Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

Great article for newbies, thanks Ren! More on headphones button-clicking:
Double-click and hold will fast forward through your music
Triple-click and hold will rewind.
G

#3 User is offline   aestival 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

great article, but I can't help recalling that I didn't need a SIM card initially to use my unlocked iPhone 4 -- not all your readers live in the locked-iPhone-only US.

#4 User is offline   treestump 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

Nice article.

One important comment regarding "turning your iPhone into an iPod", I have not done this with Apple products but I have seen it with other de-activated cell phones. Any de-activated cell phone still has the ability to make emergency 9-1-1 calls. This should be stated, as it will not make for an appropriate children's toy. The new "iPod" recipient should be responsible enough to not accidentally call 9-1-1.

#5 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

great article, but I can't help recalling that I didn't need a SIM card initially to use my unlocked iPhone 4 -- not all your readers live in the locked-iPhone-only US.

Hm. How did you get cellular network access without a SIM card? When traveling with an unlocked phone, you generally need a card from a pay-go provider at the least.

Nice article. One important comment regarding "turning your iPhone into an iPod", I have not done this with Apple products but I have seen it with other de-activated cell phones. Any de-activated cell phone still has the ability to make emergency 9-1-1 calls. This should be stated, as it will not make for an appropriate children's toy. The new "iPod" recipient should be responsible enough to not accidentally call 9-1-1.

This is a great point. To get around this, I've seen folks turn on Airplane Mode + Wi-Fi and hide their Phone app in a folder, but kids are crafty.

#6 User is offline   aestival 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hm. How did you get cellular network access without a SIM card? When traveling with an unlocked phone, you generally need a card from a pay-go provider at the least.

The article implies that the only way to use an old iPhone is to have a SIM card in it (last paragraph). I wasn't referring to cell network access, since that obviously requires cell access, and that obviously requires a SIM card (except for emergency calls, I guess). My experience was that my unlocked iPhone 4 worked fine but required a SIM card for cell access, though it was two years ago and I don't recall the specific limitations. Maybe there are issues that I'm missing, once an unlocked phone has been linked to a SIM card at least once.

#7 User is offline   Care821 

• Pip

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

So here I am with this fancy new phone but cannot for the life of me transfer my contacts....spent 45 minutes at Apple and another 1.5 hours at sprint and they were both unable to move the contacts from my EVO? Any suggestions, even just moving them from gmail hasn't worked.

#8 User is offline   pared3s 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

So here I am with this fancy new phone but cannot for the life of me transfer my contacts....spent 45 minutes at Apple and another 1.5 hours at sprint and they were both unable to move the contacts from my EVO? Any suggestions, even just moving them from gmail hasn't worked.

I have an Evo too. What I did was first sync my contacts to google. Then I imported the contacts to the address book on my Mac. From there sync those to iCloud and then you'll be able to access it on your phone. Hope that helps.

#9 User is offline   DonSmith 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

Great article but missed one circumstance; you get your new phone delivered but you can't use it until you switch its number from the account that was eligible to your own account. Yes, I will Bogart my sons eligibility! I'm not above that! He comes out good, though, by getting my 4s and paying nothing. It's the natural order of things in my house. I was a first-day purchaser of the original iPhone so the family lets me have the new model every year even if they have to trade their eligibility. I have my iPhone 5 but now I have to go to my local AT&T store to have them put in a new SIM card with my number and then assign his number to my 4s. I suspect I'm not alone in ordering the phone on an eligible number within my family plan and then switching the number on its arrival.

#10 User is offline   mphill1tx 

• Pip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Set up your gmail account as an exchange account - you don't need a Domain - for the server, you will enter m.google.com - and that should do it - good luck

#11 User is offline   SCMODS 

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

Well here's a wrinkle I haven't seen addressed yet in any forum, particularly from Apple! If you have an (ancient) Mac (mine is G5 cir 2005) you're stuck in time at OS 10.5.8 and your iTunes is max'd at 10.6.3; but your iPhone 5, running iOS 6, demands iTunes 10.7; but iTunes 10.7 requires the Intel CPU, running (the oldest) OS 10.6.8!!! Oh and being "bi-linqual" (Mac & Win) don't think you can run the latest iTunes on XP! Fortunately I have a Win 7 on an HP; unfortunately I have spent all weekend since Friday's arrival, manually re-creating what I have on my old 3GS to my new 5 using Home Sharing & some iCloud techniques ( I have way more stuff than the free 5G offered on iCloud for me to buy more mem for backup on the cloud)! Still transferring, grumble and saving for a new Mac ( in about 3yrs!)!!!

#12 User is offline   Falken 

• Pip

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

The problem that I found is with using the backup from my 3GS. I updated it to iOS6 before doing my backup. I then chose to restore my data from the 3GS to my iPhone 5 via iTunes. All my data was there, but my problem is with the iOS. It restored the iOS 6 from the 3GS and the files that only work with it. So there are IOS6 files missing on the iPhone 5 which will need to be reinstalled. One example is FaceTime. I've heard others are having this same issue.

#13 User is offline   Tmellis 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

Since upgrading to iOS 6, my device no longer connects to the Handsfree device in my car. I am using an iPhone 5. Anyone else experience this problem?

#14 User is offline   wingate 

• Pip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

You will NOT be able to use your old iPhone headphones with the iPhone 5. They do not fit the audio jack for the iPhone 5. I have confirmed same with Apple support. So make certain to contact Apple if the ear pods fall apart (they are guaranteed also for a year).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users