Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Apple seeks standard to appease angry university net managers - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple seeks standard to appease angry university net managers

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Post your comments for Apple seeks standard to appease angry university net managers here

#2 User is offline   rob53 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

The funny thing about this article is that the university and corporate networks are so inundated with other network traffic for intrusion detection and Windows anti-virus checks that they complain about MDNS because it's something they can't control. Yes, it would be nice if MDNS went across routers but one of the nice and secure things about MDNS is it doesn't cross routers. I hope this is taken into consideration.

#3 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

And let's look at similar protocols such as netbios/WINS that let you proxy across subsets but offer little more in terms of bandwidth management. Just slapping together a knee jerk response isn't the way to go.

I like Apples approach - if we're going to extend it, lets do it in a useful and manageable way. Anything they can do is positive and very welcome!

#4 User is offline   lrb55 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Pls help me here. Many managers would likely wish to block Bonjour altogether as another sacrifice on the altar of 'network security'. Why the apparent reversal.

Thanx

LRB

#5 User is offline   tms 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

Hah -- I like how the word 'fix' is used to address the changes being requested. Augment, boost, enhance, expand, extend or supplement would be far more accurate. Quite apparent is the fact that Bonjour wasn't developed to be scalable. Asking for that change isn't asking for it to be 'fixed'. There is nothing wrong with it per se. People just want to use it for purposes beyond it's design.

#6 User is offline   Stewsburntmonkey 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

View Posttms, on 08 November 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Hah -- I like how the word 'fix' is used to address the changes being requested. Augment, boost, enhance, expand, extend or supplement would be far more accurate. Quite apparent is the fact that Bonjour wasn't developed to be scalable. Asking for that change isn't asking for it to be 'fixed'. There is nothing wrong with it per se. People just want to use it for purposes beyond it's design.

Yeah, the managers don't really seem angry either, but why would anyone click on an article more accurately entitled "University Net Managers Seek Apple Help to Improve Standard"?

#7 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

tms said
Yeah, the managers don't really seem angry either, but why would anyone click on an article more accurately entitled "University Net Managers Seek Apple Help to Improve Standard"?

Yes, I thought at first the article was going to be about the dwindling OS X server functionality or perhaps crappy SMB support.

#8 User is offline   xeroply2 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

... said Check Point Fellow Bob Hinden. “It’s a real problem today ...

You know what's a real problem, Fellow Bob? The fact that your Check Point VPN client for the Mac has a terrible user experience and is unstable. How about Check Point getting the proverbial plank out of its own eye first before going around criticizing Apple technology?

#9 User is offline   chiggsy 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Actually, I think a point is being missed here. The complaint is that Bonjour, which is wildly popular for people relaxing at home, is causing problems in places where people are working. This is quite sensible, home users, especially Apple home users, are by and large, non-technical, at least with regards to Apple devices.

That's good design, and great marketing. Average engineering though. It's the sort of problem that won't show up until you really start moving product, as Apple has with IOS.

Bonjour will still work with the changes, they sensibly want to keep the noise down from every Apple device in the area. Apple seems to be having problems keeping up with maintenance. Sure, they still innovate, and the marketing has driven huge demand, but this success may not last. Apple fanboys never were numerous before iOS, and because of the boutique style of the market, a market of home users, they were able to make big changes, and change how people used the devices.

Thing is, though, that is pretty irritating stuff if you don't happen to have several years invested in the culture. Engineering excellence combined with brilliant design as well as a willingness to change directions got Apple here.

But now this is the big leagues. The users no longer ache to be part of the in crowd, they just use it because it's easy to get. They won't enjoy constant changes anymore than I do, especially when the hype is so great, and the services so sketchy.

I personally have great issue with this exact facet of mDNS: all the chatter it makes. Microsoft can't change, they had their chance, and Google is not really interested. Apple is in front, for now. They need to step up, and be innovative and consistent, so that I don't lose things that made my life easier, and the device enhances my life.

Don't get me wrong, Bonjour is great! But iDevices announce themselves to the world all the time, even when the protocol is out of range. That's inefficient. It's a good job started, but not finished. That's not how they got here. But it is how they'll leave.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users