Linkedin How do I prevent them from accessing my Address book?

#1 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

I recently signed up for Linkedin. Not sure why and now I deeply regret it.

These lowlifes managed to get me in a moment of weakness and by some turn of the phrase, or question, managed to get into my address book and they spammed everyone in there with their junk mail. I was very embarrassed and had to reply to a number of people who were puzzled at what I was up to. It also went to people who I really did not want to contact.

First they started going through my Address Book entry by entry, asking me if I wanted to send something (I know now that they meant - spam) to the names in there. Then when I was sure I had said I want no one sent an email, they somehow did the dastardly deed anyways.

Is there a way to prevent access to my Address Book by anyone? I would like an option that says "never".

Reminds me of Facebook. They spam me constantly with junk mail and reminders. I was able to turn off some of the garbage, but it is very annoying.

Funny, I though in my naivety that a major site like Linkedin would be above that.

This post has been edited by Alan: 27 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Cheers
Alan

24" iMac, 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

Griffen 250 Gb backup HD for Lion Recovery and old Time Machine data

1TB ext. HD for current Time Machine (510.87 Gb) and 2nd partition contains Super Duper @225.62 GB

#2 User is offline   macnuke 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

t's been my observation that linkedin is just facebook for professionals. :lol:

and ya.... i killed my linkedin.

#3 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

I agree with your observation.
Cheers
Alan

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

1TB ext. HD for current Time Machine (510.87 Gb) and 2nd partition contains Super Duper @225.62 GB

#4 User is offline   EGM 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:59 AM

There is a fundamental conceptual difference between LinkedIn and Facebook. To oversimplify: Facebook is for keeping up with people you do know. LinkedIn is for finding people you don't know. People who don't understand this, and who sign up for either one expecting it to be like the other but for a different demographic, will be disappointed. That doesn't mean the service itself is flawed. Anyone who says "this service is bad because it didn't meet my needs" is missing the point as much as anyone who says a Ferrari 458 Italia is bad because it won't haul four kids and the groceries.

#5 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

View PostEGM, on 28 April 2012 - 06:59 AM, said:

LinkedIn is for finding people you don't know. People who don't understand this, and who sign up for either one expecting it to be like the other but for a different demographic, will be disappointed. That doesn't mean the service itself is flawed. Anyone who says "this service is bad because it didn't meet my needs" is missing the point as much as anyone who says a Ferrari 458 Italia is bad because it won't haul four kids and the groceries.

OK, so why did they spam the people I do know? It definitely disappointed me. That was downright rude.
Cheers
Alan

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

#6 User is offline   worldisnotenough 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

never happened to me. you obviously did something wrong. reread your profile settings.

#7 User is offline   Alan 

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

When I signed up for originally a long time ago, they weren't so clever and it did not happen to me. Then I cancelled the account as it was not useful and I could see no point in it. Regular spam for nothing.

Then I was requested to give a Linkedin address for something I wanted to do, so I signed up again. It must be a new 'feature'.

No doubt for some people it is a very nice service which is a big bonus in their business life, a 24/7 business card.

Bottom line for me is to get rid of it again and be extra careful if I ever sign up for anything ever again.

I posted this as a warning to others.
Cheers
Alan

15" MBP 2007 4GB RAM

ipod touch 5th gen.

iphone 3rd gen

#8 User is offline   ridddder 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

We have a similar problem at the company I work, these indian or nigerian scam artists sign up, and say they work for your company but they do not. Then they post comments which are derogatory about the company. We have emailed customer service multiple times about this problem. Now that I signed up as an administrator, I thought I could delete them, but I have to prove they do not work for the company.

Um does a name like fffftgheb sound like a real person to you? This is all so frustrating, and not worth my time when I need to send multiple emails to get the fakers out of our page, and customer service does not help in the least.

I give Linked in a big thumbs down, for being a useless business tool, but can be a good networking tool to link you to other business professionals in your field. So bad for a company, but good for you personally? Well maybe....hasn't really been worth a hill of beans yet, but who knows.

:huh:
"It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users