Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Invalid Server Certificate for gmail using Google Chrome - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invalid Server Certificate for gmail using Google Chrome

#1 User is offline   dmrochell 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:29 AM

When using Google Chrome 21.0.1180.90 on MacOS 10.5 to access gmail.com I receive the following error:

Invalid Server Certificate
You attempted to reach mail.google.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.

Clicking on 'Help me understand' gives me:

When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).
In this case, the server certificate or an intermediate CA certificate presented to your browser is invalid. This may mean that the certificate is malformed, contains invalid fields, or is not supported.

I have tried unsuccessfully to solve this. Can someone help?

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:57 PM

View Postdmrochell, on 13 October 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

When using Google Chrome 21.0.1180.90 on MacOS 10.5 to access gmail.com I receive the following error:

You attempted to reach mail.google.com, but the server presented an invalid certificate.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.

When you connect to a secure website, the server hosting that site presents your browser with something called a "certificate" to verify its identity. This certificate contains identity information, such as the address of the website, which is verified by a third party that your computer trusts. By checking that the address in the certificate matches the address of the website, it is possible to verify that you are securely communicating with the website you intended, and not a third party (such as an attacker on your network).
In this case, the server certificate or an intermediate CA certificate presented to your browser is invalid. This may mean that the certificate is malformed, contains invalid fields, or is not supported.

Have you checked to make sure that you are running the latest version of Chrome? I know that it is not the latest version (I am on 22.x), but not sure if using Leopard (i.e. 10.5) might only be supported by Chrome 21.x (I kind of doubt it, however).

Also have you tried other browsers (i.e. Safari or Firefox)?

#3 User is offline   dmrochell 

• Pip

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

View Postsmax013, on 13 October 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

View Postdmrochell, on 13 October 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

Have you checked to make sure that you are running the latest version of Chrome? I know that it is not the latest version (I am on 22.x), but not sure if using Leopard (i.e. 10.5) might only be supported by Chrome 21.x (I kind of doubt it, however).

Also have you tried other browsers (i.e. Safari or Firefox)?

This is the latest version of Chrome that runs on MacOS 10.5. Gmail works without a problem in Safari and Firefox on the same machine...

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postdmrochell, on 14 October 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

This is the latest version of Chrome that runs on MacOS 10.5. Gmail works without a problem in Safari and Firefox on the same machine...

Has Chrome always done this when you used it?

#5 User is offline   dmrochell 

• Pip

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postsmax013, on 14 October 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

View Postdmrochell, on 14 October 2012 - 07:12 AM, said:

Has Chrome always done this when you used it?

Yep, it's always given this error message...

#6 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Seems like it is a problem that has happened before:

https://productforum...Eeprc%5B1-25%5D

I did not read through much, but there might be suggestions on what to try in there.

FWIW, that thread starts off with it happening in the Windows version of Chrome, so I don't know if there are also posts from people using Chrome on a Mac.

Beyond that, I could only suggest removing and reinstalling Chrome and see if that helps. Otherwise, you might just have to use Firefox or Safari. Or be like me and use Apple Mail to access your Gmail account.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users