Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Safari 6 available for Mountain Lion and Lion, but not Windows - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Safari 6 available for Mountain Lion and Lion, but not Windows

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

Post your comments for Safari 6 available for Mountain Lion and Lion, but not Windows here

#2 User is offline   tfrogh 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Don't forget, SL users. They are denied as well. Lack of Rosetta in Lion/Mountain Lion or the ability to Virtualize SL holds MANY of us back.

#3 User is offline   btb83 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Posttfrogh, on 26 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

Don't forget, SL users. They are denied as well. Lack of Rosetta in Lion/Mountain Lion or the ability to Virtualize SL holds MANY of us back.

+1

You would think MACworld would mention this. Just about everyone assumed that Snow Leopard would stop receiving updates, but this is the first evidence that Apple is continuing this unwritten policy.

This post has been edited by btb83: 26 July 2012 - 11:55 AM

#4 User is offline   lrm72 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have been looking unsuccessfully for a while: is there anywhere to find accurate Mac browser market share figures? These are very easy to find for Windows, but Mac data seems a lot harder to find; I ask because at my school (where ~60% of people use Macs) I'd guess that more than half of these people use chrome rather than safari.

#5 User is offline   schoonerman 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

[Final paragraph] There shouldn't be anyone running Windows XP SP2, which is no longer supported. Service pack 3 has been out a long time and is the only supported XP (until April 2014 when all support ceases).
John W Baxter

#6 User is offline   bigpoppa206 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

View Posttfrogh, on 26 July 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

It their effort to get rid of old 32bit code, I can understand the necessary hardware limitations. Mtn Lion is so much quicker thanks to this.

#7 User is offline   anstormacworld 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

The only way apple can beat chrome is to once again release "The fastest browser on the planet". Apparently Apple had lost interest in winning the thermonuclear war on google.

#8 User is offline   jescott418 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

Its really sad how Apple has chosen to drop support for a still viable OS for Mac users who need Rosetta support or who simply have hardware not upgradable to run Lion well or ML. After all its Apple who designs these Macbook Airs with soldered RAM. What Apple has tried to do is make it almost required to frequently replace your hardware to play in Apple's closed garden. As for the Windows version of Safari. Considering World stats only indicate 4% to 5% user base of Safari over any other browser. I doubt their is .5% users on Windows using Safari. But even so with Windows 8 coming out and the complexities that brings for browsers. I doubt Apple thought it was worth the resources.

#9 User is offline   jescott418 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

View Postanstormacworld, on 26 July 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

The only way apple can beat chrome is to once again release "The fastest browser on the planet". Apparently Apple had lost interest in winning the thermonuclear war on google.

The one thing Apple has always done with Safari is brag about specifics when it comes to browser performance but ignore realities.
I guarantee you Microsoft made the same mistakes with Internet Explorer as it ran on its ability to be included in its OS as the only requirement
to succeed. Apple surprisingly is replaying those same mistakes with Safari. Given the fact Chrome is based on the WebKit engine as Safari is.
I have to wonder why Apple finds itself playing catchup with Chrome for use on its own OS?

#10 User is offline   SimonGardener13ax 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

After the bug-ridden page-hanging force-reloading horror that was safari 5, Safari 6 is a breathe of fresh air.

Thank you for finally fixing this Apple - what took you so long?

2 days and not a single hang - instead of several times an hour

The unified search and url bar is nice and so are a couple of the other features but forget them for a moment - the number one feature of Safari 6 is that it works

Chrome users you can come on home now , its alright again

#11 User is offline   MichaelDixono9n5 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Doesn't matter. Safari 6 stinks to high heaven. Completely kill off RSS feed viewing? That's crazy. That feature was the primary method of my being able to research many RSS-based webpages each day. Check the Apple support threads...people are fuming.

#12 User is offline   Sasparilla 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

"But one set of folks won’t ever be able to upgrade their copies of Safari past version number five: Windows users."

Should two sets of folks - the other being any Mac user that is running a version of OS X older than the year old Lion....Safari updates to Snow Leopard are over.

Although with dropping RSS support (which kills the Top Sites page site update indicator as well) that may not be such a bad thing till a security issue comes up.

#13 User is offline   fivetonsflax 

• Pip

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

"Year-old Lion"? Lion came out in mid-2011, according to Wikipedia.

#14 User is offline   marshall119us 

• Pip

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'm g

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users