• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:10 PM

Post your comments for Which iPad should I buy? here

#2 User is offline   jbslough 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

Also on the cellular models you get GPS, that's not on the wifi ones. Not sure if tethering shares the GPS as I've never tried it.

#3 User is offline   baileyboytom 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Definition of "Shooting oneself in the foot" — Immediately ordering an iPad Mini 2 online from Apple thinking there will be a shortage of them, then seeing 2 days later the Mini's are readily available at your locale Apple Store, while your order makes it's way from China to Hong Kong to Taiwan to . . .

Tom

#4 User is offline   rigorkrad 

• Pip

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

jbslough said:

Also on the cellular models you get GPS, that's not on the wifi ones. Not sure if tethering shares the GPS as I've never tried it.

i think the rules that do i need a 3g plan are different now that tmobile gives away 200 mb a month. i think the real reason to get a cellular enabled ipad (with tmobiles offer) is not only the GPS but you will stand a much better chance of getting your lost or stolen ipad back, then a wifi only model. a locked by pin # wifi only ipad cannot connect to a random hotspot like McDonalds, and click i agree to tell find my iPhone where it is. and because the WiFi model does not lack a real gps, the location it gives you is a best guess, on where apple thinks your ipad is. with ios 7 and a WiFi only iPad it might take days or months or years to eventually find your iPad, and chances are that with a cellular enabled ipad and a free data plan (or you paying $14.99 for at&t ) your going to be getting the real location of your iost or stolen pad pretty dark quick.

#5 User is offline   KenJr 

• Pip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

baileyboytom said:

Definition of "Shooting oneself in the foot" — Immediately ordering an iPad Mini 2 online from Apple thinking there will be a shortage of them, then seeing 2 days later the Mini's are readily available at your locale Apple Store, while your order makes it's way from China to Hong Kong to Taiwan to . . . Tom

Ditto. Mine 'shipped' the day after I ordered it thus Apple wouldn't allow me to change or cancel the order. I ordered it on the 12th and it has since cycled back and forth between Shenzhen, China and Chek Lap Kok, Hong kong (it's still in Chek Lap Kok).

#6 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

I think it is also worth pointing out that the iPad Air has a better color gamut than either iPad mini or iPad 2. That is an important consideration for anyone considering using the iPad for photo editing. AnandTech has borne out the color gamut differences.

#7 User is offline   romad 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:13 AM

jbslough said:

And that is the problem. I have a need for WiFi & GPS, but NOT for a cellular network connection. GPS should be in all versions of the iPad & iPad Mini.

#8 User is offline   romad 

• PipPip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

rigorkrad said:

and because the WiFi model does not lack a real gps, the location it gives you is a best guess, on where apple thinks your ipad is.

Actually the WiFi-only model DOES LACK a real GPS; I think you meant to type "have" where you typed "lack". ;)

#9 User is offline   ChasRch 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Charlie's Apple Prediction ~ November 20, 2013:

In the future Apple will introduce a new MacBook Air 11”.

Features will be:

•┬áRetina Touch Screen

• Selectable OS

You can operate it as an iOS iPad with the simplicity of current iPads

- or-

Select OSX format for performing all computer operations

#10 User is offline   Tomona 

• Pip

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

White ipads look more stylish with color covers/cases.

#11 User is offline   rigorkrad 

• Pip

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

romad said:

rigorkrad said
and because the WiFi model does not lack a real gps, the location it gives you is a best guess, on where apple thinks your ipad is. Actually the WiFi-only model DOES LACK a real GPS; I think you meant to type "have" where you typed "lack".

Yes sorry about the typo

#12 User is offline   rigorkrad 

• Pip

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

romad said:

jbslough said
Also on the cellular models you get GPS, that's not on the wifi ones. Not sure if tethering shares the GPS as I've never tried it. And that is the problem. I have a need for WiFi & GPS, but NOT for a cellular network connection. GPS should be in all versions of the iPad & iPad Mini.

I think with all the iPad thefts, everyone needs GPS plus cellular. It's one thing when the cost of cellular will be $130 plus monthly fees, but the free data plan
That tmobile offers will reunite your lost iPad pretty instantly.

Maybe people don't trust cellular phone companies. They will gladly pay $99 for apple care plus or $129 for 3 years of square trade, but they won't pay $129 for the life of the device to speed up find my iPhone retrieval of their lost devices.

If you feel wronged about having to buy the GPS to get cellular functionality, go to your tmobile store and buy the $10 sim and activate your free data plan

AT&T and tmobile have a multi year roaming agreement because of the failed merger, so you can't use their network as an excuse.

I won't troll anymore, but honestly, if you lose your iPad on the freeway because you left it on the hood of a car, how is it going to find a wifi network to guess its location to you? Is it going to suddenly walk to star bucks ?

I wonder if the tmobile sim can work in future devices!

#13 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

Three reasons a Mini may be better for you:
  • Many of us got an iPad to fill in when away from our (more powerful, full size keyboard, screen props at any angle) MacBooks but still want a larger screen than on the iPhone. Portability then strongly favors the Mini which even fits into some jacket pockets.
  • The Minis are more comfortable to use when propped up in your lap or while walking around.
  • You may find it more natural to hold the Mini closer to your eyes than you would hold the bigger iPad. In that case, the perceived screen size is the same.

This post has been edited by Martian: 09 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users