Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: iPad mini Smart Cover disappoints compared to its predecessor - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: iPad mini Smart Cover disappoints compared to its predecessor

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Post your comments for Review: iPad mini Smart Cover disappoints compared to its predecessor here

#2 User is offline   bamboozle 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I just returned my 2nd-gen smart cover. I used it for about an hour and knew immediately it sucked. The edges are pointy and sharp. All the way around.

Also, the cover is about a 1/16" shorter all the war around, you find yourself clawing and digging at the cover to open it.

Big swing and a miss. Especially for $50.

#3 User is offline   Bakari45r3wg 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hmmm, I'm a little confused about your criticism of the Smart Cover. I've been using it for four days now, and it is never detached itself from the mini, not even accidentally. It goes back just fine, allow me to get a better grip on the device. And when I hold the cover behind the iPad mini I don't get "access cover overhanging the signed." Here's how mine's looks: http://i49.tinypic.com/5obe50.jpg. Hope I'm not misunderstanding you here.

However, I do wish that third-party developers could incorporate the smart cover technology and develop more stylish looking covers. The mini begs for some awesome artistic and literary style design covers, instead of the plain old single color covers that diminish the style and form factor of the mini.

#4 User is offline   alterbentzion 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

"You can instead swing the cover complete around the iPad mini, 180 degrees, but since it can’t cling magnetically to the rear right edge of the iPad, the side of the cover droops down lazily."

I don't know - mine clings magnetically! However, the weight of the cover pulls it off if I don't support the middle.

#5 User is offline   haldor42 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

To solve the Drooping over with my regular sized iPad, ( should work with the Mini too...) I simply cut a small circle of velcro and stuck the fuzzy side on the Black Plastic Apple Logo and placed the hooks on the cover of the iPad Cover (it was also black so you could hardly see it.) problem solved! Maybe I should be standing in line at the patent office...

#6 User is offline   haldor42 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

"You can instead swing the cover complete around the iPad mini, 180 degrees, but since it can’t cling magnetically to the rear right edge of the iPad, the side of the cover droops down lazily." I don't know - mine clings magnetically! However, the weight of the cover pulls it off if I don't support the middle.

#7 User is offline   haldor42 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

One word "Velcro" :)

#8 User is offline   LexFriedman 

• Group: Moderators

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

it is never detached itself from the mini, not even accidentally. ... And when I hold the cover behind the iPad mini I don't get "access cover overhanging the signed."

I did hear from other folks who had the same accidental detachment issue I describe—I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy or using a lemon. A couple other Macworld staffers and contributors reported the same issue I encountered, as well.

You're folding the cover all the way around. That works, ish, though I don't love it. I'm referring to folding it over on itself before putting it along the back, which doesn't work with the small cover.

#9 User is offline   pcharles 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I just returned my 2nd-gen smart cover. I used it for about an hour and knew immediately it sucked.

My thought exactly! It is hard to imagine that the iPad Mini cover could be worse than the iPad "smart" cover, which would fall off at every opportunity. I ended up with a Roocase because I could not stand the "smart" case after using it for just a few hours. I quite like the look of the smart cover, and I loved the original iPad cover.

#10 User is offline   Bakari45r3wg 

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

You're folding the cover all the way around. That works, ish, though I don't love it. I'm referring to folding it over on itself before putting it along the back, which doesn't work with the small cover.

Okay, I see what you mean.

#11 User is offline   rthuringer 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

I still can't believe that Apple hasn't yet added magnets to hold the Smart Cover to the back of any of the iPads by now.. The mini is better in that because of its size, there is enough magnetic pull to hold it it the back side slightly. The mini cover is slightly over priced I think. No fancy metal hinges, should be cheap. I had the primo leather cover on my iPad 2 then used it on my 3rd gen iPad but it started de-laminating, unacceptable for a $70 cover. I have no complaints with the mini cover thus far except the price tag.

#12 User is offline   NorCalDocumentarist 

• Pip

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

I agree with you on both accounts. Mine works fine but I'd like style options. That's what makes the Barnes and Noble Nook lines so cool.

Hmmm, I'm a little confused about your criticism of the Smart Cover. I've been using it for four days now, and it is never detached itself from the mini, not even accidentally. It goes back just fine, allow me to get a better grip on the device. And when I hold the cover behind the iPad mini I don't get "access cover overhanging the signed." Here's how mine's looks: http://i49.tinypic.com/5obe50.jpg. Hope I'm not misunderstanding you here. However, I do wish that third-party developers could incorporate the smart cover technology and develop more stylish looking covers. The mini begs for some awesome artistic and literary style design covers, instead of the plain old single color covers that diminish the style and form factor of the mini.

#13 User is offline   bonaccij 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

I'm not quite sure why you are having such issues. I fold mine all the way over and the magnets hold it in place on the back of the mini just fine. By folding it all the way across the back, you also get an extra 1/8" on the left-hand side of the mini to comfortably rest your thumb so that you can hold it even better.

In general, with both a regular, full-sized iPad as well with the mini, the challenge has always been hold to hold it efficiently. Personally, when holding the mini in my right hand, I like to fold over the mini Smart Cover and place my index and middle fingers between the Smart Cover and the back of the iPad mini, while placing my thumb along the chamfer. This, then puts the Smart Cover between my middle finger and ring finger and really gives me a nice combination of support and freedom of movement. If I choose to hold it in my left hand, the I use the accordion method. I also completely hold the Smart Cover, so that the left corner of the mini rests almost on the heel of my hand.

I don't know. I have never had an issue with the hinge releasing and this snappy little device has gone everywhere with me since the day I got it. I even have done demonstrations where I show people how strong the new magnet is and how well it holds. Just surprised to hear you saying that it is coming unhinged. Never happened here.

#14 User is offline   holagrave 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

S. Jobs - "You're holding it wrong."

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users