Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mountain lion and midi websites with embedded midi files don't play

#1 User is offline   Donald_G 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

My new Mac Pro with Mountain Lion has a problem playing web content that uses midi files and embedded midi files. Every browser (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox) gives the same result, namely no sound at all. Lion and Snow Leopard behave alright in this regard. Perhaps it is a missing or bad plugin.

#2 User is offline   Typhoon14 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostDonald_G, on 12 August 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

My new Mac Pro with Mountain Lion has a problem playing web content that uses midi files and embedded midi files. Every browser (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox) gives the same result, namely no sound at all. Lion and Snow Leopard behave alright in this regard. Perhaps it is a missing or bad plugin.

MIDI audio was handled by the legacy QuickTime framework (deprecated since OS 10.6.) In Mountain Lion, it looks like they finally removed support for legacy playback from the QuickTime Browser Plugin. You can still play download midi files using QuickTime 7 (which will install automatically the first time you try to launch a midi file.) To play them in a browser, you'd need a third-party plugin with Midi support. My brief search has not found any Mac plugins that do this…

I haven't seen an imbedded midi in any sites that have been updated since about 1998 - is this something you encounter often?

#3 User is offline   Donald_G 

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostTyphoon14, on 12 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

MIDI audio was handled by the legacy QuickTime framework (deprecated since OS 10.6.) In Mountain Lion, it looks like they finally removed support for legacy playback from the QuickTime Browser Plugin. You can still play download midi files using QuickTime 7 (which will install automatically the first time you try to launch a midi file.) To play them in a browser, you'd need a third-party plugin with Midi support. My brief search has not found any Mac plugins that do this…

I haven't seen an imbedded midi in any sites that have been updated since about 1998 - is this something you encounter often?

Thanks for answering my question. I had suspected something like this but I wasn't sure. I use midi files in my melody search engine, http://www.parfaitole.com/ when the user wants to play their query. I have used an embedded midi file in my personal web page.

Donald

#4 User is offline   Typhoon14 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostDonald_G, on 12 August 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

View PostTyphoon14, on 12 August 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Thanks for answering my question. I had suspected something like this but I wasn't sure. I use midi files in my melody search engine, http://www.parfaitole.com/ when the user wants to play their query. I have used an embedded midi file in my personal web page.

Donald

If it's for sites you control, you might consider using a flash-based MIDI player. A quick Google search seems to indicate there are several of these. This would probably be the most widely compatible option…

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users