Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old movies to DVD Converting film to DVD

#1 User is offline   jayemski 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

Is there anyone who can help me convert my family's old home movies to a format I can import into iMovie? I have a boxful of old Regular 8 and Super 8 home movies dating back to 1949. I have a projector, too. I want to convert these films to a format that can be imported into iMovie. I asked the guys at the Apple "Genius Bar" and they thought old movies meant VHS. Not much help there. I went to the local video store. They did convert my film to a DVD, but iMovie would not accept it. After asking questions, I found out about Mac the Ripper and Hand Brake. What I do now is take the DVD from the video store, run it through Mac the Ripper and then convert it to MPEG4 with Hand Brake. Yes, iMovie accepted the MPEG4 format, but it seems like a lot of steps. Is there anything out there that will make this process easier? Shorter? Better quality? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postjayemski, on 08 November 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Is there anyone who can help me convert my family's old home movies to a format I can import into iMovie? I have a boxful of old Regular 8 and Super 8 home movies dating back to 1949. I have a projector, too. I want to convert these films to a format that can be imported into iMovie. I asked the guys at the Apple "Genius Bar" and they thought old movies meant VHS. Not much help there. I went to the local video store. They did convert my film to a DVD, but iMovie would not accept it. After asking questions, I found out about Mac the Ripper and Hand Brake. What I do now is take the DVD from the video store, run it through Mac the Ripper and then convert it to MPEG4 with Hand Brake. Yes, iMovie accepted the MPEG4 format, but it seems like a lot of steps. Is there anything out there that will make this process easier? Shorter? Better quality? Thanks!

You can skip Mac The Ripper and do it all from Handbrake. Rip it in Apple TV 2 format.

Do NOT pay for a video converter app. The vast majority are junk, promoted via spam.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users