Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Desparation - been trying to fix IMAC for 4 weeks HELP! PLEASE - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Desparation - been trying to fix IMAC for 4 weeks HELP! PLEASE TRIED FIXES FOR SPINNING WHEEL AND SCRIPT PROBLEMS

#1 User is offline   MyTwistedSister 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

It has been so long since I've been able to use my IMAC SnowLeopard I'm not sure I know what I'm doing anymore - and getting very frustrated and confused - I need stuff off this computer and can't get it to do anything.

Here's what happened: The last few times my computer was working when I would start it up I would get the message that I wasn't logged out of Firefox because there was a script running. And it said did I want to stop script which of course I did.

After a week or two - now when I start it all I get is spinning wheel.

It takes FOREVER to load to get to the spinning wheel.

Once I left it on for hours and hours and I came back and it finally had the regular screen you see but the second you move the mouse the wheel spins.

It says I have a script running do I want to stop it but like I said the second you move the mouse the wheel spins and you can't select anything with the mouse.

I tried to start it in safe mode but I don't think I ever did though I tried - the fact that it takes forever to load I can't sit there for hours at a time waiting for it so anyway.

I tried doing the PRAM THING but I either didn't do it right or else it didn't work.

On 2 different occasions I have run the Disk Repair and Permissions Repair with my disk that came with the computer.

The first time I did it the whole thing honestly took almost 24 hours but finally it said repaired but when I restarted my computer it was the same deal.

So a few days later I ran the repair again and again it took a long time, maybe 10 or 12 hours - I don't recall it being that time consuming when my computer was working.

Anyway the first time it said : Unable to repair disk back up your disk and re-install but I tried it AGAIN immediately and after another 10-12 hours it said disk repair successful.

I then did permissions repair and that was successful too but also time consuming.

But when I restart the computer its still the spinning wheel thing.

There are programs and stuff I could do / download to diagnose or whatever but like it is now I can't do anything with it and I'm desparate.

This thing isn't that old and I'm the only one who uses it so why it is like this IDK

I don't know how to do a clean install - I don't understand where to do the prompts and someone said its different on Snow Leopard.

I'm just about ready to throw it out for the trash man because I just can't seem to get anything and i cannot afford to take it to APPLE coz I'm flat broke.

This is a nightmare - it takes me forever to get up the courate to go try to work with it because it is so FRUSTRATING only to get nowhere.

Is there ANYBODY THAT can tell me something to try? I'm sure if I knew more about terminal I might be able to do something but I know nothing about it and I'm just ready to give up.

Thanks for reading.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

View PostMyTwistedSister, on 05 November 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

It has been so long since I've been able to use my IMAC SnowLeopard I'm not sure I know what I'm doing anymore - and getting very frustrated and confused - I need stuff off this computer and can't get it to do anything.

Here's what happened: The last few times my computer was working when I would start it up I would get the message that I wasn't logged out of Firefox because there was a script running. And it said did I want to stop script which of course I did.

After a week or two - now when I start it all I get is spinning wheel.

It takes FOREVER to load to get to the spinning wheel.

Once I left it on for hours and hours and I came back and it finally had the regular screen you see but the second you move the mouse the wheel spins.

It says I have a script running do I want to stop it but like I said the second you move the mouse the wheel spins and you can't select anything with the mouse.

I tried to start it in safe mode but I don't think I ever did though I tried - the fact that it takes forever to load I can't sit there for hours at a time waiting for it so anyway.

I tried doing the PRAM THING but I either didn't do it right or else it didn't work.

On 2 different occasions I have run the Disk Repair and Permissions Repair with my disk that came with the computer.

The first time I did it the whole thing honestly took almost 24 hours but finally it said repaired but when I restarted my computer it was the same deal.

So a few days later I ran the repair again and again it took a long time, maybe 10 or 12 hours - I don't recall it being that time consuming when my computer was working.

Anyway the first time it said : Unable to repair disk back up your disk and re-install but I tried it AGAIN immediately and after another 10-12 hours it said disk repair successful.

I then did permissions repair and that was successful too but also time consuming.

But when I restart the computer its still the spinning wheel thing.

There are programs and stuff I could do / download to diagnose or whatever but like it is now I can't do anything with it and I'm desparate.

This thing isn't that old and I'm the only one who uses it so why it is like this IDK

I don't know how to do a clean install - I don't understand where to do the prompts and someone said its different on Snow Leopard.

I'm just about ready to throw it out for the trash man because I just can't seem to get anything and i cannot afford to take it to APPLE coz I'm flat broke.

This is a nightmare - it takes me forever to get up the courate to go try to work with it because it is so FRUSTRATING only to get nowhere.

Is there ANYBODY THAT can tell me something to try? I'm sure if I knew more about terminal I might be able to do something but I know nothing about it and I'm just ready to give up.

Thanks for reading.

The first thing is to clarify if you have data that you need that is on the computer. You kind of imply that there is data on the computer that you need, but then you mention a clean install.

So, is there data on the computer that you need? Or are you OK if it is just a matter of wiping the drive and re-installing the Mac OS clean? These answers will basically lead in two directions.

#3 User is offline   tigerboatman 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:49 AM

View PostMyTwistedSister, on 05 November 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

Thanks for reading.

So..... did you give up? Throw it in the bin? (vcan I have it?)

anyway...seriously....

question 1: do you have Time Machine backup?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users