Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Design, supply component issues may be hurting iPhone 5 production - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Design, supply component issues may be hurting iPhone 5 production

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Post your comments for Design, supply component issues may be hurting iPhone 5 production here

#2 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

I love it that the shortage is attributed to "very high standards where it aims to produce each model to be an exact replica where variance is measured in microns" and that somehow causes another analyst to state "Android phones are much more competitive". Yeah, sure, for low-quality, poor fit-and-finish, plastic toys that end up being used for voice, text, AngryBirds, and little else (according to web statistics measuring usage by device type). I am happy to wait for an iPhone that is of superior quality. Thank you, Apple!

#3 User is offline   canamrotax 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Even with the carrier rushing our corporate order we still only received our iPhone 5 units today. Thankfully no one was in dire need of a new phone, we were really just switching carriers and this was an opportune time. I can see that other situations would not have waited, and with the Nexus 4 coming out at such a great price, and being unlocked, that will be my next personal phone.

#4 User is offline   jerseid 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

I love it that the shortage is attributed to "very high standards where it aims to produce each model to be an exact replica where variance is measured in microns" and that somehow causes another analyst to state "Android phones are much more competitive". Yeah, sure, for low-quality, poor fit-and-finish, plastic toys that end up being used for voice, text, AngryBirds, and little else (according to web statistics measuring usage by device type). I am happy to wait for an iPhone that is of superior quality. Thank you, Apple!

I think people would opt for a older iPhone before hopping to a Droid device.

#5 User is offline   Bucky 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

Those pesky high standards. Who needs them!
If I wanted a phone with low standards and build quality I would buy a Shamsung. It will last 6-12 months before exhibiting the symptoms of low standards. Oh, but wait, carrier contracts are 2 years. Well, I guess all the money I saved will go toward replacing it under contract with another phone of lessor standards.
Oh yea, there is the backward compatibility of future OS updates, and apps, not to mention resale value. I bought apps once and they moved to my next iPhone, a one-time purchase, not each time I bought a new phone. IO6 on a 3GS, not a problem. Hardware and software are 4+ years and 3 generations apart. If your older phone doesn't have the hardware for new features in the new OS, not a problem.
After 2.5 years of use, I sold my clean 3GS iPhone to a nice school girl on Craigslist for $175. Neither she nor her dad even tried to haggle over price.
When considering a smartphone purchase, perhaps more caveat emptor
and less carpe diem would be prudent.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users