Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: AT&T to expand FaceTime over cellular access to tiered LTE customers - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AT&T to expand FaceTime over cellular access to tiered LTE customers

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

Post your comments for AT&T to expand FaceTime over cellular access to tiered LTE customers here

#2 User is offline   Moondougie 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm thinking I might let my current AT&T contract expire before getting my next iPhone. I'm one of the grandfathered unlimited users and am past tired of not being able to tether or facetime. If they want me to go to another company, then I'm about ready to agree with them and make the switch…I guess they won't miss my steady monthly payment and can readily replace it with a new customer if I leave.

#3 User is offline   zvandiver 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

So with my "unlimited only full speed for 5gb, throttled back too slow for FaceTime after that" plan that I have had for 5 years and never missed a payment, I am screwed.

#4 User is offline   doglesby 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

What if you have an iPhone 5, but aren't in an area with LTE coverage? Is the tiered LTE plan sufficient, or will they still block FaceTime over 4G?

#5 User is offline   loup407 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

That might be dandy if you live in one of the 4 or 5 cities in which AT&T has deployed LTE. Us in Denver will likely be on our iPhone mini 8 before we get LTE.
I can't wait for my AT&T contract expire. (Can you tell?)

#6 User is offline   TrevorRu 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

So with my "unlimited only full speed for 5gb, throttled back too slow for FaceTime after that" plan that I have had for 5 years and never missed a payment, I am screwed.

I'm with you -- AT&T are abusing their loyal (I use the term loosely) customers who have been on their network for a significant time (or else they wouldn't be on the unlimited plan).
I have paid for my phones many many times over and contributed handsomely to their profits when you factor in the normal charges, plus payments for international calls and the (still) absurdly expensive international data roaming I need for business. In fact, I reckon I have paid AT&T well in excess of $15,000 since my first iPhone (and who knows how much before that), but because I choose to stay on their unlimited plan, I can't use FaceTime on cellular.
Can't wait to change my provider...

#7 User is offline   Moondougie 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

wouldn't it be cool if they actually had someone reading these things and realized that there were many more of us out there and are sitting on a powder keg, that they are holding a lit match awfully close to the fuse they themselves have set…and then actually got wise and rewarded their loyal customers with a little loving loyalty back at us?

I guess I can dream…much like I was before Tuesday night.

#8 User is offline   MtnBiker 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Lousy business model. Screw your loyal customers. Many of us have kept our phones past their two-year renewal cycle and AT&T benefits from that. We keep paying the premium that pays for the phone while not benefiting. They are obviously trying to force us off of unlimited data. Doesn't seem fair or maybe even legal—although it probably is or some lawyer would have a class action suit going.

One phone is past the two-year cycle and the other one will be in less than a year. Probably could sell the 4S to pay the penalty, but will probably wait anyway to make it easier. In a year will access which company is the better deal. AT&T already takes two hits because I can't use one of them overseas with another GSM card and AT&T's service is worse.

#9 User is offline   loup407 

• PipPip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:50 PM

Lets not forget that ATT's business model was Ma Bell. Back in the olden days, when we all had a black phone screwed to the wall; if you read your phone bill carefully, you learned that you were making lease payments for your phone, as well as charged for calls. This "lease payment" never ended. All the cell companies in the US are all sprung from Baby Bells and use a similar business model, which is why they all suck, just differently.
I really thought AT&T's big day of reckoning would be when one could buy iPhones from Verizon. I expected millions to shift; but don't think the scale was that large. I HATE AT&T, but that didnt really motivate me to change, yet.

#10 User is offline   Jojhutton 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

1 more year and I switch to sprint. Still unlimited and I get all the phone can dish out, rather than have some features restricted.

#11 User is offline   tlochner 

• Pip

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:41 PM

Yeah it seems its time to go to Sprint. Hopefully by the time my new contract is up they will be like ATT able to talk, text, surf!

#12 User is offline   CraigBlackburnv8ad 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

I'm thinking I might let my current AT&T contract expire before getting my next iPhone. I'm one of the grandfathered unlimited users and am past tired of not being able to tether or facetime. If they want me to go to another company, then I'm about ready to agree with them and make the switch…I guess they won't miss my steady monthly payment and can readily replace it with a new customer if I leave.

Try Cydia,
A $15 app will get you tethered with no monthly fee. I think there's also a FaceTime bypass as well. If you really want to see what your device can do there is no other way. Just hold out if you have IOS 6 installed.

#13 User is offline   sternlight 

• PipPip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Agree. Customer loyalty seems of little concern to AT&T.

#14 User is offline   RbtMartin 

• Pip

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:31 PM

Since anyone with a unlimited data plan HAS to be a long-time customer (since they stop doing unlimited data) Can not use FaceTime over cellular, even if your using an iPhone 5. We can't use a a Mobile Hot Spot and they throttle back our speed

It seems that their plan it get us to CHANGE our plan to one that would cost us more and give us less data.

Hmmmmmm....let me think about this, done! I'll be looking for a new carrier.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users